No! First They Came for The ARTISTS (Unfinished Because It's Actually True)
I Am Schizophrenic I:
How I Got Put in the Loony
Bin
Other possible series
titles:
Of a Schizophrenic
Madness and Mental
Institutions
Schizophrenia
The Schizophrenic
Ahmad Stokes
For Patti Vassi, my grade school
teacher who started me on the wonderful journey that has been my life
as a writer
And for all us crazy folk- because
sanity is- and always has been- for pansies.
Chapter I
The Cutter’s
Punishment
Once upon a time, there was an idiot
and a failure with hardly any friends, an idiot who deserved to die.
That idiot was I.
Not that I still think of myself that
way. You’ll see.
I’ll have to
start at the beginning. I pray that as you read about my journey, it
will help you on yours- for there are more of us than you may think.
The bulk of the people of the world
are not us. They do not live on the underbelly. They are not
stereotyped or suppressed. They are just normal people, and they are
not us.
So maybe you’re
not one of us. But if you are, if you’re one of us… and even if
you’re not… there’s something to be learned from these pages.
The clearest beginning for my story is
one hot late afternoon in Spring spent in my bedroom with a knife
under my bed. I had kept it there for the last few weeks, during
which my turmoil had worsened. This was to be nearly the last time I
would cut myself in a long time, but for a bad reason rather than
good, and not by my choice.
I was struggling
with Math homework that had once been easy for me. As had been the
case on many a night before, this night found me stressed out and
frustrated, which, as on many a night before, turned my mind toward
my own inadequacy and self-hatred.
Slashing my arms, breaking things,
jumping off buildings: these were the angry desires flooding my
mind.
I shoved these thoughts out of my head
again and turned back to my math homework. I was going to do it, end
of story. And I wasn’t going to cut myself again- that was final.
I tried to remember the acronym that
gave the formula for calculating angles and sides of a triangle-
SAKAKOA? That didn’t make any sense. There should be nine
letters, not seven. My mind was foggy, which it had been most of the
day- maybe if I could actually focus in class I’d retain this stuff
better. Mrs. Willows said I was smart, but then, so did all the kids
who picked on me by laughing at me.
No. Focus, I thought. My thoughts
were racing. I did not want to do this damn homework. I wanted to
do something else. I needed a break.
But I had so much to do.
“You’re okay,” a little voice
inside me said. It came as though from outside, but it was a thought
inside my head.
“No you’re not,” said another.
The first seemed to love me, the other to hate me.
The tension started to eat away at me.
I threw the pencil across the room; it hit the dresser. Stupid me.
Throwing temper tantrums. I bent over backward and hit the bed with
my fist. Pathetic. I barely managed to hit it. In frustration, I
pounded myself in the head.
The first punch sent a jolt of pain
into the side of my head, and part of me screamed to stop, while the
rest of me ached to go on, to assuage my dark desires.
The second punch almost scared me, and
the pain became an ache I knew would remain. I felt satisfaction at
my getting my just deserts.
The third punch made my right ear
ring, and fear coursed through my veins, which pulsated audibly in my
head.
My vision had gone
dark in areas, so that light and dark shifted across the room. I
stared off into space for a moment in this way, body still except for
a slight sway back and forth from dizziness. My head started to
clear, my vision started to stabilize again, and the little thoughts
in the back of my head started to go at it once more.
I stopped for a minute to take in the
messages I was getting.
“What are you
doing? Losing the only fight you’re man enough to get into?”
said the critical voice. “What kind of man are you?”
Temper tantrums, I
thought. These were just temper tantrums. The ache on the side of
my head was nothing. Flagellation at best. A real man would do
something better. Only, I wasn’t sure these were actually my
thoughts.
“Don’t listen
to him,” came the first thought. It was so intertwined with the
thoughts inside my head, I wasn’t certain if it was me or something
external. “I love you.”
Something nagged at the back of my
mind- an identity. “You’re not God,” I thought back to the
source. “I am not capable of speaking to God. Leave me alone.”
And the good voice did.
“You deserve to die,” said the
critical voice. “Give yourself a taste of Hell.”
Yes, I thought. Punish myself. With
a knife. Punish myself for not being able to focus. For being so
socially inept that half the school picked on me. For worrying poor
Mother sick. Didn’t she understand I wasn’t worth it?
I laughed to
myself, listening to that odd sound, so distant. It struck an odd
note in my mind because it sounded maniacal. I didn’t feel
maniacal- but I sounded like it.
“Everyone hates you,” said the
critical spirit.
“I know,” I
answered mentally.
It was true. I was
worthless. I didn’t admit it to anyone- not that they were right,
not even that I’d picked up on how they felt. I could see it in
the way they looked at me, feel it extending from their thoughts,
always there behind their words. None of them thought I deserved to
live, not even the ones who pretended to like me.
“You have
issues,” said the critical spirit.
“I know,” I
said, for this was also true: I knew I had issues. I knew I wasn’t
“cool,” and yes, I really could count my friends on one hand, and
no, I didn’t have any common sense. That’s why I hated myself.
“What kind of
loser doesn’t have any friends? Come on,” it said, pleading with
me to get the knife.
Then I felt a
struggle inside my head, and the first spirit was back. “I love
you,” it said. The next part I blocked out because it said
something about the other spirit being the Devil, and I wasn’t
willing to listen. Then it said, “Choose.”
I waited for a few
moments, but nothing came. Neither would speak to me anymore. Maybe
they went away because I wasn’t worth the trouble. Was I worth
anything? I must be going mad, and even my own hallucinations
wouldn’t stay with me. I was that much of a loser.
Or were they real?
Suddenly the desire for relief became
overwhelming. I lifted up my mattress and grabbed the steak knife
underneath.
I paused, breathing heavily. I fought
for control inside me, the tip against my arm. Something cooled
down, and then I put it back.
I turned to my work. I looked for the
formula.
Suddenly I was daydreaming about
Johnny making fun of me again- only in my daydream, I made a fool out
of him, not the other way around, and then he attacked me- and I beat
the tar out of him. I wished I could do that in real life.
I swore at myself loudly and hit the
text book. The glossy page tore. I swore again and tossed the book
halfway across the room to the dresser. It struck and fell to the
sound of rustling pages. It came to rest, half open, on the floor, a
section of the pages bent so that little spaces of darkness peered
out at me from the middle of the crease.
I was so careless.
I hated that about myself.
I lifted the
mattress again, grabbed the knife, and put the tip of it to my arm.
I tore across flesh, oh it felt good.
A red line appeared, but still no blood. Not too late to stop. No
one would notice this, not yet…
I was breathing heavy. Rasping. It
wasn’t because I was tired; it was more that I was so desperate and
tense I had to have some outlet of all the storming energy inside me.
“I don’t need to cut myself,” I
reaffirmed. I looked at the steak knife in my hand, eyeing it as
light glinted off it from the lamp behind me.
I could hear birds singing outside,
and the buzz of some sort of insect. It was a pretty day. The moon
would be out come nightfall, full and beautiful.
I had already thought of going to bed
for a while, even though I had an appointment with Dr. Clellum
tonight- but I needed to do my homework. Maybe I should go to bed
anyway, I thought. No. They wanted me to suffer. Everyone in my
life knew I deserved what must come next.
I started cutting again. The pain
increased my worth, helped me assuage my self-loathing, much like a
kid who tells his friends, “I’m sorry. You can hit me if you
feel like it.”
As I dragged the knife across my arm,
first a white line appeared where the flesh had been torn- and then
it turned red.
For a moment, my mind was clear in
savage satisfaction, and then I stopped, and my thoughts grew
troubled again.
At times like these, I wondered why
the tension came because I honestly didn’t know. I just knew that
it did, and that when it did, I was powerless to halt the
self-destruction that inevitably followed. Shrinks hold that it’s
possible to resist it; but given enough impetus, a homeless person
will steal food if his belly aches. Given enough impetus, an angered
man or woman will shout or swear or strike. Given enough impetus, a
tormented soul will find a knife and drive lines into his flesh.
I tried not to admit to myself that
the same held true for suicide. It was different, I told myself.
And if I did kill myself, I wouldn’t go to Hell, I thought. That
was just a scare tactic. It had to be. At the same time, I half
wondered, half hoped, that all religions were wrong, and that after
that knife finally found its way to my wrists, I would just die. The
end.
I looked at the thin red line on my
arm from the stroke of steel against flesh. There had been a time
when it would have scared me to see that on someone- a time when I
would have avoided someone like that.
Why?
Because I’d
thought people like that had issues. And now I was the one with
issues. Was I losing it?
Dr. Clellum would
never say. I wondered if I should tell her I was cutting myself. I
wondered what waited for me behind that cautious face.
The tension took me
over again, like a wave in a storm knocking a fishing boat around.
My arms flailed wildly, grasping at empty air and striking nothing in
particular, but bending, writhing rapidly in aggression at the only
medium I could hit without causing harm: the air. I dropped the
knife, and I grabbed my head, rocking back and forth. I swore
loudly several times. I really hoped no one would hear me, but my
tension overpowered my reason.
Something was so wrong, and I didn’t
have a clue what. Tense moments like these were commonplace now.
They kept coming, and more and more frequently. I wasn’t even sure
why it was I was so hard on myself, or what it really was that
bothered me so much at this exact moment. All I knew was I couldn’t
stand myself. And I didn’t think I could hold out much longer.
I deserved to die.
I couldn’t stand it anymore. I
grabbed the knife again, dragged the tip along my arm once more. I
stopped. What would happen if someone saw? No one had yet, though.
I kept going, giving a brief pause for the thoughts of 1) I was going
out with Jessica to prom in two or three weeks, which would be fun,
and 2) wondering what she’d say if she found out what I was doing
right now- and then kept cutting myself.
The pain felt good. Sharp. It felt
good to punish myself for how worthless I felt. I hated my life. I
hated being picked on. I hated myself. I didn’t deserve any of
the stuff I had. And I couldn’t stand how I felt. I wanted it to
be over. Life was a nightmare, a maze with no way out because I
could never see anything past a few days ahead anymore- a few days
ahead, I’d be miserable still. But part of me didn’t care. I
deserved it.
I was worthless. When I died, when I
finally got up the balls to finish it, everyone would be a lot better
off.
No one would have to put up with me.
No one would have to worry about me
anymore.
I wouldn’t be able to bother people
or bring them down because I’d be dead.
Dead people don’t cause all the
people they care about trouble- because dead people are dead.
I stopped. I felt
chagrin. None of the cuts were more than a red line. I cut myself
more, pressing even harder as I tore the tip of the knife along my
arm. Pain seared again along my flesh, satisfying, almost like food
in a hungry man’s stomach. I wondered what would happen if I died.
Surely life dead was better than life alive. Every religion said
the afterlife was pure joy. Hard to imagine. Or maybe I’d just be
dead, end of story. What a relief it would be, I thought, to stop
existing.
Now some of the old
cuts were bleeding, and a thin red layer stayed over my arm as I
wiped at it. The blood was slightly sticky, and looked filmy, like
the putrefied film over an old lake.
I swore to myself,
nervous. What would my parents do if they noticed? Suddenly I was
afraid. My God, what would happen? I wondered if things could get
any worse. Maybe; but then, the beast that was my soul had long
since consumed me.
I was starting to
feel better about myself. Knowing I’d been punished for my
worthlessness always made me feel more redeemable.
Yet the tension and
self-hatred had been replaced by fear. Where was I headed in life?
My dad’s voice was ringing in my head: “You’re headed nowhere
good.” My eyes narrowed at the thought of Dad and all his
criticism. As if it wasn’t plain enough to me already.
He’d be better
off if I was dead, too.
But I hated him
more than I hated myself, so I wasn’t eager to give him that
satisfaction, at least not without some kind of last laugh.
I was stupid, I
didn’t fit in, and no one liked me. Everyone was getting tired of
me by now, I knew. So was I. So everything he said when he screamed
at me was true. And somehow I yearned for him to love me anyway.
I was ashamed now
because no one loved me, and all I could do to cope was put more and
more scars on my arm.
I reached out
mentally, trying to contact the spirits from before.
“You have
chosen,” came a little voice in the back of my head. It felt like
it was God, in a way so strong it was hard to deny. But no, I told
myself. People can’t talk to God.
I didn’t want to
cut myself again. The idea set me on edge. It was a slippery slope
I had headed down, but I tried not to think that I’d be skidding
back down it before a few days were up.
“You know you
will be,” said the critical voice, and the sensation of laughter
filled me.
I told myself it
was lying. If it was real, it was lying. If it wasn’t, it didn’t
matter what it said.
I wouldn’t be, I
told myself.
Or maybe I was
being like the cancer patients who tried to live normal lives. Maybe
I was in denial.
This could not
happen again, this could not happen again, this could not happen
again, I told myself.
I dropped the knife
to my lap and looked at it in repulsion. I wanted it to disappear; I
didn’t want to believe it was mine, or that it had anything to do
with me. I put it back under my bed.
If they found the
blood on it, what would Mom and Dad do? I didn’t want them to know
what this was like. I couldn’t tell them. I was ashamed to think
of what kind of trouble I’d cause Mom and Dad if I told them- Dad
would just be angry, maybe shocked, maybe even scared. That didn’t
bother me much.
Mom would have a
nervous breakdown. I felt guilty just for the thought that it could
happen if she found out.
I didn’t want to
wind up in the paper, mother so upset, so heartbroken, because her
baby committed suicide. The thought scared me. And what was after
this?
As for Dad, the
thought of him crying in grievous remorse lightened my heart a bit.
Or would they just
be glad the house had gone peaceful again?
The way things
were, I was sure that I would die by suicide. I wasn’t sure yet if
I preferred sooner or later, or if this was more good than bad, or
more bad than good.
I was never scared
when I was depressed. Then, I didn’t ever care about the fact that
I was cutting myself. It felt good. Redeeming myself was
satisfying. It was after my makeshift cure had worked that I got
scared. Like I was now.
I wondered if Dr.
Clellum really could help.
I grabbed the “Are
you depressed?” pamphlet she’d given me and toyed with it in my
fingers. Are you losing interest in daily activities? Yes. Do you
ever think about suicide? Yeah.
Is anyone stupid
enough to tell a shrink that? Hopefully not.
Or maybe I was.
She’d asked me
every imaginable question just to get me to open up, and now she was
skating uncomfortably close to the brink of my dark side, calmly, as
though she did it all the time.
I looked at the
pamphlet.
According to it, I
was depressed and must be having a rough time. I’m telling you, it
takes a genius to draw that conclusion. I wondered what happened
after you admitted to things like, “Have you ever felt the need to
punish yourself physically?”
I thought about it.
Really, what did I
have to lose? She was bound to secrecy, so she couldn’t tell Mom-
unless I threatened to hurt myself. Hmm. I wondered if cutting
myself counted. I really wasn’t sure. It wasn’t suicide, at
least.
But I didn’t have
to tell her everything. I could skate around the brink a little
more. Maybe even mention questioning my own sanity.
I looked up from my
deep thinking, startled. I had thought that I’d seen someone
standing there, a wisp of a man, colors forming a shape that had
disappeared when I looked up. But there was no one there. I stared
at the curtain the image had stood in front of and shook my head,
scared. That was another thing I’d have to ask her about.
Someday. Not tonight. I didn’t want her to think I was crazy.
I’d figure that out for myself, if I was.
There was that
thought in my mind that I tried not to let get to the front: What if
I am? What do I do?
I shoved it out
successfully, my mind numb.
I got up, walked
out of my room to my bathroom. Mom had wanted me to clean it. I
never could get around to it, and it showed. A rag on the floor; a
stained toilet; a hair-lined sink. And my dad was a lawyer. I
laughed to myself, shutting the door as I turned on the water. I was
really careful to get all the blood off. Unfortunately, the lines
looked pretty noticeable.
The phrase, “You
have chosen” kept echoing in my mind. What did it mean?
I had something
flash before my eyes, so vivid it was almost real. I was standing
before a large reception desk, turning to look at Mom and Dad. A
nurse was beside me with a camera. There was an Easter Bunny near
me.
And then, with a
jolt, I was back where I was.
I was scared.
“You crazy fool,”
said the critical voice.
“Believe,” said
the good voice.
“Shut up,” I
said to both of them mentally.
I walked back into
my room and put on a black long sleeved shirt.
I hoped no one made
any smart-aleck comments about it being spring.
Chapter II
The Shrink
Dr. Clellum’s office was fragrant.
She had lavender in little glass dishes practically everywhere, as
well as a glass jar of tootsie roll pops and an oil burner, which was
currently on. I could hear the music from the lobby fade as I shut
the door behind me and sat down on the couch. It was a comfortable
couch, and it made me feel good to sit there. I actually felt
somewhat at home. I was feeling good, and all my troubles seemed
distant. I could barely imagine cutting myself as I had two hours
ago, a couple hours after school. It occurred to me that it was
6:00, and I hadn’t started reading my English assignment. Oh well.
Falling a little further behind, getting a few more D’s and F’s
wouldn’t matter much once I finally killed myself.
“How have you been?” Dr. Clellum
said as she sat down in her chair. She offered me a lollipop, and I
turned it down. Then she looked at me as though expecting an answer
different from the usual evasion I always gave, like, “Good, I
guess,” or, “Okay,” or “Oh, I’m hanging in there”- and I
wondered if she somehow knew that I was going to give a different
answer this time.
I felt her eagerness, her hope. And
fear, like always. She must be scared of me, I thought. She must
think I’m dangerous, that I’m crazy, that I’m an awful person.
She must know I deserve to die.
I pushed those thoughts out of my
head. I was here to get help. And regardless of whether or not she
did know how worthless I was, she wanted to give it, and I was going
to get it.
I shrugged, weak in my conviction to
come out with this. It was hard to accept, even hard to believe,
that I was going to cut myself again. These are the last scars that
will mar my arm, I was telling myself. Just, I know I’ve told
myself that many times before.
Still, I didn’t
want to think about it, and it’s hard to involve the mouth without
the mind.
“School going okay?” she said
finally.
“Not really.”
“What’s wrong?”
I realized I had laid down on her
couch, and sat up quickly.
“You can lie down if you want,”
she said.
“You sure?”
“Yeah. Go ahead.”
I thanked her, and lay back down. The
smell of lavender was strong in my nostrils, and very comforting. So
was the scent of the oil. It seemed to be a higher place where I was
safe from the tribulations of my life. For the moment, my cutting
seemed distant, and yet it was also the thing that was most on my
mind.
“So what’s been going on at
school?” she said, getting a lollipop out for herself.
“Johnny keeps picking on me,” I
said.
“I’m sorry. Putting up with a
bully is tough, and I know he’s really mean to you. Is there
anything I can do to help?”
“No,” I said.
“How does he make you feel?”
“Angry, and hurt. And… when….
It’s not really him though,” I said finally.
“You mean school?”
“No. It.”
“So why are you having a rough
time?” She said it instantly, as though she already knew
everything in my head, and was just trying to get me to say it.
I wondered if she knew how hard it was
for me to say this. She was gazing steadily at me, but I kept my
eyes floating around the room, from the little bookshelf to the glass
jar of tootsie roll pops to the window to her degrees on the wall-
everywhere but her. I could hear a clock ticking behind me. I
realized I was fidgeting with my hands, and forced myself to stop.
“I’ve been really depressed.”
“I thought you might be.”
“You did?”
“M-hmm. I want to thank you for
trusting me, Josh. Could you tell me why you think it is that you’re
depressed?”
“I don’t know.”
“You want to talk about it?”
I hesitated. I wasn’t sure, now
that it came down to it.
“This is Odin,” said something in
the back of my mind. “In the name of wisdom, tell her, child.
Save yourself before it’s too late, before the dark path takes
you.”
“Josh?”
I looked up at Dr. Clellum, who looked
almost masculine despite her small, thin frame, and her light-skinned
face, probably because of her short haircut, or maybe it was
something I couldn’t quite put my finger on.
A minute ago, I
hadn’t been aware of her at all. For a moment, I had been aware of
nothing in front of me, not what my body against the couch felt like,
not what Dr. Clellum looked like, not the smell of lavender or
whether or not she was speaking. Yet looking back, I knew she hadn’t
been. I could almost remember it- but not quite.
I needed to answer.
Heart racing, I took a deep breath.
“Yeah, let’s
talk about it, that would be good, I think.” I looked up at her
with what felt like an iron face.
I was nervous, but I went on: “I
get so antsy. I get to the point where I feel like if I don’t do
something I’ll go crazy. It’s like I’m going to explode.”
“What do you do?”
I shrugged again, avoiding her eye.
“Wait it out.” I wondered if she could tell I was lying.
“That must be hard,” she said.
“It is.”
“What do you do to help yourself get
through it?”
“Nothing, really. It just passes
eventually.”
“It makes you strong that you can
get through it at all,” she said, “very strong.”
“Thanks,” I said.
She waited as though for me to say
something, then said:
“Do you ever feel the need to punish
yourself?”
“Yes ma’am,” I said.
She made a note on a clipboard.
“I’d like you to consider taking
some medication,” she said.
Oh crap.
“I’m going to talk to your parents
about it- I think it would help you out.”
“No,” I said desperately, “you
can’t talk to my parents about it. What happened to
confidentiality?”
“I’m not breaking it. Most
psychiatrists wouldn’t tell you they wanted to put you on
medication, they’d tell your parents- but I want you to trust me
because you and I are friends, Josh, not just psychiatrist and
client. Do you trust me?”
I looked at her.
“Yes ma’am,”
I said.
I had never trusted
her less.
“Good. Now, if you want, there’s
a hospital you could go to for three days or so, to adjust to your
medicine.”
“Hospital?”
“Yes sir. There would be other
people like you there, for similar reasons.” Her voice was casual,
but with a measure of wariness behind it.
“It’s not crowded, is it? I went
to summer camp once in Greeneville, and we had to sleep like a dozen
in one cabin.”
“It’s not like that,” she said
softly. “Do you want to go?”
I thought a moment. Something didn’t
feel right. I didn’t remember ever being told about places in
hospitals for people going on medication. I still had misgivings.
“I want to think about it,” I
said.
“All right Joshua, that’s fine.
I’ll discuss it with your parents, and they can help you decide.”
“It will be my choice, right?”
She was looking me in the eye, her
face neutral and careful, masking something I did not fully
comprehend. “Probably, as long as you’re safe. Have you had
any thoughts of suicide?”
A red flag went up, big time. “Not
really- well, a few,” I said, “but I’d never go through with
them, and they’re rare.”
“Cutting?”
“Ma’am?”
“Have you had any thoughts of
cutting yourself?”
“I… I’ve thought about it, but
never gone through with it.” I felt guilty lying to her, but I was
beginning to lose the trust she’d built up.
“Can I ask why you’re wearing a
long-sleeved shirt?” she asked.
“Rash,” I said quickly.
“Isn’t it a little hot for that,
Josh?”
“It’s an ugly rash,” I said.
“Can I see?”
“No.”
“Why not?”
“I’d be embarrassed,” I said. I
realized I had sat up, and that I was rubbing my hands together,
grabbing my fingers and pulling them free over and over again.
“I won’t tell anyone,” she said.
“Just show me.”
“No!” I said.
“I’m sorry, Josh,” she said.
“I’m not trying to make you upset. I’m just trying to help
you.”
I didn’t answer. I wanted to quit
playing with my hands, but I couldn’t.
“You had a rash last week, too,
Josh,” she said.
I didn’t answer. I stared over her
shoulder at her degrees, hanging on the wall, all from Duke: the
undergraduate, graduate, Ph.D., all in counseling, and the M.D. I
thought of other places to be, other people to associate with.
“Don’t be intimidated by my
credentials,” she told me. “I am just like you, and I believe in
being friends with my clients. I want to help you.”
I was only half listening.
“So please, tell me why you’re
really wearing a long-sleeved shirt?”
I stayed silent, unsure of what to
say. I realized the silence was working, so I kept it up. It wasn’t
a plan; it was just that I didn’t know what to say. But not having
a plan was working at the moment.
“Well?”
I waited, wondering what she’d say
next. Would she ask any other incisive questions tonight? Or would
I get off easily? This was not what I’d had in mind.
Say something, Dr.
Clellum, I pleaded silently. I’m not going to.
But she wasn’t
saying anything either, I realized. Darn.
“I probably need to see a doctor,”
I said, realizing too late my own mistake.
“I’ll tell your mom to take you,”
she said.
“No, don’t,” I said.
“Why not?”
“Look, I think I might have an STD.
I don’t want Mom knowing.”
She started to blush, but she
continued.
“I thought you weren’t sexually
active?”
“I’m not.” I hesitated. “Not
anymore.”
She hesitated, her blush deepening,
but her voice stayed professional. Her voice and manner were trained
by a top university; but her cheeks and her heart were still human.
She seemed
comfortable talking to me about things like cutting, I thought so far
in the back of my mind it was almost subconscious; why did she get
uncomfortable at the superficial mentioning of sex?
“When did….”
“That’s personal,” I told her.
“Look, this is really hard for me- it’s embarrassing, can’t you
tell? Just leave it at that, okay Dr. Clellum? Can I go now?”
“That’s your choice,” she said,
“but I want you to stay, if you’re willing. I owe you an
apology, Josh. I shouldn’t pressure you or make you uncomfortable.
I care about you, Josh. Do you believe me?”
“Yes ma’am,” I said.
“Then please, stay,” she said.
“I’ll try not to press your buttons, especially because you don’t
press mine, and I appreciate that.”
“Okay,” I said.
“Thanks. Feel free to tell me if I
go too far again, okay?”
“Sure.”
“I do apologize, Josh. I want you
to feel comfortable around me. If you ever do cut yourself, I want
you to call me,” she said, taking out a card and handing it to me,
as a magician would produce a scarf. I leaned forward slightly to
take it and held it in my hands a minute. I could see the neat
cross-stitched paper cardboard and the cute little green lettering
with a picture of a mind in one corner.
“Thanks, sure thing,” I said,
shoving it into my pocket. As I got comfortable on the couch again,
I thought of a more honest response: No chance in Hell.
A cloud must have passed over the sun
because the space in front of me where the sunlight from the window
hit the floor grew dark.
“There are lots of cutters in the
world,” she said. “It’s nothing to be ashamed of if….”
“I’m not a cutter,” I said, and
I realized my voice had risen.
“I’m sorry. I don’t mean to
overstep my boundaries. I really don’t. Can I ask you just one
other question, if I promise it doesn’t have to do with cutting?”
I hesitated. “I
guess.”
“Have you ever
seen anything that wasn’t there?” she said softly.
I was shocked. What was she, a mind
reader? “No,” I said.
“It’s okay if you do,” she said.
“Lots of my clients do.”
I didn’t answer. She was bound to
confidentiality. Suppose I did tell her?
“We don’t have much time left,”
she said. “Is there anything else you’d like to say?”
I nodded. I remembered I had wanted
help. “I’ve been hallucinating, yes,” I said quietly.
“Now that wasn’t too hard, was
it?” she said softly.
“I also feel a presence, and sense
it calling my name sometimes,” I said. Now that I’d started, I
couldn’t stop. “It’s in the back of my head. Like a thought,
except it feels like it’s from outside of me.”
“What does it want you to do?”
“It wants me to listen more,” I
said. “It wants to help me.”
“How does it want to help you?”
“Well, like sometimes,” I said,
“sometimes it’ll encourage me when I’m down. It tells me to
pick my chin up, reminds me everything will be okay.” My heart
started racing. “It says it’s the voice of God.”
“Do you believe it?”
“I, I don’t know. I guess I want
to know. Am I going crazy, Dr. Clellum?”
“I wouldn’t say you’re going
crazy,” she said. She hesitated. “Do you ever talk to anyone
else?”
“Yeah,” I said
slowly. “Sometimes Greek gods. Sometimes random spirits. And
sometimes….”
She didn’t say
anything. I could tell she was trying to make this easy for me, easy
for me to tell her my deepest personal secrets while she sat there
pretending hers didn’t matter. I wondered what they were.
“Sometimes the
Devil,” I said.
“Really?” she
said.
There was a pause.
I really didn’t want to continue this conversation.
“Yeah,” I said.
A huge burden
lifted off my chest. Now I was not the only one who knew.
“What does he
want?”
I hesitated. “For
me to die,” I said. “Or to hurt myself.”
“You know better
than to listen, right Josh?” she said.
“Yeah,” I said.
I thought of the last time I’d cut myself, just a few hours ago.
Yeah, I knew all right. But I won’t tell you about that, I
thought. I don’t want to get stuck in a loony bin.
“Good,” she
said. “I know you’re smart enough not to do that, Josh. In
fact, I’d be surprised if you didn’t because you are a very smart
young man with a lot of potential.”
“Thanks!” I
said. It felt good to be complimented. For a moment, elated, I
threw in a joke: “Are you married?”
“No sir,” she
said, and I laughed, but she seemed uneasy. In the back of my mind,
I wondered why.
“Any male friends
for candidates?” I asked.
“No,” she said
with a wry smile.
“Well maybe I’m
your man!” I said.
She laughed,
looking deeply flattered. “Ah, if only our time wasn’t up,”
she said. “And if only you were 10 years older. And if only I had
the time for a boyfriend.”
“You will
someday,” I said. I didn’t believe it.
“Thanks, Josh,”
she said. “And I want to thank you for opening up today. It means
a lot to me, and I’m very proud of you. And for the comments…”
She grabbed the tootsie roll jar and took one out, handing it to me
as we both laughed. “Drop by again if you need to talk, but our
time’s up and I’ve got a patient waiting- unless you need more
time?”
I shook my head. I felt like I’d
been smacked. “No ma’am. I’ll be okay.”
“I have another client,” she said,
her eyes pleading from behind that professional mask, pleading that I
understand. “It’s important that I see him today. I am sorry,
though.”
“It’s all right,” I said.
As I walked outside, Dr. Clellum
called my mom in. Although Dr. Clellum seemed impatient getting her
in and out, she had her in there a full five minutes.
Chapter III
The Mother’s Tears
On the drive home I was on the verge
of tears. Mom looked worried. But then, she always did these days.
I wondered when this beast I was fighting would give up and die. I
had the sensation that I was a warrior, fighting in a classical war
against the forces of the dark- and the price of failure, the prize
of victory, was my soul.
I was keenly aware, above all now,
that I was on the verge of losing my sanity. But then, Dr. Clellum
hadn’t seemed to think that I was losing it. She’d said I wasn’t
crazy. But I wasn’t sure I trusted her anymore.
On the way home, Mom said in a
tell-tale voice, “Are you doing all right, Josh?”
My body stiffened in my seat. “I
think I’ll be okay.”
“Dr. Clellum’s worried about you.”
I looked at her. Her face was as full
of lines as an old woman’s, lines that I swore hadn’t been there
before. I wanted desperately to reach out, hug her, tell her it
would be okay, that I was fine, not to worry about me- but I wasn’t
sure any of that was true.
“So am I,” she said finally.
“I’m all right, Mom,” I
muttered.
“Are you?”
I didn’t answer.
“Is there
anything you want to tell me, Josh?”
I stared out the front window at the
houses passing by. We were on an empty street, except for two kids
playing catch with a football up ahead. As we passed them by, I
wondered when the last time I had played like that had been.
“Look at that,” Mom muttered, then
said more loudly, “Josh, when you grow up, never let your kids play
outside in the dark on their own. They could be hit easily. I
wouldn’t mind a word with those parents.”
I laughed.
“What is it?” she said.
“Always the good mother,” I said.
“Am I?”
“Of course.”
“Then is there anything you’d like
to tell your ‘good mother’?” she asked.
I didn’t answer, but just stared out
at the houses passing by, wishing I was in another time and place, in
someone else’s shoes.
“Josh?”
“I’m fine, Mom,” I said.
“Listen, don’t worry about me.”
She looked at me, and her face was so
full of sorrow I couldn’t return her gaze. Instead, I turned my
head further toward the direction I was looking in so that I wouldn’t
have to see.
“Then look me in
the eye,” she said, voice trembling, “and tell me you’re okay.
Tell me nothing’s wrong. Tell me you’re not depressed, that
nothing’s bothering you, that you’re doing okay, God damn it, I
want to help you.”
I sighed, mind going numb.
“Tell me, Josh,”
she said.
Something shifted
inside me. I turned to face her and looked her in the eye.
“I’m not sure
you can, Mom,” I said. “Listen, I don’t want you to worry
about me.”
There was a pause.
“I’m tired of causing everyone
problems,” I said. “I wish no one had to worry about me
anymore.”
“You’re my son, Josh.”
She sounded as bad
as I felt, but I didn’t answer. Another pause ensued.
“Tell me what’s
wrong, Joshua!” she said.
“Nothing’s
wrong,” I said. “It’s not import….”
“Not important!
My son wears long sleeved shirts in spring and tells me it’s not
important!”
That shut me up.
“I’m not
important,” I muttered.
“What’s that,
Josh?”
“Nothing,” I
said.
“Don’t you
mutter under your breath at me,” she said. “I’m your mother.
I’d like to think I raised my only son to have better manners than
that.”
I embarrassed her,
I thought.
“Or at least that
I’d raised my only son to be happy!” she continued.
We paused.
“I want you to be honest with me,”
she said. “Dr. Clellum thinks you’re not honest with her.”
“She said that?” I said, but Mom
continued.
“I can understand that, but I’m
your mom for Christ’s sake. Why can’t you be honest with me?”
This didn’t even feel real. My mind
was zoned out. That happened to me sometimes. When I was in the
middle of a stressful moment, something that would have ordinarily
scared me, I would go blank and be only half-aware of what was around
me. It was times like those that I didn’t want to believe were
really happening; times like those when the most dramatic emotions
I’d have were small.
Sometimes in
retreating from the world around me, as I was describing, I would
laugh. I think that scared Mom sometimes; I would laugh while Dad
was yelling at me and chewing me out, and as strange as it seems, it
was a pretty good defense mechanism. When I took everything to be a
joke, nothing mattered, nothing scared me, and I had one of my rare
moments at which I was actually fine.
This was not one of those moments- not
yet.
Mom sighed, slapping the wheel. “I
know this is hard,” she said, “but why don’t we work through it
together?”
“I don’t want your help.”
She swore. “Why not?”
“I don’t know.”
“Oh, the things you don’t know.”
Her voice cracked.
I wondered what she meant. I was
scared to ask, though, so I didn’t answer.
We were on our own street now. A
minute more, and I’d be free.
“I can’t believe you won’t let
me help you, Josh,” Mom said.
“I’m sorry, Mom,” I said.
“Then tell me what’s wrong!”
“I don’t know,” I said. “It’s
just, everything gets to me- little things. I can’t stop being
pessimistic. And then that makes me do badly, so it becomes pretty
easy to be more upset.” I laughed. “Kind of stupid, isn’t it?”
“If you know that why do you still
do it?”
I laughed, retreating further into
myself as my laughter took on more heart. “It’s all right, Mom.”
“It’s not….” Her voice
trailed off, the failing call of a sailor to his friend to just grab
onto the rope. It’s not that simple, Mom, I thought. Why couldn’t
she understand that?
There wasn’t much of a trip left,
but we made what remained in silence. Mom’s face looked strained,
and near the house, I saw her wipe at her eye. She made a noise, a
noise I wished she didn’t have to make.
I wished I’d never been born. She
shouldn’t have to go through this, I thought. Without me, Mom and
Dad would be a happy married couple, not a broken home. I was the
snake in the garden, the rat in the granary. I wanted somebody to
kill the rat. That way I wouldn’t have to.
Why couldn’t I go down in a blaze of
glory, saving someone’s life? Then Mom could cry proud tears; not
frustrated, hopeless tears.
I wished someone would understand- but
no one did. I didn’t, for that matter.
As we pulled into the driveway, she
locked the door. “Your dad’s mad, I should warn you,” she
said. “He saw your Calculus test.”
Chapter IV
The Fight
I nodded, unlocked my door, and walked
across our lawn. Bushes and plant beds lined the winding path to the
house; everything was so neat and tidy. Dad must have just had
someone care for the lawn again.
I wondered about
that. Supposedly upper middle class homes were supposed to be the
solid ones; looking at our yard, had I been an outsider, I would have
thought highly of the family. The bushes would speak to me,
suggesting a happy family with calm parents and children, maybe small
children.
The siblings would
get along well. I wished I had siblings. If I had a brother or
sister, I told myself, this would be so much easier to deal with. I
could confide in a brother; who wanted to confide to his parents? I
sure didn’t.
I liked the little
stone pathway by appearance, but by heart, I resented it. It
reminded me that I was home, and home was a place I associated with
yelling matches, cutting and madness.
Funny. I could use that word,
madness, when I didn’t really mean that I was crazy. I wasn’t,
was I?
I’d heard that the ability to
question one’s sanity made one sane. But Dr. Clellum had never
said that.
Mom passed me by as I dawdled, opened
the door as I came up the recently refinished yellow concrete steps
and porch. I touched the rail, found its smoothness and the gleam of
it revolting.
I didn’t like money. When I damaged
something expensive, I got yelled at. If we didn’t have nice
things, it wouldn’t matter, because there wouldn’t be anything
nice to mess up. And I was sick of being yelled at.
Besides. If I didn’t come from
money, Dad probably would be more understanding about the bad grades,
I thought.
The air was humid
and warm, with the charge that comes before a storm. Another South
Carolinian spring.
Everything was damp
from a recent rain. My hand was wet from the rail, while the
blackness of it shimmered. The air was damp again; misty, so that
one could see the water in the air, but not become overly wet simply
by crossing a yard. I wondered if it had been raining before I went
to the shrink. I couldn’t remember.
It maddened me when
I couldn’t remember something. I tried to remember this,
struggling, but it just wouldn’t come. I couldn’t even remember
the trip to the shrink’s office anymore.
As I walked up the
steps and nearly slipped, I felt the beginnings of tension trying at
my body. No, I thought.
But I had to
remember. I hated the fact that I couldn’t think anymore, and
right now I couldn’t. I wished I could think well all the time.
As it was, most of the time I couldn’t think clearly at all.
Sometimes, I would think of something, and then be unable to follow
it up with a resultant thought.
Mom had unlocked
and opened the door. I hadn’t even been aware of her doing it.
How had I gotten up the steps? It scared me. I couldn’t remember
what had happened in the last few moments. I remembered what I had
been thinking, but what had occurred in the world around me escaped
me.
Dad was standing
there. I realized what had woken me up from my stupor. He had said
something. Now that I thought of it, I knew what he had said, even
though I hadn’t realized I’d been listening.
“I found your
Calculus test,” he said.
He was going to say
something about coming to the kitchen. He was cooking something for
himself. And he was mad. How did I know all this? I didn’t
understand. Things were so confusing.
“Come inside,
Josh,” he said.
This was going to
be ugly, I thought as I walked in.
“It will be
ugly,” said a voice in the back of my head. “But it’s okay.
He loves you.”
I hoped no one
could tell what I was thinking.
Dad was talking. I
wasn’t really listening. He was calm. I should listen before he
got mad, I thought.
“Stay calm,”
said the voice.
But I knew I
wouldn’t. Something felt so wrong. Something bad was going to
happen tonight, something that hadn’t happened before. What?
We were in the
kitchen before I realized I’d been right so far. Dad was cooking a
hamburger. The smell made me hungry. He was temporarily appeased as
he flipped the hamburger.
“Josh?” he said.
“Huh?”
“Are you listening?”
“Yeah,” I lied.
“What did I say?”
And it came to me, as though I’d
been listening after all. I remembered what he’d said, remembered
his voice, even though I’d thought I hadn’t been listening.
“You said I need to do better in
school,” I said.
“What else?”
I realized I only remembered the last
bit. I couldn’t remember past that.
“I forgot,” I said.
“So you weren’t listening,” he
said, his voice rising slightly. “Can’t you be honest with me?”
Honesty is overrated, I thought.
“No,” I said. Something felt
wrong. Why had I said that? Wouldn’t it get me in trouble? But I
couldn’t think of why. My mind was so numb.
“What?” he said. The hamburger
fell down with a smack onto the skillet as he turned around, spatula
in hand. He looked funny. I laughed.
My laugh sounded maniacal; I felt
sane. It was oddly distant: someone else laughing, not me. I
realized Mom was behind me.
“There’s nothing funny!” roared
Dad. “Stop!” He sounded scared.
Let him be, I thought. I laughed
louder.
Dad grabbed my arm suddenly. I
laughed more.
“What, are you going to hit me?” I
asked.
“Josh!” said Mom behind me. Her
voice rang with fear.
“It’s all right,” I said. “It’s
just my body.”
Dad started raising the sleeve up. I
shoved him off me instinctively, without thinking. He stumbled
backward against the stove, and for a moment I heard something singe.
The humor left me. I felt my eyes
widen, my mouth open in horror. He didn’t scream. He didn’t
even grunt.
He rebounded and caught me by the arm.
He twisted it, hard, and brought me down so that my face was near
the floor, my knees hyper-extended.
“I’ll teach you to shove your
father!” he roared.
I was getting mad.
“Eric, let him go!” said Mom. Her
voice was scared. How dare he do this to us? Mom didn’t deserve
to be scared.
“Let me go you….”
I began cussing him out.
“Eric, let him go!” Mom said again
over my screaming.
I struggled to get free. I writhed as
much as I could, then fell to the ground and wrenched my arm free,
standing again. Dad and I stared at each other a minute.
His face was full of anger, also fear.
Did he think I’d hit him like he hit me?
I was better than that. I wasn’t
violent. I never started fights. I didn’t lose my temper as
easily as the walking hothead in front of me.
I turned to go to my room.
Dad grabbed my arm again and pulled me
in front of him. He held me there, not letting go as he spoke.
“I am your father,” he said, “and
it is high time you listened to me.”
Now I was getting mad again.
“I’d listen to you if you didn’t
always scream at me,” I said.
“I wouldn’t scream at you if you’d
shape up!” he roared. Spittle dampened my lips, chin and nose. I
could see white specks flying past my head. But I kept my mouth
shut.
“I just need to teach Johnny a
lesson,” I said. What I was really thinking was, I need to teach
Dad a lesson.
“No honey,” said Mom behind me.
“Violence is never the answer.”
I was actually more aware of what she
said than what Dad screamed right then, which went something along
the lines of, “If you get in a fight I’m gonna teach you a
lesson!”
I was silent. Dad’s usual threats.
One of these days, I was going to make one of my own. Only me, I
wouldn’t be angry. The threat wouldn’t be blundering. I would
be calm. And what scared me was, I wasn’t sure I wouldn’t mean
it.
“Leave,” said Dad to Mom.
“Eric….”
“I said, leave! Go! I need to talk
to our son.”
“Calm down, Er….”
“I said, get out of here!”
Mom walked out of the room.
“Did you even study for that test?”
“I’d think better if my arms
weren’t being squeezed,” I said, and he let me go.
“Thinking better now?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“Well?”
I laughed, sliding back into my
innermost self. He grabbed me at once, slung me across the kitchen.
This had happened before, but never
this badly. I was worried he was really going to hit me. But I
didn’t care.
I cussed him out.
In the middle of my swearing, he
shoved me against the cabinets and roared, “Shut up!”
It was like this at home. In the
courtroom, among friends, even when Mom and I were there, he was a
polite, soft-spoken lawyer. As for Mom, she was friendly and happy.
Me, I was always a mess.
“I said, did you study for that
test?”
I realized I’d blacked out again.
“Yes,” I said. And I had.
“Then what the Hell are you doing
with a D in the class?”
I didn’t answer. I couldn’t find
the words.
“You want to go to college?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“How do you plan to go to college
with grades like these?”
I couldn’t think. I couldn’t
process the information. I barely took in his question. It wasn’t
fair. If I could think, I could explain it to him because I had
worked all this out before. But right now, I couldn’t think, so
all I could do was sit there.
He shoved me harder against the wall.
“Answer me!” he bellowed.
I looked him in the eye. I couldn’t
think- not coherently. I could never take my father in a fight,
though, if I could, I might try at this point.
So all I did in the end was keep
looking him in the eye, and tell him quietly, “Fuck you.”
He leaned back, letting me up, and his
hand came from his side in an arc, slamming through my cheek. My dad
was muscular, well-toned, and he could slap hard, as I learned that
day. I wondered if it was blood I was tasting. I wasn’t sure.
Did blood taste sour? I didn’t care.
“Go to your room,” he said.
I did.
As I got to my door, I heard him call
from the kitchen, “If you get another bad grade, or if you get in
trouble again, I’m going to give you a beating.”
I shut the door behind me.
It wasn’t the pain. It really
wasn’t. But for some reason I couldn’t put my finger on, I was
crying.
Chapter V
The Bus Ride
I woke up that morning to Mom banging
on my door.
“Get up Josh!” she was
half-yelling. “You’ll miss the bus! You should have been up
thirty minutes ago!”
It was as though last night hadn’t
happened for her. She didn’t care, I thought. For all that she
said she wanted to help me, she didn’t care that Dad yelled at me,
or that he had hit me last night. She did nothing to stop it.
I muttered obscenities in reference to
Mom under my breath.
I got up slowly, then sped up, pulling
on my clothes quickly. It wasn’t that I was looking forward to the
day. It was more that I was dreading the car ride to school with Dad
if he had to take me.
I wondered if, in the event that I did
miss the bus, I could walk off, pretending I had made it, and then
call a taxi from a payphone. I had a good bit of money on me- Mom
had offered me some a few nights ago, which seemed always to coincide
with something gone wrong. I heard from peers that some parents gave
their kids money just to give them money; for me, it was more like an
apology, most of the time. I supposed I’d be up for some more
soon.
I packed my books and ran to the door.
I could hear the bus outside.
“Wait!” called Mom. She came up
beside me with a bagel in a napkin in her hand, and handed them to
me.
“Here’s breakfast,” she said.
She dipped her hand in her purse quickly, rummaged around a minute,
and handed me a 10-dollar bill.
“Get a good meal today,” she said.
“I don’t want you to go hungry.”
She kissed me on the cheek. “I love
you Josh,” she said, opening the door. “Hurry, dear.”
I ran out into the yard, down the
walkway. I would say the day greeted me, but it seemed to me more
that the day was sneering at me because I knew what waited for me on
the bus.
The bus had started
to pull away, but it stopped again and let me catch up. I clambered
on and noted that Johnny was sitting at the back. I sat down in the
seat nearest the front.
I hoped that, for just one day, he’d
let me have peace. I did not need to be bullied today, not today,
just not today, I pleaded, please, God.
At first, he said nothing, and there
was just the murmuring chatter of the other students on the bus. I
wanted to hope that he’d say nothing, but in my heart, I knew he’d
start something. I knew- I didn’t want to know, I didn’t know
how I could possibly know for sure- but I knew, nonetheless.
I heard his footsteps just as he came
to sit in the seat opposite me. He slid in and grinned at me.
“How you doing, Joshua?” he asked.
A couple people behind him laughed. Johnny could have been an
actor; with nothing more than his voice and the simplest of words, he
made a common question derogatory and hilarious.
I ignored him.
“Ah, Joshua doesn’t want to speak
to me,” he said. “How sad. Now I don’t have any friends
anymore, do I, Joshua?”
I knew the implication, but I kept my
mouth shut. He was relying on someone else to finish the taunt. I
hoped no one would.
“No, you must be taking after Josh,”
called a friend of his from behind.
Why they followed him I’ll never
know. But the whole bus seemed to dread falling under his eye, and
most of them just seemed to accept their role as his audience. No
one stood up for me, most days. Daniel wasn’t there anymore. He’d
been moved to a new bus because he’d been getting picked on for
standing up for me. Everyone else seemed to be afraid of going his
route.
As for me, I
preferred facing Johnny to trying to get my dad to call the school to
have my bus driver switched- or letting Mom start to figure out just
how miserable and pathetic I really was.
No one likes me, I thought. I suck.
“Joshua won’t talk to me,” said
Johnny, calling up to the bus driver.
“That’s right,” she said. “He
do right.”
“You is right, mama,” said Johnny.
“That’s enough,” said the bus
driver.
“Yes ma’am.”
There were a few moments of peace.
There was someone behind me I could have talked to, a girl who seemed
sympathetic with me- but I was too shy to try to start a
conversation, and I had no idea how.
I mulled it over in my mind. If I
could start talking to her, maybe Johnny would leave me alone. She
might not mind me as much as my bullies. People had been nice to me
before I’d started getting bullied, before everything had started
sliding away from my grasp.
“How are you?” I asked her.
She looked up at me a bit put-off, but
not meanly. She thought I was weird.
“Okay,” she said.
Her voice showed her disjunction from
the conversation. I was different- even she knew it. And yet
something told me she was going to be nice to me. Why? I wondered.
How did I know this? I must be wrong. She thought I was an idiot, I
could tell, I could feel it emanating from her mind.
“Josh, would you like to learn a
lesson in talking to girls?” asked Johnny, looking at me with a
perfectly serious expression.
One of his friends behind him laughed.
“Yeah,” said the girl. “Why
don’t you show us your manners—” she said, calling him by an
expletive.
“How are you doing today?” he
asked, extending his hand.
Wow, I thought. He was just as
awkward and insecure about it as I was.
“Be doing better if you’d leave me
alone,” she said.
“Ohhhhh!” came the collective
reaction of the whole bus.
“I see you don’t want to talk to
me, all right, my feelings are hurt, poor me,” said Johnny, getting
up to go to the back of the bus.
“Just ignore that idiot,” said the
girl, and I knew Johnny could hear, but he ignored her.
Conversation was starting up again.
I took a good look at her. She was
very thin, with long brown hair, somewhat short. She had brown eyes-
not my favorite eye color, but hers were pretty.
“Thanks,” I said.
I tried to think of something to say,
but nothing came to mind. I started daydreaming about confronting
Johnny again, with her standing up for me, and together we made a
fool out of him.
Then I realized she was staring out
her window, the conversation forgotten.
I felt self-loathing then, even if I
couldn’t put my finger on the exact reason.
I turned around, thinking of cutting
myself that night. I wanted to do it then; I wondered if it would be
taking too much of a risk to go to the bathroom and cut myself when I
got to school. I needed to start bringing a knife to school; that
way I could do it when I was at school. I didn’t care if I got
caught. I hated school anyway. And why should college be any
better?
I started rummaging in my backpack.
“So what grade are you in?” she
asked me from behind.
I turned around quickly, and she gave
a half-smile of humor, her eyes alight.
“I’m a senior,” I said.
“Really?” she said, surprised.
“Yeah,” I said.
“Is it true, then?” she said. “Is
your senior year your best year of high school?”
“No,” I said. “It’s not.”
She laughed, leaning forward and
slapping her small thigh. I liked her.
“I’m a freshman,” she said.
“Ooh,” I said, playing off her
interest in my being a senior. “You’re one of them.”
“Yeah,” she said. “I’m one of
them. I hope that won’t stop you from talking to me?”
“No,” I said. “It won’t.”
“Are you sure?”
“Well, if you want it to,” I said,
and she laughed, but what she didn’t realize was, I was being
serious.
“No, no,” she said. “Senior are
cool- especially to us little freshmen.”
There was a pause.
“You seem pretty cool,” she said.
“Thanks,” I said. “But I’m
not.”
“Yeah you are,” she said. “That
beeotch back there makes fun of you every day, and you never lose
your temper.”
I smiled. My heart had fluttered.
Wait. I had a girlfriend. This was going in a direction I couldn’t
let it.
“Thank you,” I said, smiling.
I should end the conversation, I
thought. I can’t let this go any further. Then again, maybe I was
just being egotistical to think she might like me. No, I told
myself. I was imagining it. Johnny was right about me. If she
thought I was interested in her, she’d avoid me.
I was interested in someone after one
bus ride while I had a girlfriend. Cutting came to mind again. I
ached to punish myself for my immoral actions.
We stopped to pick up the last stop’s
students, four whose names I did not know, except for a sophomore
named Brittany whom I had once been sweet on. It was always one of
those awkward moments when she got on; I was worried our eyes would
meet. But she said nothing.
“How long have you been riding the
bus?” I asked the girl behind me.
She eyed me comically. “Guess.”
I thought a minute. “I’m sorry,”
I said. “I don’t even remember seeing you before today.”
Her mouth dropped, and she said, “You
mean… you mean you never noticed me before today?”
“No,” I said, starting to
formulate an apology in my mind.
“Not after all the secretive glances
I stole at you?”
“I’m so sorry,” I said. Did she
mean what she had said? Had she really stolen glances at me? Wait…
was she joking around? I couldn’t process it all because I
couldn’t think well at the moment.
“I’m hurt,” she said,
dramatically putting her hand to her chest so that I was keenly aware
of where it rested, her mouth open slightly in a frown, her eyes sad
and puppy-dog like.
“I’m sorry,” I said. “I’m
oblivious, I’m an idiot, I’ll have to make it up to you….”
She laughed suddenly, leaning back in
her seat. “No, no,” she said. “I’m just shitting you. I
transferred from another school. We just finished moving in here a
few days ago.”
“Oh!” I said, bursting out into
relieved laughter.
“Loosen up!” she said, flicking me
on the shoulder with her finger.
I felt happy for the first time since
last night. Everything was right again. It was hard to imagine I’d
been so upset.
“How’d you know he picked on me so
often?” I asked.
“I don’t know,” she said. “What
I gathered, you know?”
We paused.
“What’s your name?” she asked
me.
“Josh,” I said.
“I’m Danielle,” she said,
extending her hand for me to shake it. I did, clasping her little
hand in my big one, and then she sat back.
“You a good student?” she asked
me.
“Not really,” I said. “Was. A
long time ago.”
“I suppose this is where you start
with ‘When I was your age….’”
We both laughed at that.
“No, seriously, I wasn’t doing too
hot at my last school,” she said, “so this whole thing about
having to change schools before I finish the year sat pretty well
with me, you know? Anyway, I’m going to need help with my
schoolwork, so….?”
She gave me a meaningful look. I knew
in the back of my mind what she was saying, but I couldn’t think
properly enough to articulate.
“Maybe you could come over sometime
to help me with my work?” she said, looking hopeful.
“Sure,” I said. I loved the idea
of helping someone. I wanted to do that in life, more than anything
else- when I died, I wanted to feel like my life mattered, which was
the exact opposite of how I’d felt these last couple months.
“Great!” she said. “By the
way,” she asked, “how good of a kisser are you?”
I knew she had some explanation for
why she’d ask such a question, but I also knew she was hitting on
me, and that that was what she wanted.
“You’re not bad in school,” I
said, as it hit me.
“What?”
“You’re an A student,” I said.
“You have been your whole life.”
She looked at me strangely. “How
did you know that?”
“I don’t know,” I said.
“What are you, psychic?” she
asked, laughing.
“What’s that?” I asked.
“Can you see the future?”
My heart started racing. Yes, I
could, I thought.
“No,” I said. “Why?”
“Never mind.”
I wanted her to explain, but I
couldn’t explain to her why I wanted her to, so I shut my mouth.
“But you’re right,” she said.
“I just wanted to have an excuse to get you over. You seem like a
really nice guy. You probably think I’m a ho.”
“No,” I said. “It’s not like
that at all. You’re a really nice girl…”
“No I’m not. I’m a ho.”
“Don’t say that!” I said.
“You’re charming, beautiful….” She blushed, glancing up at me
from beneath the tops of her eyes, and I changed course quickly.
“It’s just, I have a girlfriend.”
“Oh! I’m so sorry,” she said.
“I had no idea. I am so embarrassed.” She paused. “You
really think I’m beautiful?” she said.
“Yeah,” I said.
“Thanks Josh,” she said, extending
her hand for me to shake again.
“You’re welcome,” I told her,
shaking it.
Crap. I had forgotten her name. Did
I ask now, and slight her, or risk never remembering and having the
same moment later? Better to ask now, I thought.
“What’s your name again?” I
asked.
“Danielle,” she said.
She got up, slinging her backpack onto
her shoulder.
I realized suddenly that the bus had
stopped and everyone was beginning to get off.
I got up, and exited into the throng
of students. Danielle went ahead of me without waiting.
As I clambered off the bus, I was
thankful I hadn’t had to admit I didn’t know what exactly a ho
was.
Chapter VI
“I think he’s just spacing out
again,” he said. “Space cadet. What a space cadet.”
He made an expression a motion with
his hand sliding over his head to imply that I was stupid.
“I’m not stupid,” I said.
“Coulda fooled me.”
“You’re the one who’s stupid,”
I said.
We stopped to pick up the last stop’s
students, of which there were four. They clambered on board, the
door squeaked shut as the driver pulled the lever, and, engine
purring, we started for school.
“Josh thinks I’m stupid,” said
Johnny to one of the males, a senior like me, who had just gotten on.
The guy who had just gotten on ignored
Johnny.
A girl who had just gotten on, a
sophomore whom I’d once been sweet on, said to him, “You are
stupid, Johnny.”
“I’m stupid?” said Johnny in
mock offense. “My heart is broken. Don’t lump me with him!”
We rode on bickering at each other.
Neither of us really ever gained ground. Mostly he just made a
couple people laugh at me here and there.
Once we got off, he started asking me
about bands, baseball players, that sort of thing. My knowledge of
pop culture was not so good.
“Name a song by Nelly,” he said.
“I don’t know any,” I said.
“Good Lord, you can’t name one
song by Nelly?”
I was getting irritated now. I knew
how this went. He would get everyone else to laugh at me, and make
me out to look like an idiot because I didn’t care about who was
popular in society anymore than I cared about who was popular in
school.
I shut him out mentally and started
off to the front of the building. He walked after me.
I turned around and said, “Don’t
follow me.”
There was an edge to my voice, and
Johnny knew better than to follow me to a place where we’d be alone
when I was talking in that tone.
He walked back to his circle of
friends and started making cracks about me, loudly enough that I
could hear some of them as I walked off.
“This is Josh,” he said, and I
glanced over my shoulder to watch him walking awkwardly, back bent.
The group he was with burst out laughing.
I straightened my backpack and kept
walking.
By the time I reached the front of the
building, I had cooled off some. I was intrigued to see a man
wrapped in many layers of clothing sitting on the bench. He had a
stony gaze, and he sat very still. His hair was long and unkempt,
and so was his beard. As I sat down beside him, I noticed that he
smelled.
“How are you?” I asked him.
There was a pause before he answered.
“Same always,” he said. He didn’t say anything more.
I looked off into space with him for a
minute. It would be another ten minutes before the bell to go to
class rang, and I had no real friends to sit with, so I sat with him.
Jessica wouldn’t be here till just before class, and she’d go
straight to class, and our relationship was on the rocks anyway.
I glanced over at the homeless man.
“Where’s home?” I asked. Stupid
question. I hoped I hadn’t offended him. I was so dumb. I was
stupider than Johnny made me out to be, even. Who was so crass?
But he didn’t seem to be offended.
He just said calmly, “Don’t got one,” and turned his head
ever-so-slowly to face me.
“You a student here?” he asked me.
“Yeah,” I said. “I mean, yes
sir.”
He grunted. “You get good grades?”
“No,” I said, “no sir.”
“Sorry to hear that,” he said.
His face turned back so that his gaze
fell straight ahead of him, but wherever he looked, he seemed to be
peering into something beyond what was immediately in front of him.
“Do me a favor,” he said, “don’t
tell no one I’m here. If you don’t mind.”
“I won’t, sir, I promise,” I
said.
He nodded slowly. “Aye,” he said.
“I thank you, sir.”
I didn’t understand. He was older
than I. Why did he call me sir? If I could think at the moment, I
thought, I would surely be able to figure this out. I tried to, but
it was like trying to move past a wall with no door. I hated myself
for how stupid I was.
“Sunrise pretty this morning,” he
said.
I realized I was staring at him. He
just seemed so much better, so much more sane, so much nicer than the
people I knew.
“I didn’t see it,” I said.
“That’s too bad,” he said.
“Real shame. Beautiful sunrise, beautiful.”
He turned to face me. “Well, I’d
best be off before your darn security resource officer comes looking
for me. Nice to meet you, sir. What’s your name?”
“Josh,” I said.
“I’m Bradley,” he said, rising.
He shook my hand, and started off.
“Mind if I come with you?” I
asked, rising and following him.
“Sure, sure,” he said, “if you
don’t got nothing better to do.”
It felt so good to have a friend, and
I realized he liked me, too. It eased my pain. Someone liked me.
Goal: avoid trouble
Antagonist: Johnny, Jessica
Conflict:
- goes to school
- Johnny picks on him on bus ride, going to waiting area; Josh meets and talks to Danielle in between
- Josh tries to win verbally, starts off well, but then mind declines, and can’t because he can’t think
- Jessica talks to him briefly; she tries to console him at first, then gets mad and walks off, says she’s tired of fighting with him
- Off bus, Josh goes and waits outside
- Sees a homeless man, they walk and talk, Josh gives him money
- Homeless man goes away; Josh realizes he’s off campus, comes back; classes have already started
- Is written up
- Goes to second block- Mrs. Willows, English; she praises him, but he thinks he doesn’t deserve it; eventually says the things she’s saying aren’t true; Mrs. Willows apologizes, he hates himself for hurting her feelings
- Steals a tack off a bulletin board in the hallway after class, sneaks off to bathroom during third block to cut himself using the tack
- Panics afterward; worried he might get written up again; considers killing himself; decides to go to class
- Walks into gym class, says he had to talk to Mrs. Willows; Mr. Brunson says it’s okay, he just has to do laps for it while everyone else is playing volleyball; he hates himself more for this, feels bad, wishes he could play volleyball, wonders if he cares, hates the fact that he was laughed at
- Talks to Jessica at lunch, which follows third block; they fight; she goes and sits somewhere else
Note: five blocks, last three are
lunch periods for the students in the school
- He eats rest of lunch alone, hears laughter, worries it’s about him, gets worked up about it; goes and eats outside
- Daydreams, is woken from his stupor when the bell rings; goes to class
- Goes to History, spaces out all class period, though he struggles to pay attention; sees a police officer with handcuffs, gets scared, but when he looks, the officer is gone (hallucination); is scared
- Goes home; Mom tries to talk to him, but he refuses, feeling like crying; says Dad will give him enough harm when he gets home; goes into room and plays Diablo for three hours straight, till father gets home
- Has calmed down by then, is feeling good, but Father comes in yelling
- They fight
- Dad does not hit him, but Josh is perpetually scared he will
- Dad says that if he ever does something like this again, he will beat him, he doesn’t care how old he is
- Josh eventually can’t take anymore, leaves room, leaves house; Dad is following, but Mother stops him
- Josh gets in his dad’s car, which is supposed to become his when he graduates, and drives to Jessica’s house
- He finds her there, she won’t let him in; male comes up to door; she tries to explain away his being there, but in so doing makes it obvious that she is interested in him and wants to date him
- Josh breaks up with her
- Gets in car; drives around town, thinking
- Goes home; Dad is in bed, Mother waiting up; she tries to talk to him, but he goes inside room and plays Diablo, doesn’t even bother to do his homework
- Something has snapped; he no longer cares about school, and plans on flunking because he doesn’t think it matters anymore
- Next morning, Mother wakes him up; Josh yells at her, she leaves, hurt; Father comes in, threatens to beat him if he doesn’t wake up; Josh gets up, laughing at his dad, pulls on clothes, refuses to eat, though Dad yells at him, telling him to eat; Josh gets on bus; Johnny makes fun of Josh; Josh laughs at him, still in maniacal laughter mode; Danielle is joining with him at first, but then starts to be weirded out
- They get to school; Johnny says Josh is crazy; this strikes Josh’s nerve; he beats Johnny up badly before teachers manage to break them up; Josh resists them, shoves teachers off of him; SRO comes and arrests him
- Josh is taken to principal’s office; principal says he’s going to be kicked out of school; Mom is required to come and pick him up
- They fight on the way home, and Josh yells at her; Mom blames herself, is crying as they get home, she tells him to go to his room
- Josh doesn’t care that his mother is crying anymore, or that he’s been kicked out of school; plans on killing himself anyway
- Mother comes in an hour later with phone; Josh yells at her to get out, but she hands him the phone and just asks him to listen
- It’s Dr. Clellum; Dr. Clellum talks to him about going to alternative school; he jokes around about it, laughing, says it sounds great; Dr. Clellum asks him if he still has her number, he laughs it off, saying “Of course not”; she gives it to him again, asks him to call when he can talk about it more seriously; he only pretends to write it down, hangs up on her when she asks, “Do you have anything you’d like to ask or say to me before we hang up?”
- Father gets home; father says he’s going to beat him; Josh says, “Try,” they fight, and it is bad; in the end, Josh loses, gets beaten, becomes scared, Mom makes him stop, begging him, crying
- Josh decides to commit suicide next day
- Reads Anne McAffrey’s Dragonriders of Pern all night, gets up and waits behind bushes for bus before Mom wakes up
- Hears yelling in house; Dad comes out with Mom, she sends him looking for him
- Mother cries
- Josh doesn’t care anymore; when he’s dead, she won’t have to worry about him anymore
- Feels guilty
- Goes to school in morning; there are comments on bus about he was kicked out of school, but he denies it
- Gets off bus, walks to homeless man; they talk; Josh is enjoying his final conversation with what he sees as his only friend. Josh admits he is suicidal, talks openly about what he is going to do when it comes up; homeless man tries to sway him else-wise, but Josh tells him to shut up; then apologizes for speaking to him like that
- Hates himself again, gets up, starts toward bathroom, turns to face homeless man, tells him thanks for talking to him, and, “You’re one of the best people I’ve ever known, and a far better man than I. See you in heaven.”
- Breaks mirror; takes shard, slits wrist
- SRO comes in there; Josh holds shard toward him, screaming, “Don’t come near me!”
- Loses consciousness
Sequel
Wakes up in hospital, in and out of
consciousness; brief scenes of talking to parents; he regrets what he
did, realizes life is worth living, can’t believe he almost died,
is ashamed; decides to do whatever he needs to do to get better
Next scene: institutionalization; he
resists it because he doesn’t want to go to a mental hospital
Inserted Scene 2
Comes fully to with homeless person in
there
They talk
He leaves; parents come in, tell him
he’s supposed to go to a mental institution today
He resists; goes to mental institution
Is taken inside; forced to stay
End of first novel
Homeless person
Traits
Calm
Wise
Disillusioned
Slow
Apathetic
Peaceful
Avoids music, though he loved it once,
because he doesn’t like to get trapped into wishing he had things
he doesn’t have
Used to be depressed, but then he came
to terms with his life and accepted everything
Is a Stoic; believes in not taking
things hard; studied philosophy in high school
He got into drugs when he was a senior
in high school; parents kicked him out; had to drop out of school;
tried to work, but couldn’t; wound up homeless.
Decided he needed to do one thing in
life that was worthwhile; he quit drugs, and walked from Columbia all
the way to Florence.
Loves reading; has a collection of
books stashed under a bush in Timrod Park; he has a book on stoicism,
a book on Platonic Philosophy, a book on Buddhism, Great
Expectations, Les Miserables, a memoir of a former
homeless person who became a doctor; and the Bible.
Wants to start an organization of
homeless people to help other homeless people, but doesn’t think it
will ever happen.
Once wanted to be a famous guitarist;
but hasn’t been able to play guitar in years.
Hence he quit listening to music; once
upon a time, he loved rock.
He is 36 years old, but aged fast
because he used to be on drugs and because he hasn’t had much in
the way of the basic necessities for a long time.
Was diagnosed with schizophrenia in
high school, but keeps things sane with meditation and staying
grounded.
Occasionally develops a delusion of
grandeur, but always fights it off.
With a quickening heart beat, I picked
up my phone off my dresser and dialed Jessica. It rang three times
before she picked up.
“Hello?”
“Hey Jessica, it’s Josh,” I
said. All my bad feelings were melting away at the sound of her
voice. It felt so good to talk to her.
“Hey Josh,” she said sweetly.
“How have you been? You seem really down lately.”
“I know,” I said. “I’m sorry.
I’ll try to be more upbeat.”
“Josh…” Her voice trailed off.
“Yeah?”
“It’s not about appearances, all
right? I want you to be happy. I swear, you always say you’re
happy, but every time I catch a look at you alone you look like you
want to die. You should see your own face, Josh.”
I couldn’t believe it. Not her,
too. “Jessica, I’m fine.”
“No you’re not,” she said, her
voice breaking. “You think we’re all blind, don’t you? Well
maybe I am, but our friends aren’t. Mike says every day you come
to school there’s some strange mark in your arm, like you were
cutting yourself or something. Have you been cutting yourself,
Josh?”
“No,” I said.
“Josh!” she said in a drawn out,
heartbroken moan.
“Look, I don’t want you to worry
about me,” I said.
“Yes you do though! If you didn’t
want help you wouldn’t be seeing a psychiatrist….”
“How’d you know about that?”
“Josh!” she repeated. “My baby
sister sees the same woman. She saw you there.”
I swallowed. “It’s my parents’
idea. I didn’t want to go.”
“I should have figured.”
We paused.
“Look,” she said, “we’ve been
dating a year now, right?”
“Anniversary’s on prom night,” I
said, suddenly feeling a little lighter of heart.
“Look,” she said, “when I first
met you, you were always free, bigger than life, doing crazy things
like jumping off the second floor at school, or challenging guys
twice your size to a boxing match because you thought it would be
fun, then doing it again even though you got your ass kicked. You
were always happy-go-lucky, kind of crazy, but now… now every time
I look at you you’re looking down, or there’s some cut on your
arm, or you’re getting snappy with people that really aren’t
giving you all that hard of a time. You were a good student! What
happened, Josh?”
“I don’t know what’s wrong,” I
said. Then I said, “I wish I did,” at the same time as she said:
“I don’t even know you anymore,
Josh.”
“What do you mean?” I said. “Of
course you still know me. I’m still the same guy.”
“No you’re not. I want to help,
but this is hard on me. I can’t take it much longer, Josh.
Jeremy’s saying he wants to get back together, and all my friends
think I’m fighting a battle I can’t win with you. Josh…”
“Yes Jessica?”
“I can’t do this anymore. Can we
take a break?”
“No, Jessica,” I said desperately.
“I love you.”
“I know, Josh,” she said, her
voice breaking. “But I can’t do this anymore. I’ve tried
helping you… I’m sorry, Josh.” She sniffed. “I have to
go.”
“Wait, Jessica,” I said weakly.
“No, I have to go, Josh,” she
said. “Goodbye.”
She sniffed, and then hung up. I held
the phone close to my ear till the voice in the phone had said, “If
you’d like to make a call, please hang up and try again.” After
the beeping came on, I threw my phone across the room. It sailed
through the window to the sound of breaking glass.
I panicked. What would Mom and Dad do
if they found out I’d broken my window? I was so upset I didn’t
care anymore. I went to behind the curtain where I kept my steak
knife hidden and started tearing it along my flesh, breathing heavy
with the sobs I wanted to give, but that would not come to relieve
me. I cut around toward my wrist, when I heard footsteps in the
hallway. I couldn’t do this to Mom and Dad. I’d have to wait
till they were gone. Maybe it wouldn’t be as hard on them if I
waited. I’m sorry, Mom, I thought. I can’t do this anymore,
either.
The door flew open, and Dad burst in,
swearing. “Did you break some glass in here?” he bellowed.
He looked at me and knelt down,
saying, “Give me that.” When I didn’t, he grabbed my wrist and
twisted it. The pain felt good, so I didn’t care, but it somehow
did loosen my grip, and he took the knife away.
“Jesus Christ!” he exclaimed as he
looked at my wrist. “What do you think you’re doing?”
Mom came in, a phone in her hand.
“Should I call Dr. Clellum?” she
asked.
“Please, Mom,” I whispered,
looking up at her as she stared down in horror, dropping the phone.
“No,” said Dad, and in that brief
moment I wanted desperately to believe that they were going to let
the whole thing wash over. “Call 9-1-1.”
“Dad?” I said.
“Yes, Josh?” He looked stern like
always, but now there was pain in his eye.
“I don’t want to go to jail.”
“You won’t, son,” he whispered,
and hugged my head to his chest. And then I heard him start to cry.
“They’re busy,” Mom said. “I’ll
call Dr. Clellum. I think she can handle it.”
She dialed again, and I found comfort
in my dad’s arms. I started to cry at last myself, feeling the
release come on. It was going to be okay, I told myself; I was going
to be fine. Everything would work out. But even then, I didn’t
believe it.
“Hi, Dr. Clellum,” she said. She
paused. “This is an emergency, actually.” She paused again.
“I need you to see my son. He’s been cutting himself- badly.”
I realized for the first time that I
was bleeding a lot more than I usually did. I’d cut myself pretty
deep this time.
“Okay. Thank you, Dr. Clellum.
We’ll be right over.”
I heard her hang up. “All right,
Eric, bring him in the car, will you? Dr. Clellum’s waiting for us
at her office.”
“Can I trust you to walk on your
own?” said Dad.
“Sure,” I said. It was my last
attempt at the sarcasm/yelling status quo. It didn’t work very
well.
He helped me to my feet, and I walked
past Mom. As I did, I could see tears in her eyes. She walked
behind me, rushing past me in the living room to open the big black
door to outside. I walked down the steps, and nearly fell again. I
was scared. What was going to happen?
Mom led me to the car, and opened the
car door for me, too. Dad came out from behind the bushes lining the
stairs to the front porch, and got in on the driver’s side.
“Thanks,” I heard Mom mumble to
him as she climbed in beside me.
It didn’t quite register in my mind
why Dad was sniffing the whole way there, why there were tears
dripping into his lap. I thought he hated me. I halfway thought I
might hate him. But right then, I couldn’t- I felt lousy. I
wondered if I’d been wrong all this time.
Mom hugged me the whole way to Dr.
Clellum’s office.
As we climbed out of the car, it was
dark as night could get. Mom held my hand the whole way across the
yard to the door at the top of the stairs. I could hear her sniffing
in the dark as I opened the door, but even in the faint light of the
inside, I could not see her tears. I wanted to believe they weren’t
there, but I couldn’t.
Inside, Dr. Clellum was waiting.
“Okay,” she said. “Tell me what
happened.”
Mom sniffed. There was a lamp on;
that was all. We were sitting in the chairs of her waiting room,
masked in half-darkness. I noted with a very slight satisfaction
that the blood on my arm didn’t show up as well as it had in my
room. I was sure that if Dr. Clellum didn’t know what had
happened, she wouldn’t notice the cuts on my arm. I had faith in
the fact that most people were fairly unobservant. Mom and Dad had
never noticed my cuts before now; of that I was pretty sure.
Dad told the story calmly; the tears
in his eyes were gone. “I heard something break in his room, and
it took me a minute to realize what had happened, but I was sure it
was his window. When I got in, he was lying on the floor cutting
himself with a steak knife. I think he may have meant to kill
himself. He was awfully close to his wrist.”
“What do you want to do about it?”
said Dr. Clellum.
Dad looked speechless for once, and
then Mom said, “We were hoping you could tell us the appropriate
action.”
“All right,” said Dr. Clellum.
“I’m going to leave it up to Josh.”
“Really?” I said, feeling my eyes
light up. “I think I should get a good night’s sleep and….”
“That’s not what I meant,” said
Dr. Clellum. “I’m going to give you a choice. Either you can go
on medicine, or you can go to a hospital like we talked about earlier
today.” She hesitated as I considered, saying, “The hospital
would take care of you, people would check on you, and it would be
like summer camp for three or four days.”
“I won’t have to go on medicine if
I go there?” I said.
“No,” she said, “you won’t.”
“That doesn’t sound too bad,” I
said. “Medicine scares me anyway. I’ll go to the hospital.”
“Mr. and Mrs. Hammonds, do you want
me to come with you?”
“Yes, ma’am,” said Mom. “That
would be very nice.”
“All right,” she said. “Let’s
go then.”
We walked outside to the sound of
crickets chirping. It was raining lightly. I could see the moon as
clouds passed to let it show; it looked brilliant, beautiful, serene.
Everything I wanted to be. Everything I feared I would never be
again.
It was a long drive, and I fell
asleep. The last thing I remembered was Dr. Clellum talking on her
cell phone about me in a professional manner. I woke up to car doors
opening. It must have been midnight. The sky was much clearer. I
got out, and Mom hugged me. So did Dad.
“I’ll wait here,” said Dr.
Clellum. “I already faxed in the information before you got to my
office. I confirmed via phone. There shouldn’t be any trouble.”
“Thank you, Dr. Clellum,” said
Mom.
“Mom,” I said, “If I don’t
like it in there, could I come out?”
“We’ll take you out if the
psychiatrists say it’s okay,” said Mom.
We turned to face the walkway. The
place looked expensive. Nice, trim bushes; a few good trees; a
fresh-cut lawn; brick walls; a large glass entranceway. We walked
down the sidewalk leading to this entrance, and pressed on the door
to go inside. A little bell rang, and a small blond woman dressed in
scrubs came out from behind a large oak counter.
“Can I help you?” she said.
“Yes, ma’am,” said Mom. “I’m
here with Joshua Hammonds.”
“Yes, ma’am,” she said. “Right
this way.”
She started to walk toward two great
locked doors, but I said, “Wait.”
She stopped, turning around. “Yes?”
“Wha….” I didn’t know what I
wanted to say- just whatever it would take to get out of this place.
“Is this a medical hospital?”
“This is a mental institution,
dear,” she said.
“Wha- no!” I wheeled around,
walking out toward the door, my whole body trembling. “I’m not
going into a mental institution. She said this was a hospital!” I
wheeled back to face everyone else and kept backing toward the door.
“Is he going to be okay?” said the
small blond woman.
“Joshua!” said Mom. “You’ve
got to come willingly, or we won’t be able to take you out if
things get rough.”
I was panicking, but not so bad that I
couldn’t understand reason. I stopped. “I want to talk about
it,” I said.
“Sure,” said the nurse. She led
us into a little room with one door leading into the reception room.
She opened the door for us and stood to let us in, calling over her
shoulder, “Sonya! Take over, will you?”
“Sure thing,” said a voice behind
me.
As I walked inside, I saw a few chairs
and a small desk. The floor had the same purple carpet as had been
in the lobby, and the ceiling was like the ones at school. I thought
the chairs were nice- very comfortable.
“Listen,” she said. “This
doesn’t make you crazy, it’s just a place to get away from stress
for a week.”
“A week?” I said. “Dr. Clellum
said it would be three or four days!”
“Well, I suppose that’s possible,
but it’s not likely. Most of our patients are out in a week or a
little longer.”
“I can’t stay past a week. I’ll
miss prom.”
“I’m sure the psychiatrists will
do everything in their power to get you out of here before prom. Now
listen, everyone likes it here. Some things to expect, some of the
patients don’t like the food because their medicine makes it
tasteless. We have a very structured day, and counseling three times
a day. You’ll have some time in the gym, some class work from your
school, and some time in the rec room.”
“What’s that?”
“Rec is short for recreation. It’s
things like painting. Yesterday they made tapestries; sometimes they
just play video games.” She paused, eyeing me carefully, I wasn’t
sure why. “Now we do get to watch TV in here, but what you can
watch is monitored by the counselor on duty. I’ll tell you now
some of the patients call it prison, but everyone likes it here, and
I’m sure you’ll get along fine. Is there anything else you’d
like to know?”
“I think that pretty much covers it,
thank you,” said Mom.
“All right then,” she began, but I
interrupted her.
“Wait. What about… I mean, can I
leave if I want to?”
“Your parents put you in here for
cutting, is that correct?”
“Yes.”
“Then unless the counselors begin to
suspect suicide, your parents can take you out at any time. But
don’t worry! We have fun here.”
“Okay,” I said.
“Okay?” She stood. “Right this
way then.”
We walked out of the little room to
the two big doors at the end of the reception desk. She scanned a
card through a little slot on the side, and a green light flicked on.
She opened the doors, and we passed through. We were in a hallway,
with two little rooms on either side. We continued walking, reaching
another locked double door with a card slot for her to scan her card
through, which she did. The doors clicked, and she opened them.
“Why are all the doors like this?”
I asked.
Holding the door open for us, she
said, “It’s just a precaution. Just in case someone tries to
break out.”
“Has anyone, ever?”
“It’s confidential,” she said,
shutting the door behind me and my parents. “That’s another
thing I should have told you. Everything in here is confidential-
between you, your psychiatrist, and whomever you choose to tell.”
I was beginning to feel better.
At the end of this hall was another
reception desk, with a hallway leading off to the right towards a
door leading outside. To my left was another hallway leading to a
large common room, and along the hallway were a multitude of doors
that I assumed led to bedrooms. The hallways were brick, the doors
were wood. Everything seemed to be high quality and kept so.
Nowhere was there a sign of dirtiness or clutter. I took all this in
in a moment and stopped at the reception desk. Behind it stretched a
hallway with more doors leading to another common room.
I realized my parents weren’t behind
me, and turned with a feeling of slight panic. They were standing at
the door with the woman.
“Parents aren’t allowed beyond
this point,” she said.
“Mom,” I said, “Dad. I love
you.”
“We love you too, Joshua,” said
Dad.
“We love you too,” repeated Mom-
and then they disappeared behind that door with the little blond
woman.
An overweight black woman came out
from behind the desk with a Polaroid camera.
“We have to take your picture for
our records,” she said, and positioned me beside an Easter bunny.
“We keep up whatever’s in season,” she explained- “even a
little late. We’re about to put a sun up. You’re the very last
person to use this.”
“Easter Sunday was two weeks ago,”
I said.
“I know,” she said. “That’s
why you’re the last.” She flashed me a smile, and everything was
okay for a minute. She moved my arm around the ears of the Easter
bunny, saying, “Hold it there.”
She took a quick step back, then
clicked. A photo came out, and she waved it in the air a minute,
then showed it to me. It wasn’t a bad picture. Kiddy bunny,
though.
“When’s your birthday?” she
asked me, retreating behind the desk with the picture.
“May 18,” I said.
“Ooh! Seven more days.”
“And graduation’s the 20th,”
I said.
“Well congratulations to you, grad,”
she said enthusiastically, typing something into a computer on the
desk. A minute later she came out from behind the desk and led me
down the hall.
“Now I want you to understand that
from this point on you are not to touch anyone. If you do, you will
be punished, so no hugs, no handshakes, nothing of that sort, okay?”
“Okay- but why?”
She stopped by one of the wooden
doors, and so I stopped, too.
“Policy. We don’t want any
fights breaking out or anything sexual. You’re not wearing a belt,
are you?”
“No.”
She looked at my
shoes. “Give me your shoes,” she said.
“What?”
“Your shoes. You
could use your shoestrings to hurt yourself, strangle yourself or
something like that. Policy. Give them here.”
I took them off.
“I’ll have
someone put some sandals in your room for you,” she said. “Now,
another thing- in the morning, you’ll need to be up by 7:30, and
you start breakfast at 8:00. We have a structured day, and we’ll
expect you to keep up with it. You’ll be told some of the other
rules in morning group, and there’s a phamplet in your desk. Now
you’re getting your own room, so be grateful. Good luck.”
She put the key in the lock, and
opened the door for me. I stepped inside. She shut it behind me,
and I tried to open it to thank her- but it wouldn’t open. She
fumbled with the lock on the outside, and I asked her through the
door, “Why am I locked in here?”
“Policy,” she said. “For
security. Now go to sleep.”
I groped for the light switch and cut
it on. There was a pitch-black window at the far end, two beds, and
a desk with a chair and a lamp in between the two beds. A dresser
was at the foot of each bed, on the other side of the room.
Everything looked nice. I undressed and cut off the light, wondering
what I was supposed to wear for a week- or a little more. And how I
was ever going to get out of here.
Chapter III: Reality
That first night was the longest night
of my life. I tossed, I turned, struggling to fall asleep. The bed
was like rock. Every position I could find was uncomfortable. And
my head was a whirlwind. I could sense something trying to speak
with me. I wanted to shut it out and go to sleep, but I couldn’t.
Finally I got up, cutting on the light, and sat on the edge of my
bed.
There was that niggling voice in the
back of my head, like it was a separate entity, whispering in my
thoughts. It said, “Please, let me prove to you that I’m real.”
I found that fairly harmless. “Okay,”
I said.
“All right. In two minutes, someone
is going to come in and check on you. She’ll ask if everything’s
all right.”
I couldn’t believe I was doing this.
“Okay,” I thought back in my head. “But what is it you want?”
“I want to teach you martial arts,”
it said.
“Why?”
“You want to learn, don’t you?”
This was true. “Yes,” I answered
mentally.
“Then let me teach you.”
“Who are you?” I asked. It was
like a thought; I would become aware of its answer, and then it would
take the form of words as I understood what it was saying. I would
respond the same way.
“I’m God,” it said.
He had spoken to me before, but never
about anything important. I felt like I was being sucked into a new
world, and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to be part of it.
I sat on my bed, looking at the door
expectantly. “I’m a fool,” I thought, “for listening to
this.”
“You’re not a fool,” it said.
Suddenly there was a knock on my door,
quiet, like the person doing the knocking didn’t want to wake
anyone else up.
“Hold on a second,” I said,
feeling strange as I pulled the covers over me to the swishing sound
they made as they rubbed up against legs. “Come in,” I said.
The door opened, and a tall blond
woman came in. “Are you all right?” she said.
“Yes ma’am,” I said.
“You need to turn your light out,”
she said. “You’re not supposed to be up. Can I turn out the
light for you?”
I nodded, not looking her in the eye.
My heart was racing. What did this mean?
“I’m real,” said the voice in
the back of my head.
The woman turned out my light, and I
heard the door click shut a minute later.
I got back in bed.
“I want you to write a book,
dictated to you by me,” said God. “You are to share it with no
one.”
Funny thing, I thought, sharing all
this was the last thing I was going to do.
“And I will teach you how to become
immortal, like Noah.”
“Thank you,” I thought back. I
wondered if this was a good idea. Then I realized something: He had
told me exactly what would happen. There was no other explanation.
I reached over to the lamp on the desk
by the side of my bed. I clicked on one of its two bulbs, and took
out a pad of paper from the drawer. I was in luck. There was a pen.
“Can we do this now?” I asked.
“Okay,” said God.
I started writing down what he had to
teach me. First he covered kicking. He said to kick with the ball
of the foot, and to snap my leg out. He covered a few other things,
too, regarding punching. He gave me a training schedule for when I
got back home: learning to swing my fists for 2 minutes straight,
with goal dates based on a 6-week self-course. Then he went into
morality. He taught something he called “The Code,” and that I
was never to reveal it to anyone. I was surprised at the cool stuff
that was coming out:
- Never fight a man when you are in the wrong.
- Never start a fight without a good reason.
- Don’t fight because of anger.
- Seek peace, not violence, unless you are surely in the right and it solves a great problem almost entirely.
- Never break the Code.
- If you do, seek inward renewal.
- Ignore semblances.
- Despise falsehoods.
- Keep an open mind.
- Always be moral.
- Respect other moral people and aid them greatly.
- Keep them moral.
I would write down the whole list I
wrote down that night because I still have it; but it wound up going
onto 76 different rules. It included such things as, “Follow no
one but God;” “Value righteousness before everything else;” and
“Avoid looking for more things to have: knowledge, greater
strength, et cetera. Only seek what is needed, and what is not
something to have: honor, purity, fulfillment.”
Eventually God told me, “All right,
you’re getting tired, and it’s getting late. Title it, ‘The
Handbook,’ hide it somewhere safe, and go to bed.”
I went back to sleep with much greater
peace of mind. My “voices” were real. They were the voice of
God. I was learning from him. He had always been supportive; now I
knew why.
As I fell asleep, someone else
introduced himself to me. It was Musashi, who would be my spirit
guide, and my personal instructor in martial arts.
How had I gotten here? I wondered. I
was actually in a mental institution. How crazy was that? But I
was comfortable about my sanity now. I knew I was sane. I laughed
to myself, imagining what Mom and Dad would say. I decided to tell
them tomorrow, just to get a kick out of it. They’d believe me
when they saw me perform some drills I’d learned from God and
Musashi. For the first time in a while, I was looking forward to
something. As I tried to get comfortable, I had much greater peace
of mind than I’d had all week; this was cool. But I still had to
toss and turn, since the bed was so uncomfortable, and my one at home
was so nice. I needed a good night’s sleep, but it seemed like I’d
barely stopped tossing and turning when there was a knock at my door.
“Breakfast!” it called.
Darn. I looked to the window, seeing
the sun there above the fence, and then crawled out of bed, put my
clothes back on. I stumbled to the door, half-conscious, and opened
it.
A tall, bearded, country-ish looking
man with broad shoulders and a dress shirt on stood in front of me,
looking down at me. He peeked in my door over my shoulder. “Have
that bed made in five minutes,” he said. “Get to work.”
I turned around, and looked at my bed,
confounded. I wasn’t used to making my bed; usually I kept it a
mess, with the sheets twirled around in a heap on the bottom where
I’d kicked them to from the morning before. On this morning, my
bed looked just like it had for as long as I could remember.
I started spreading the sheets out
over the bed with my hands, when I heard a voice behind me say,
“Here, let me help you with that.”
I turned around to see a short,
dark-blond-haired kid, thin and freckled, walking into my room. He
glanced at my arm, but said nothing. He didn’t seem to notice the
thick red lines and dried blood on my arm. I turned to see that he
and I were alone in the room now. The man who had told me to make it
was gone.
The blond kid undid what I’d done so
far, and went to the bottom of the bed. “First, you’ve got to
lay it out,” he said. He gave the sheets a shake, and they spread
fairly evenly out over the bed.
“Now you’ve got
to tuck the edges in,” he said. “Like this- come on.” He was
lifting up the mattress and tucking the edges in with his hands. I
followed his example.
“Not bad,” he said, standing back.
I was fairly impressed myself. It was hard to imagine I had
participated in making such a neat bed.
“Thank you,” I said.
“We’re not done yet,” he said.
“We’re not?”
“Nope.” He then ran his hands
over the top of the bed, and I did likewise. When it was entirely
creaseless, in such a way as I had not beforehand believed possible,
he stood back. “Good job,” he said.
“Thanks,” I said. “What’s
your name?”
“George,” he said. “You?”
“I’m Josh.”
“Nice to meet you, Josh,” he said.
I stuck out my hand, but he only
looked at it. “What’s wrong?” I said.
“We’re not allowed to touch,” he
said.
“Oh yeah. A woman told me that last
night.”
“How late did you get in?”
“Late,” I said.
“You sleep okay?”
“Could you sleep on that mattress?”
He grinned. “I’ve been here five
days, and I’m just now getting used to it. Come on, let’s go out
to the common room.”
He opened the door the rest of the
way- it had never been fully shut- and walked out. I started to
follow him, but an old man in a suit stepped inside before I could.
“Sit down a minute,” he said in a
business-like voice.
“Yes, sir,” I said.
I sat down.
“You’re Joshua Hammonds, right?”
“Josh, actually,” I said.
“Here for cutting?”
“Yes sir.”
“Okay. I have a few quick questions
for you, to help me get a preliminary diagnosis before we run
testing.”
“Testing?”
“For diagnosis,” he said, then,
before I could ask him to explain, he sat down in the chair, taking
out a folder with brackets and paper inside, and went on, saying,
“Ever been on medicine before?”
“No, sir.”
“History of mental illness in the
family?”
“No.”
“How are you feeling today?”
“Tired,” I said.
“Have you had any feelings of anger,
paranoia, guilt, anxiety or depression?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“Could you please list which ones?”
“Like, all of them,” I said.
“Okay.” I saw him writing on his
pad, and wondered nervously what he was going to do with the
information I gave him.
“Any history of hallucinations,
voices, or anything like that?”
“I used to think I heard voices, but
now I think it’s God,” I said proudly.
He wrote more than a check on his pad,
and I wondered if maybe I should keep my mouth shut.
“Hallucinations?”
“Occasionally,” I said, “but
it’s rare.”
“How often would you say?”
“It’s rare,” I repeated.
“As in once a month, a week, a day?
What would you say?”
“About once every two weeks, I
guess,” I said.
“And how often do you hear voices?”
“They’re not voices,” I said.
“How often does God talk to you?”
“I’m not crazy,” I said.
“No one’s saying you’re crazy,
Josh. I need to know this for my diagnosis.”
“I’m not crazy!” I said. “I
don’t need to get diagnosed with anything, I’m not schizo, I’m
not bipolar, I’m not crazy!”
The man who had had me make my bed
came in.
“Is there a problem, doctor?” he
asked.
“No, I think I’ve stayed long
enough,” he said, got up, and walked to the door. “Thank you for
your time, Joshua; I wish you a full and quick recovery.”
“I’m not crazy,” I muttered. “I
can’t be.”
He didn’t say anything, just walked
out.
The man who had been outside my door
stepped in. “If you don’t like it here,” he said, “that’s
too bad. You’re gonna have to learn to stay in line, or if you get
out of hand, and if you do anything, you will go to jail.”
I was scared for a moment as he
stepped outside and shut the door. I sat down on the bed, head
spinning. Why was I here? I wasn’t feeling as bad right now. I’d
just had a rough couple of days, damn it, that didn’t make me
crazy.
I held my head in my hands. I wanted
to ball up and die.
“Breakfast!” someone called.
I walked outside. There were four of
us: a short, Asian boy with jet black hair that stood up and a sharp
face; a red-haired, pretty, fleshy girl with long curly hair; and
George. The man who had woken me up was at the front, with a short,
fat black woman who looked about 40. The man couldn’t have been
30. More like 25, the way I was looking at him.
“Everyone say hi to our newest
patient,” said the short black woman.
George coughed, saying underneath,
“Inmate.”
“Very funny, George,” said the
woman. “Why don’t we introduce ourselves?”
“I’m Ashley,” said the plump
red-head. She had a sweet voice, and her face was sweet as she
beamed up at me.
“I’m Guy,” said the Asian. He
clapped a hand to my shoulder. “Nice to meet you.”
“Take that hand down!” hollered
the man.
Guy looked at the man, then shrugged
and took it down.
“Come with me,” he said, and led
Guy off down the hall to a little room on the opposite side of the
hallway opening by the desk. He shut the door behind him and then
came back. “Just so you know, Josh, there’s no touching allowed.
We will not tolerate it.”
“It’s not like he hurt anyone,”
I said.
“That’s enough, Josh. I don’t
want any trouble from you. I’m Roy, and this is Amy,” he said,
motioning toward the short black woman. “Now you know everyone’s
names, so let’s go to breakfast.”
He turned, and walked off down the
hall. I followed him, when I heard someone say “Hey,” behind me,
and I turned to see George. “What’s wrong?” he said.
I slowed down to get to the back,
behind Guy and Ashley, to talk to him. “The stupid psychiatrist
thinks I’m crazy,” I said.
“Shoot,” he said. “Psychiatrists
think anyone they see is schizophrenic.”
“Thanks,” I said.
“Look, don’t take it wrong. Lots
of people with problems don’t ever go to psychiatrists. Others get
help, get a title, maybe a disability, can’t join the army and
things like that- hard to say which one’s better.”
“Why?” I said. “You don’t
want to be called crazy, do you?”
“It’s not like that,” said
Ashley from up front sweetly. “What a psychiatrist says doesn’t
change the truth- either way, you are or you’re not. Just, one way
you get help with it, the other way you don’t.”
“Well said,” said Amy.
We turned and Roy walked up to the big
steel double doors, scanning his card. We walked through.
“What are you in here for?” I
asked her. It was hard to imagine she had done anything.
“I tried to commit suicide,” she
said.
“Why?”
“I was having a rough time. People
picked on me. My grades were bad. I hated myself.”
“But you’re a nice girl,” I said
in shock.
“We’re not going back to pity
parties, are we?” said Roy.
“No,” said Ashley. “I’m
beginning to like it here.”
“Shoot,” said George. “You like
prison?”
“Yeah,” she said.
We walked up to a new double door, and
passed through it. Roy ran up from behind as we went on.
There was a moment of silence. The
atmosphere was not so bad. I was actually enjoying myself. We
walked down the hall further and opened a third double door. We were
now in the room I had come into fresh out of the first reception
desk. I wondered briefly if I could possibly get out. For a brief
moment, I involuntarily imagined myself darting outside the door and
running free. It was so brief, it’s difficult to imagine I could
have thought all that in the single moment it spanned, which was less
than a second. There was a strong urge with it, and then it was
passed; I then reflected on how ridiculous this thought was, as I had
no conceivable way of exiting that doorway, or of getting the card to
open it.
We turned right to glass-paned double
doors that weren’t locked. Refreshing, I thought. Roy opened them
and held them open for first Amy, then Ashley, then George and me.
The room was large, with several long
tables filled with red or blue cushioned chairs. Everything was
clean and shiny. There was a man dressed well sitting at the corner
at the far end of the wall I was passing, across from a man in green
scrubs who looked dazed.
“Come on, Mitch,” said the man.
“Time’s up.”
The two men got up and took their
trays past me to the lunch line, then walked out. Mitch looked far,
far gone. I never, ever wanted to be like that.
“Let’s get some grub,” said Roy
at the same time.
We walked to a lunch line separated
from the main room by a glass panel with a blue wooden bottom.
“Food here’s nasty,” said
George, turning around to talk to me.
“The lady who let me in here says
that’s because of our medicine.”
George snorted. “You’re not on
medicine yet, are you?”
“No.”
“Good. You’ll see, then.”
George motioned to let me in first,
and I picked up a tray. There was a cabinet full of small cereal
trays with those peel-back wrappers. Good selection. I took out a
Captain Crunch and a Cinnamon Toast Crunch, thinking this really
wasn’t that bad so far. I took out a grape juice, an apple juice,
and an orange juice carton from a little blue refrigerator to the
side of and below the cereal cabinet. I could see omelets and French
toast. Mmm, I thought. This is going to be good. I grinned at
George.
“You’ll see,” he said quietly.
I picked up a plate of French toast
and an omelet and trailed behind Ashley, picking up two packets of
syrup at the end of the line. The three of us sat down at the table.
I poured one of the packets of syrup
on the French toast, my mouth watering. I picked up my fork, and
took a bite.
It didn’t settle in my mouth as well
as I’d thought it would. I could taste the syrup, and there was a
slight flavor to the French toast, but not nearly as much as there
had been in the past when I’d had it elsewhere. I swallowed,
realizing that George was grinning at me.
“Are you converted?” he asked.
I laughed. “Looks like.” I
paused. “I have the world’s biggest headache,” I said. “I’ll
talk to you when I wake up.”
I slid my tray forward and put my head
in my arms. Almost instantly I could feel myself drifting off as my
head filled with blackness. Then a voice cut off my pleasure
sharply.
“Is it in the middle of the night?”
At first I thought he wasn’t talking
to me, so I tried to ignore him, but then he said, “Hey! Josh!”
My head popped up. Ashley laughed.
“Dang, you woke up fast,” she
said, and laughed again.
“This is breakfast, not sleepy
time,” said Roy.
I tried to read his face, but it was
the fierce scowl that I was beginning to think was his constant
expression. I sat up, leaning my head on my hand.
“Look lively!” he said.
I took my hand down.
“It’ll be all right, Josh”
George said to me in a whisper. “First day is always the
roughest.”
“Hey! We’re not throwing pity
parties over there, are we?” said Roy.
My headache burst. “What’s your
problem?” I asked him.
“It sounds like you got a problem,”
he said.
“I do,” I said. “This is
nonsense.”
“If you got a problem you can go to
quiet time. You want me to call someone down to take you there?”
“No,” I said.
“Then keep your head up.”
Tired and
frustrated, I cradled my head in my hands without thinking.
“Head up!”
“What’s your problem?” I
muttered.
“That’s it,” he said. “Come
with me.”
I was nervous as he got up and walked
toward me.
“Come on!” he said as he reached
me. Then, almost without pause:
“I’m not going to ask you again,”
he said.
“I didn’t do anything!” I said.
He started to lift me up by my
armpits, and I stood.
“Come on,” he said.
I followed him out the way we had
come. As we left the dining hall, I could hear the sprinkling and
clanging of trays being washed and stacked. We stopped at a bathroom
on the corner to our left on the side we were coming from.
“Go and wash your
arm off,” he told me, pointing to the bathroom. His voice was
calm, casual. I did as I was told.
As I watched the
blood turn the water red, I hoped no other day would find me doing
this again. I felt good afterward when I realized how much less
noticeable the rinsing had made my scars.
Outside, Roy showed
me to a little room on the side of the intersection of the adult ward
and the teenager ward halls, opposite the bathroom.
“It’s all right,” a little voice
inside my head said as we were walking, a thought whose source I
wasn’t sure of. “It’s okay. Just be easy and peaceful. Don’t
make it worse.” I then managed to identify it as a spirit.
As I walked in, I saw Guy sitting
there. He glanced up at me, then at Roy as Roy said, “Come on.
Come get something to eat, Guy. Time’s up.”
Guy stood, glancing down at me as I
slid down against the far wall. He then walked out. The door to the
quiet time room was shut partially behind me.
For some reason, I couldn’t sleep or
even stay in one position. It was surprisingly lonely in that room.
I felt like I wanted to reach out to someone, and my headache got to
the point where I felt like the walls were caving in on me. I wanted
out, bad. I swore to myself I’d get used to Roy. I’d get along
with him, and wouldn’t give anyone any trouble. I could be
careful. I’d have to be.
I only realized I’d been muttering
to myself when Roy stepped in, saying, “You all right, Josh?”
I nodded my head. “Yes, sir,” I
said.
“Come on out. Time’s up.”
Grateful, I stood and walked out. My
stomach was rumbling. I then realized that everyone was moving
toward the common room at the end of our hall. I followed
discontentedly.
Chapter IV: Morning Group
The common room was large, with a TV
in one corner, some shelves at the right end with board games and a
telephone, and many nice blue or red chairs scattered across the
room. On the far end from the doorway and the adjacent wall to our
left, there were windows. I could see the outside, and wished I
could go there.
We pulled up some chairs and sat in a
circle; I sat next to George. I was facing the TV, with the doorway
back to the teenager ward to my left. Amy, Roy and someone I didn’t
know were all there.
“First of all, let’s go around and
say our names, our hobbies, how old we are and what we’re here for,
if you’re comfortable with that,” said Amy. “I’ll start, and
we’ll move counterclockwise.” She cleared her throat. “My
name is Amy,” she said, “and I like writing poetry, drawing,
riding horses and going to church. And I’m not comfortable saying
how old I am.”
Ashley laughed first, and then the
rest of us joined in.
“And I’m here to help all of you
because I wanted to make a difference in the world,” she said.
The man to her right said, “I’m
John. I can be a nice guy, but I can be mean if I need to be. I’m
here because I was always interested in psychology, and I didn’t
have anything better to do.”
Next was Ashley. “I’m Ashley
Montana, and I like guys, meditation and the occult. As for why I’m
here, well… I had this boyfriend, and he was always beating me. I
didn’t want to break up with him, and I couldn’t stand another
day with him, so I tried to commit suicide, and now I’m here. I’d
like to thank Amy especially for helping me recover, I’m doing much
better, and I really like it here now and don’t want to go home.”
Guy was next. “My name is Guy. I
like martial arts, kickboxing and dirt biking. I’m here because I
tried to kill Ashley’s boyfriend. She and I are close friends,
I’ve always had a soft spot for her, and I was not going to let her
try to kill herself again over some J-A. So after they took her off
in an ambulance, I took out my switchblade and went to James’
house. I knocked on his door and told him to go get a knife because
I was going to kill him and I was going to be fair about it. I don’t
know what I was thinking. He got out his knife and we fought. He’s
in ICU right now, and I’m in here pending charges for attempted
murder. They want a psychological on me first. My parents want me
to plead insanity.”
“If you could go back,” said Amy,
“what would you do differently?”
Guy looked her in the eye and said,
“I’d knock him senseless instead, and threaten him, or maybe call
the police. But I wouldn’t try to kill him again. I realize now
how stupid that was.”
“Guy, thank you for sharing,” said
Roy, who was next. “As for me, I like wrestling, hunting, and
watching the old idiot box. I worked my way through college, and I’m
proud to be working at one of the best mental institutions in South
Carolina.”
George went next. “I’m George, I
don’t have any hobbies. I got kicked out of school for fighting
bullies, and then I got kicked out of alternative school for
fighting, too. They put me in here because I really don’t have
anywhere to go. That’s all I know.”
“What can you do differently when
you get out?” said Amy.
“I can ignore them or get a teacher
to help.”
“Good. Josh?”
“I can stop beating myself up so
much,” I said. It took a moment of group laughter for me to
realize I had responded to the wrong question.
“Sorry,” I said, grinning despite
the heaviness I felt in my heart. “I’m Josh Hammonds. I’m in
here for cutting myself. I get really agitated, and really upset,
and then it’s like if I don’t do something I’ll burst. I
almost killed myself, but I’m the one that chose to come here, I
had a choice, and I’m going to leave before a week’s up so I can
go to prom.”
“You might need to stay here two
weeks,” said John. He wore preppy clothes and had hair slicked
back with gel. He currently wore a smirk on his face. It was in
that moment that I fell to judgment and knew I did not like this guy.
“They promised me I could go out in
a week,” I said. “So I can go to prom. I just have to get my
girlfriend- well, my x-girlfriend- to go with me like we had
originally planned.”
“Two weeks,” repeated John calmly.
“You won’t be out in time for that.”
“Do you live here?” said Ashley.
“No,” I said. I told her the name
of my hometown.
“So do I,” she said. “I’ll
take you if you want.”
“Thanks,” I said.
“No, no, Ashley,” said Amy. “You
can’t have outside contact after you leave here.”
“Why not?” I said.
“It’s the rules,” said Roy.
“It’s confidentiality,”
explained Amy. “Josh, thank you for sharing your feelings. Now
who wants to explain the process here?”
“I’ll do it!” said Ashley in
sweet, gentle enthusiasm.
“Go ahead, Ashley,” said Amy.
“Okay,” said Ashley. “Every
morning, we go around the circle and ask everyone how they feel on a
scale of 1-10. If you feel really, really good, then you’re a ten.
That’s the best you can be. If you’re down, and feel like
suicide or something, you say a one. If you’re a two or below, you
need to talk to one of the counselors. In the evening, we do the
same thing again. Now everyone shares what they want to share in
group, and we’re not allowed to talk about it outside of group,
okay? And in each group, we usually have a topic or something to
discuss, or an activity. And that’s about it. How’d I do Amy?”
“Very well,” said Amy, pleased.
“You did a good job, Ashley,” said
Roy.
“Yeah,” said George.
“Thank you!” said Ashley
enthusiastically. Her face was a beaming smile, and her eyes shone
with friendliness.
“Now, Josh, why don’t you start?”
said Amy. “How do you feel on a scale of 1 to 10?”
I thought a moment. “Bad,” I
said.
“On a scale of 1 to 10?”
“Three,” I said. I really felt
like a one- that was for sure- but I wasn’t going to talk to a
counselor- that was also for sure.
“Ashley?” said Amy.
“Ten.”
There was a pause.
“Guy, you’re up,” said Roy.
“Two,” he said. “I think I
could be worse.”
“Make sure one of us talks to you
after group,” said Roy.
“Yes, sir.”
“I feel pretty good,” said George.
“Except that everyone else is feeling down- but put me down as a
7.”
I realized then that Amy was making
notes on a clipboard. I strained to see it, leaning over, but she
covered it up so that all I had seen was a chart. I hadn’t been
able to make out what was on it.
“Okay,” said Roy, taking the
clipboard from Amy. “Today’s topic is, ‘baggage.’ I want
everyone to take one of these, Ashley, pass these around please.”
Ashley reached over John to take a
stack of paper, and passed it around. When it came to me, I peeled
the top sheet off as the ones below became a little disorganized. I
handed it back to Amy, then read what was there.
At the top were a few questions and a
blurb.
John read the blurb aloud, saying,
“Sometimes we hold onto things from the past that we shouldn’t
hold onto. For example, if you used to fight with your parents, you
might hold onto that anger and express it in inappropriate
circumstances. Below is a worksheet to help you deal with your
emotional baggage.”
Looking up, he said, “I want all of
you to fill this out. I’ll give you… ten minutes.”
Everyone started working diligently at
theirs, and I noticed that the counselors were doing the same.
George passed a tray of pencils and pens to me, and I took a pen
before handing the tray to Amy. She put it up.
I looked at the first question: “What
are your current overriding emotions?” “Pain, depression,
confusion,” I wrote.
Next question: “Why do you think
you have these emotions? If they are negative, what emotional
baggage do you think might have led to them? If they are good, how
can you make them better?” I thought a minute. I had no idea why
I felt the way I did. No matter what happened, I felt like something
was going wrong. Right now the predominating stressor was this damn
institution, so I wrote: “I have these emotions because I’m
here, and also because I hate my life.”
I looked at the next question. “Whose
responsibility is your emotions?” That was easy- I knew what they
wanted me to put, so I put, “Mine.” It was true anyway.
“What can you do to improve your
emotions?” Hmm. Uhm…. Hmm. I wonder. If I’d had the answer
to that, I wouldn’t be here. I skipped it.
“If you could change one thing about
your life or yourself, what would it be?” That was easy: “Cure
depression,” I wrote.
Then there was Part II: “Draw three
things that are important to overcoming your emotional baggage, and
write why they’re important.” Three boxes, three lines under
each box, all in a row at the bottom of the page.
I hated drawing.
I looked up and around to see if there
were any colored pencils. I met Roy’s eye, and he went to the
bookshelf to get a tin container. As he came back, he said:
“Anyone need colored pencils?”
“I do!” said Ashley.
Roy handed the shallow tin to John,
and I could see the colored pencils and markers jumbled up inside.
John passed them around. I could hear the rustling of pencils and
markers clicking against one another as people selected them.
When the box came around, I picked out
four markers: red, brown, blue, and black.
In the first box I drew a
brown-handled knife with blood dripping off it; I outlined the blade
in pen. At the bottom, I wrote, “I need to stop cutting and
hurting myself.” In the second box, I drew a blue eye and wrote at
the bottom, “I need to stop seeing things in a bad light, and start
seeing them in a good light.” In the third box I drew a judge’s
gavel and wrote, “I need to stop judging myself.”
I looked up. Amy handed me the tin
with a smile, and I put my markers back in it. “Done already?”
she said.
“Yeah,” I said.
“Do you like it here?” she said.
She was so sweet I didn’t want to
hurt her feelings, but I was too upset to think about other people
right then. “I hate it,” I said.
“It’ll get better,” she said.
I didn’t answer. Everything in my
mind centered around, “I doubt that.”
“Ashley didn’t like it here
either, to start with,” she said, smiling warmly. “Now she loves
it.”
“Ashley didn’t like it here?” I
said. “Are you kidding?”
“No, I’m not. She wanted to go
home worse than anyone I’ve ever seen. Didn’t you, Ashley?”
She turned toward Ashley.
“Ma’am?” said Ashley, looking up
from her worksheet.
“I said you wanted to go home
something awful when you first got here,” said Amy.
“Yes ma’am, I wanted to get out of
here or die, and I didn’t care which,” said Ashley.
“You see darling?” said Amy. “It
gets better.”
I looked her in the eye, and what I
said next, as simple as it was, was sincere, flowing from my sincere
desire to believe what they were saying, that things really would get
better someday. All I said was, “Thank you.”
She smiled at me, then turned to the
group, saying in a louder voice, “Okay, who’s not done with their
worksheet?”
“I’m not!” said Ashley.
“Another five minutes?” said Roy.
“It won’t take me that long,”
said Ashley.
“How about another two?”
“That’s good with me, how about
everyone else?” said Ashley.
“I’m done,” I said.
“I’ll be done in two minutes,”
said George. I looked over at him and realized he had written a lot
in the spaces, and that he was now on his second drawing. It was of
a caveman, and I wasn’t sure what that was supposed to mean. At
least, I thought it was a caveman.
“I’m done,” said Guy. “Been
done.”
“Did you finish?” said Roy
sharply.
“That I did, buddy,” said Guy,
“that I did.”
“Let me see,” said Roy.
Roy walked over and put out his hand.
Guy handed it to him, and I caught a glance of a mostly blank paper.
Roy only took a glance, and then he handed it back to Guy.
“Fill it out, or you can go to quiet
time,” he said.
Guy sighed.
“You got a problem?” said Roy.
“No, sir,” said Guy, and got back
to his paper.
“You’d better shape up if you’re
going to stay here,” said Roy.
“I don’t want to stay here,”
said Guy.
“Would you rather be in prison?”
“No.”
“Then fill out that paper,” said
Roy.
Guy started writing things down.
Roy walked back to his seat.
“Fill it out, Guy,” said Ashley.
“I don’t have any baggage,” he
said.
“What about hatred against my
x-boyfriend?”
“Time’s up,” said Roy. “You’d
better have something down on that paper by the time we get to you.
George, you start so he can have some time. What did you write
down?”
George sat up in his seat, reading his
paper as he summarized. “I said my overriding emotions are
boredom-”
Guy laughed, and Roy said, “Is there
a problem, Guy?”
“No, sir, I just thought boredom
isn’t really baggage, you know?”
“It is to George, evidently. One
more outburst and I’ll send you straight to quiet time, got it?”
“Yeah,” muttered Guy.
Roy made a correcting sound in his
throat. “I’m sorry, I thought I heard you say ‘yeah.’”
“Yes, sir.”
“Good. I’m sorry you had to be
interrupted, George. Go on.”
“I said my overriding emotions are
boredom, apathy and listlessness. Sometimes I get frustrated,
sometimes down. But I am feeling more satisfied than I used to. I
think I have these emotions because my parents didn’t really raise
me, I kind of raised myself, and I haven’t had much support from
adults over the years.”
“Do you think you might dislike
adults because of this?” said Amy.
George paused. “Yeah, actually I
think I do.”
“Whose responsibility are your
emotions, George?”
“Mine.”
“And how can you overcome your
emotional baggage?” said Amy.
“I said that if I’m going to
overcome my baggage, I’ve got to take care of myself and take
charge of my life.”
“And if you could change one thing
about yourself, what would it be?”
“I’d be a type A personality
instead of a type B.”
“But that’s your strong suit,” I
said.
“No talking out of turn,” said
Roy.
“But everyone’s…”
“One more word and I’ll put you
outside group for five minutes.”
I raised my hand.
“Yes, Josh?” said Roy.
“That’s his strong suit- your
strong suit, George. You’re really laid back and easygoing and
supportive, and all that’s type B. If you were type A, you’d be
grabbing and overexerting and nitpicking and maybe even angry. I’d
say you’re a better person the way you are.”
“Thank you,” he said.
“What do you think about that,
George?” said Amy.
“I think Josh just made my day.”
“Do you think he’s right?”
“I don’t know.”
“Thank you for sharing, George.
We’ll go around a second time when we get to Part II. Josh, what
did you put down?”
“Well, for the first question, I put
pain, depression and confusion; for the second question I had a
really tough time, but I put down that it’s because I hate my life,
one, and two, because I’m here.”
“You can do better than that,”
said John. “Name some other things.”
“I don’t know,” I said.
“Would you think better outside
group?”
“No- please….”
“Then think of something,” he
said, and his face was only a blank half-smirk that he always seemed
to wear.
“I…I…” I thought hard. “I
don’t know.”
“Take a seat outside group, and come
back to us when you’re ready to participate.”
I got up, and sat down outside group,
nervous. I started muttering about John. He was so preppy.
Probably didn’t have any feelings.
“What’s that
Hammonds?” said John.
“Nothing,” I
said.
“If I hear my
name from your lips again, I don’t care if I still can’t tell
what you’re saying, I don’t care if you are saying I’m a
handsome devil, you will be out of here.”
I was scared they’d
put me in quiet time again. I stopped mumbling. I had to get this
done, and get back in group. I thought hard. “I’m hard on
myself,” I wrote down.
Amy had just started hers when I came
back into group. “Is this good enough?” I asked her, not wanting
to ask John or Roy.
“Let me see,” said John. He
grabbed the sheet, and looked at it. “What does this say?” he
asked.
“Sorry,” I said. “I have bad
handwriting.”
Ashley looked at it. “Good Lord,”
she said. “It’s chicken scratch.”
“Let me see,” said George.
“You can wait,” said Roy, looking
at it. “Tell you what. This is a once in a lifetime occasion- I
can’t read it.”
“You can’t read it?” said
Ashley. “That’s a bad sign, Josh. Roy’s handwriting’s
really, really bad.”
“Okay, Josh,” said John, looking
up at me with a smile that looked more like a smirk. There was humor
in his eyes. “Why don’t you tell us what this says?”
I took it from them and pointed to
each individual word in front of John’s, Roy’s and Ashley’s
bunched peering faces. “I’m- hard- on- myself,” I finished.
John nodded. “Good,” he said.
“That’s better. Welcome back to group, Josh.”
“Now see,” said Amy, “that
wasn’t so hard, was it?”
“Actually, it was,” I said.
“Know the feeling,” said Guy. I
realized he hadn’t even budged over my handwriting.
“Better not know the feeling,”
growled Roy.
Someone laughed.
“Well, why don’t you sit down and
go on reading your worksheet, Josh,” said Amy, “since none of the
rest of us can.”
“Okay,” I said. “My emotions
are my own responsibility…”
“Good,” said Amy as I went on.
“…and I can improve my emotions…”
I took a deep breath. I had forgotten that I’d skipped that one.
“You can do it, Josh,” said
Ashley.
“Think of something, Josh,”
whispered George.
“With all this encouragement, if you
can’t think of something, you should be ashamed,” said Roy.
“Give it a try!”
I really didn’t know, and the first
thing that I thought of was Buddha sitting on a grassy plain. I was
laughing inside, and I didn’t care anymore. “I could meditate,”
I said.
“Awesome!” exhumed Ashley.
“What?” I said.
“That was a good one,” said Amy.
“Yes, it was,” said Roy. “Very
original. Do you meditate?”
Improvising, I said, “Well, I guess
I meant I could learn.”
“I’ll teach him!” said Ashley.
“You will?” I said. I wasn’t
sure what I’d gotten myself into.
“It’s settled, then,” said John.
“Ashley, you can teach him after visitation hours are over. But
don’t teach him anything he doesn’t want to learn, okay?”
“Okay,” she said.
I wasn’t sure why he’d said that.
I really hoped I didn’t have to sit down and say, “Om,” thirty
thousand times. I grinned to myself.
“Oh don’t you worry,” said
Ashley. “I know what I’m doing.”
“She’s very talented,” said Amy.
“She taught me a little.”
“She taught you?”
“Yes.”
“Okay,” said Roy.
“Now how about the rest of your
worksheet?” finished John. “I assume you have it?”
“Yes, sir,” I said. I was feeling
a little bit better. The support from my new friends was wonderful.
For their gift of friendship, as crazy as it might sound when I’d
only known them for a few hours, this trip was almost paid for. “If
I could change one thing about my life, I would cure my depression.”
“That’s very honest,” said Amy.
“Yes, it is,” said John. Roy
nodded.
“Thank you for sharing,” Roy said.
“I believe Miss Amy is up.”
“Yes, I am,” said Amy with a nod.
“My current overriding emotion is ambition. I think it’s mostly
good, but it does lead to some stressing out at times- thank you
Ashley for help with that. It’s that way because my parents didn’t
finish high school, and I was scared to wind up like them. I know I
can keep up my ambition by thinking of everything they encouraged me
to do, before they died, reaching for my dreams, and never giving up
because I’m still reaching for my dreams. My emotions are my
responsibility, and I can improve my emotions by learning to accept
when I don’t do as well as I’d like to do, being more content
with what I’ve got and what I’ve already achieved, and”- she
glanced up at Ashley with a smile- “beginning a frequent meditative
routine.” She paused. “And if I could change one thing about
myself, I would make myself never think of myself, but always other
people, and be more like Jesus.”
She looked at John expectantly.
John said, “My
overriding emotion is humor. I think I have this emotion because I
don’t take things seriously, even if I act like I do. My emotions
are my responsibility, and I can improve my emotions by listening to
people better. And as for one thing to change about myself or my
life, as to that, I would make myself filthy rich and retire
tomorrow.”
There was laughter, but Amy said,
“Come on, John, be serious. We want to set a good example.”
“Yes, ma’am,” he said, a twinkle
of mischief in his eye as he gave his smirk-smile at her. “I would
be married to a beautiful woman with a high IQ and a good sense of
humor. No offense to my girlfriend.”
It was strange to watch how, even as
he said something designed to elicit a response, the only part of him
that changed was his eyes. The smile stayed the same; the
expression, the same. His eyes only glowed, twinkled or shone, as
they did now while Guy grunted, George and I laughed a little, and
Ashley said, “Shame on you.”
“All right then, let’s hear yours,
Ashley,” said Roy. “We’ll see how deep you are.”
“Okay,” said Ashley. “I said
that my overriding emotions were peace and happiness….”
“Sure,” said John.
“No, that’s true,” said Ashley.
“Go on,” said Amy.
“And I can keep this up by staying
on my meds and continuing therapy. My emotions are my
responsibility, and I can improve my emotions by being optimistic and
grateful for what I have, and also meditating and praying. If I
could change one thing about myself, I don’t think it would be
mental illness because it’s a huge part of whom I’ve become, and
I don’t think I could have gotten here without it. No, for me, I’d
change my weight- I’d like to be slim and beautiful.”
“Shame on you,” said Roy, and
there was a bit of goodhearted laughter. “Guy, you’re up. You
got something or are you going to quiet time?”
“I don’t have any baggage,” he
said.
“Ugh! You’re out of here! Get
going.”
“Come on, Guy,” said Ashley. “You
must have some anger against my x-boyfriend for what he did to me-
couldn’t you need to forgive him, or something?”
“My only baggage,” said Guy, “is
that I loved you from the moment I saw you….”
“That’s not appropriate for
group,” said Amy, but Guy drowned her out, raising his voice.
“… and that every time I do
anything in the back of my mind all that’s there is what I can do
best for you….”
“Then take her advice!” shouted
Roy.
“…and if I go to jail, if these
people put me in a mental institution for the rest of my life, I’ll
sleep better at night,” said Guy, nearly shouting, as Roy and John
stood and came over toward him, “because I’ll know you’re not
getting whipped by some jackass, cause I took care of him…”
He looked up at Roy, who was grabbing
him by the armpits and hauling him to his feet.
“You got a problem?” Roy shouted
into his face.
“I got a problem,” said Guy, no
longer shouting. “But I took care of it. Now I’ve got a new
problem. But I can’t fix it, and you can’t, because if I’m not
in jail I’ll be stuck in a shit-hole like here….”
“That’s it,” said Roy, and
shoved him hard over his chair. The chair slid, then flipped as Guy
stumbled backward, then fell, his body sliding off the edge.
“Miss Amy, take them out of here,”
said Roy.
“Come on, you three,” said Amy.
She got up and walked widely around Guy, and I followed behind
George, Ashley at her side.
I looked over my shoulder, and saw Roy
holding Guy down, trying to turn him over as his feet flailed in the
air, John just out of reach. As I looked forward again, I saw a
plump, white blond nurse in green scrubs running toward them with a
syringe in her hand, the handle drawn back.
“Come on,” said Amy, “quickly
now, you three.”
She led us through the hallway our
rooms were on, then turned toward the hall leading to the dining hall
and the front entrance but stopped us just ahead of the double doors,
scanning her card on a locked door. She propped the door open with a
chair, and we filed into the room. It was much smaller, with a table
in the middle and a bunch of the same chairs as had been in the
common room. There was a dry erase board at the wall on the right
hand side, which was next to the doorway, and the room extended to
our left. The walls were blue.
I sat down in a chair, thoughts racing
about Guy. I hoped he’d be all right. I wanted him to be okay.
“Time’s about up for morning group
anyway,” said Amy, sitting down. “Where were we?”
“That’s everyone,” said Ashley.
“Everyone that’s here, that is.”
“Yes, that’s so. Well, does
anyone have anything they’d like to share?”
John and Roy walked into the room,
sitting down like nothing had happened.
“I don’t know what to do about
Guy,” wailed Ashley. “He’s been such a good friend for such a
long time, but I didn’t know he liked me.”
“Do you like him?” said Amy.
“As a friend, yeah.” She paused,
and no one would speak till she answered. “But not in that kind of
way.”
“Then you shouldn’t worry about
him. It’s better to surround yourself with people who are going to
help you….”
“Didn’t you hear him? Don’t you
know what he did because of me? He’d give his life for me!”
“The way he’s going,” I said,
“he probably will.”
“Well, I’m sure you’ll find the
answers you’re looking for eventually,” said Amy. “Meditate on
it.”
Ashley sighed. “Yes, ma’am.”
“And if you need to talk to me, we
can go somewhere private right now.”
Ashley nodded. “Okay.”
She and Amy walked out of the room.
Roy spoke up. “Why don’t you two
tell us what your drawings were,” he said. “George, you first.”
“I drew an orange, because I need to
enjoy life; a rainbow, because I need to look on the sunny side; and
a monster, because I need to overcome my fears.”
“Thank you for sharing, George.
Josh?”
“I drew a judge’s gavel, an eye
and a knife. The knife was because I need to stop cutting and
hurting myself…”
“Good so far,” put in Roy.
“… the gavel was because I need to
stop judging myself, and the eye was because I need to stop seeing
everything in such a bad light.”
“Thank you for sharing,” said
John.
I heard a thud, and went to the door
instinctively.
“Sit down,” said John.
I glanced outside the door, then
returned to sit down. The quiet time room door had been getting
struck. Now I could hear Guy screaming.
“I’ll get out of here!” he was
saying. “I’ll get out of here! You let me out, or I’ll
fucking bust this door down and break loose! I’ll beat the shit
out of every one of you! Bitches! Let me out, let me out!”
It went on like that.
“I told you to sit down,” said
John. “You should have sat down immediately.”
“Yes, sir,” I said.
“Good. Next time I’ll sit you
outside group.”
“Yes, sir.”
“Good. I like your manners, Josh.”
“Thank you. What’ll happen to
Guy?”
“That’s none of your concern,
Hammonds,” said Roy.
I thought I heard the quiet time room
door swing open, and I knew it had to have happened because Guy’s
screaming grew louder. Now it changed.
“Get away from me! Get away from
me! I’ll break your arm if you come any closer!”
Then there was a thud, and someone
else screamed. Roy’s head whipped around, and he ran out of the
room. There were sounds of a struggle, then Roy’s voice, “If you
keep this up we’ll call the police, Guy. Now stop before it’s
too late, you hear?”
“Give in, Guy!” I shouted.
“It’ll be okay!” hollered
George.
The struggle subsided some, and Guy
stopped screaming. Then there was a brief silence, after which he
screamed in pain, and then groaned loudly, and fell silent.
Roy returned with his clothes a little
ruffled, but he appeared otherwise unharmed.
I had in my head the image of Roy
shoving Guy over the chair. Guy hadn’t been violent till
afterward; the whole thing could have been avoided if Roy hadn’t
shoved him. “God!” I shouted, pulling my hair. Later I would
wonder if I was right, but right then I said exactly what was on my
mind: “Roy escalated it!”
“I won’t have any attacks against
counselors,” said John. “Go sit outside group.”
I got up and went outside group. I
could now see the quiet time door, but the small window at the top
didn’t allow me to see Guy. I wondered if he was unconscious.
Must be.
Just then the lights flicked on and
off.
John came to the door to look outside.
“Hey, lookee what I can do,” I
joked.
He went back inside.
I waited a few minutes, then everyone
filed out and John came back to me.
“You’re going to quiet time,” he
said.
“What for?” I asked.
“We can discuss that when you get
out. Now go.”
“Not if you don’t tell me why I’m
going,” I said.
“Get up,” he said, smirking at me.
This was his usual expression, however, and I wasn’t sure what it
meant.
I stood.
“Now come here.”
I followed him to the welcome desk,
then stopped. “Why are you putting me in there?” I asked.
He turned around. “I’m not going
to ask you again,” he said. “Are you coming?”
“I’m not coming till you tell
me….”
“Is that a yes or a no?”
“No.”
He looked away from me, and for a
moment his smirk vanished.
“Should I get help?” a nurse
asked.
He nodded. “Yeah.”
He turned back to me. “We could do
this the easy way,” he said.
“You tell me why I’m going, and
I’ll go,” I said. I was scared.
“I told you, we can discuss this
when you’re out.”
I wondered if I’d said something
like Guy had said. I hadn’t meant to if I had. Part of me said,
“Go inside,” but at the same time I felt as if this wasn’t
fair. I did not want to be a problem, but I really hadn’t done
anything, and I really would have gone if he would have told me what
it was I had done.
A tall, thin black counselor ran
toward us from the adult common room. I watched him approach.
John didn’t say anything a moment,
just turned.
“He won’t tell me why I’m
going,” I told the new counselor as he ran up. He ignored me.
They got on either side of me. I
started to back up, then John nodded to the other one, and each
grabbed me by the shoulder on his own side.
As they tugged me forward, my body
convulsed against them wildly. I shook and strained against them,
the world jolting around me. I waved backward and forward, neither
gaining nor losing ground as I struggled to free myself from their
grasp. I hurled John to the floor with one good sling, and he spun
off my arm, sliding through a rolling chair that spun away from him.
Now I was close to being free.
I hurled myself forward, then
backward, grabbing onto the black counselor’s arm and trying to
free myself. I was almost free when someone grabbed me from behind
and slung me to the ground. He must have been big because I went
down fast. Then whoever it was was on my back, holding me down.
John got up and came over to hold my
head down. I knocked my head against his hand, trying to get free,
but he grabbed my head by the hair and knocked it against the floor
twice. I paused.
“Let me up!” I said.
“No,” said John.
“What did I do?”
“I told you, we can discuss that
after you get out of quiet time.”
Someone was pulling down my pants. I
craned my neck around, but John pulled it down by the hair. I could
tell from the amount of force used that he hadn’t decided whether
or not to slam it.
“Relax or this will hurt,” I heard
a woman saying.
No.
I cocked my leg back, and kicked. It
scraped against something, not a real hit, but as the nurse shrieked
I kicked again, and again, and again. My legs flailed wildly.
“Someone get his feet!” I heard
Roy say.
He grabbed at them, but he couldn’t
stop them. I kicked for all I was worth. It was all there was
between me and getting tranquilized.
I heard heavy footsteps, and looked up
to see a very overweight, muscular black man who must have neared my
height or at least six feet running toward us. I had a bad feeling
in my stomach, but I kept kicking.
I had to get free before he could get
here because then it would be too late. There would be nothing I
could do if he got a hold of me.
I put my hands beside my chest and
pushed upward. The big guy who was on my back, whom I now realized
was Roy, put more of his weight against me.
“No, no,” I muttered, my voice
growing louder. “You’re not going to tranquilize me!” I
shouted.
The big black guy passed my range of
vision and someone was grabbing at my legs. I kicked higher. The
black man swore under his breath, and then got a hold of one of my
legs.
“Please!” I screamed. “Listen
to me! They won’t even tell me why I’m going in!”
At this point the man had both my
legs, and nearly had them under control.
“Please!” I screamed.
He slung them on the ground and
managed to hold them. I quit struggling. I could feel the weight of
two big men on top of me; I knew I was not going anywhere.
“Please!” I shouted. “I didn’t
do anything!”
The nurse pulled down my pants.
“I’ll go in peacefully!” I
shouted. “Just tell me what I did wrong! I won’t do it again!
Tell me!”
I started twisting, convulsing in my
final struggle to get free. But the needle entered my butt, and I
had to stop struggling in order to ease the pain. It was too late.
A second later they pulled out the
needle.
“We’re going to lift you up,”
said John. “Don’t make this hard.”
I didn’t have any fight left in me.
I stood, Roy and John lifting me up by the shoulders. Without
applying any force, they walked me to the door of a quiet time room
other than the one Guy was in, one at the entrance to the adult ward
beyond the welcome desk.
Chapter V: Mrs. Joy
As I sat in the corner of the room,
staring at the blank white walls, I wondered what I was going to do.
I wanted to give up. Problem was, I had given up- last night- and
now things were still going on. I couldn’t commit suicide; there
was no practical way. I couldn’t take a break; these damn
counselors saw to that with every five minutes I breathed. I
couldn’t go to sleep; that would lead to being back in here, and I
was so worked up now I knew there was no way I’d fall asleep. Two
times in quiet time. On my first day. That sucked.
Why was I getting in trouble just as
many times as Guy? I hadn’t killed anybody. Did our backgrounds
make a difference- or our personalities? I wondered because he was
angry, volatile; I was depressed, though perhaps also volatile. I
didn’t think John or Roy liked me. I could swear they held
something against me- I just wasn’t sure what.
What disturbed me was the fact that
none of the other counselors had listened to me. Damn John. I
didn’t see how they could trust him. I didn’t see how they could
ignore everything I’d said, as though I wasn’t there. Some
object. Not a human being, but an animal to keep under control.
Damn this place. May it burn in Hell.
Not that that was a terribly realistic
idea- though, if I had to choose, I think I could have easily put
Three Rivers in Hell. Maybe it would be good for the people there.
I needed something in my life,
something new, something to get rid of all this mess. The “voices,”
as anyone else would call them, were taking me on a new road. I
needed their help. No one here could do anything for me. That was
clear. But then, could the spirits I talked with in my head do
anything either?
I really wasn’t sure, but I knew I
was on the edge of something- something I couldn’t describe,
something I couldn’t see or understand, but something I desperately
needed. Something that could solve this whole mess.
I wondered if religion had any of the
answers I was looking for. Maybe this something I could feel myself
on the edge of was religion. Maybe God was calling me.
I wondered if God could solve my
problems. I wanted something to do on my own, though; I didn’t
want to rely on these spirits, or on God, or on anybody. I wanted to
be my own man. I wanted to be able to help other people, to be able
to guide them. I wanted to be like Buddha, like Jesus, like Gandhi,
like Mother Theresa, like the Dalai Lama or all those Buddhist monks.
I figured they had to be happy. And they were always helping other
people, people going through rough times like me. I wanted to be
like that.
I heard them opening the door, and
wondered how long I’d been in here. My head was spinning, and I
was starting to feel a little groggy.
Roy stood in the doorway. “Come on,
you’re done,” he said.
I staggered to my feet and followed
him out of the adult ward’s quiet time room, then turned left past
the reception desk and left again. There was one set of locked,
steel double doors just before the classroom; Roy scanned his card to
open them, and then we walked through. On the other side was a short
hallway leading to a normal door. I walked through it and into a
large classroom with a blackboard on the side of the wall to my left,
and a dry erase board to my right. The door was in the middle of the
wall, and several desks were lined neatly along the walls. The
teacher, a neat red headed woman with a warm smile, looked up as I
came in. She was dressed in a dark green skirt and a matching dark
green jacket with a white dress shirt.
“Hello- is it Josh?” she said.
“Yes, ma’am,” I said.
“I’m Mrs. Joy. Your teachers
haven’t sent anything yet, so you’re welcome to draw or read or
whatever you like.” She had a southern accent, beaming eyes and a
warm smile. It was refreshing to sit down in an empty seat, with no
counselors in sight, and just relax. I remember wondering how the
Hell she had wound up in here. She made me feel at home. I could
tell I was going to like Mrs. Joy, as surely as I’d known I
wouldn’t like John.
She sat down at her desk in the corner
of the room by the blackboard and turned to her computer. She
started typing away on it, but I was having the first of several
moments in which I felt the keen desire to open up, to spill out
everything that was inside me and get the help I needed because I was
sick of keeping it all jumbled up inside.
“Do psychiatrists here think
everyone’s crazy?” I asked.
“Don’t you talk like that,” she
said to me with a small laugh, turning to face me. “I’m sure
they don’t think you’re crazy.”
“They called what I hear voices,”
I said.
“This isn’t a conversation you
should carry on across the whole room, Josh,” she said. “If you
need to talk though, you’re welcome to come up here.”
I came to the front of the room, and
she pulled up a chair. “What’s bothering you?”
I hesitated. “I’m worried I might
really be crazy,” I said.
“Listen,” she said. “Don’t
you worry about it. Everything’ll be fine. Just because you’re
mentally ill doesn’t mean you’re crazy. I’ve been depressed
before myself. Do you think I’m crazy?”
“No, ma’am.”
“Are you going to be all right?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“Yes, ma’am,” she corrected.
“Yes, ma’am,” I repeated.
“And feel it,” she said. When I
looked at her in puzzlement, she grinned and said, “I’m just
teasing you.”
“Oh.”
“I’ll get you to loosen up,” she
said. “I did it to Ashley, didn’t I, Ashley?”
“Yes, ma’am,” said Ashley.
“Where are you from?” she asked.
I told her.
“Nice little town,” she said. “My
husband’s stationed there right now.”
“Your husband’s in the military?”
“Yes, sir, yes he is. Has been most
of his life, but now he’s just National Guard. And they wouldn’t
call him in anyway. He’s too old.”
I laughed.
“You’ll like it here,” she said.
“I don’t….”
“Yes you will,” she said, nodding.
“Won’t he Ashley?”
“Yes, ma’am.”
“The counselors here are mean,” I
said.
“No, they’re not,” she said.
“You’re just not used to them yet.”
“They put me in quiet time and
wouldn’t tell me why,” I said.
Guy snorted from somewhere behind me,
sounding a little dazed nonetheless. “Get used to it,” he said.
“That’s enough Guy,” said Mrs.
Joy.
“They say it’s for the sake of
treatment,” said Guy. “They say they taunt us for treatment.
That’s what the woman I talked to said.”
“That’s true,” said Ashley.
“Hasn’t made me feel any better
yet,” said Guy.
“Guy, get back to your work,” said
Mrs. Joy.
“I can’t focus in here,” he
said. “My mind’s gone.”
“You want to take a break?”
“Hallelujah!”
“Five minutes, okay Guy?”
“Sure.”
“Yes, ma’am,” Mrs. Joy
corrected.
“Yes, ma’am.”
“Good.”
I looked back to see Guy giving an
explosive sigh and leaning back in his chair. I turned back around.
“How can you work here?” I asked
her.
“What do you mean? I love it here!”
“Why?”
“All of you! I love my students.
We have a great time in here. Don’t we, George?”
“Yes, ma’am,” said George.
“You’ll like Mrs. Joy. She’s really nice.”
“I can tell,” I said.
“Thank you,” she said. “Thank
you too, George.”
“You’re welcome,” I said.
“You know I mean it,” said George.
“Thank you,” she said again,
lower.
George smiled at her, then returned to
his work.
“I need help,” said Ashley.
“I’ll be right there,” she said.
“Josh, do you need to talk anymore?”
“No, ma’am,” I said.
“Are you sure?”
I nodded.
“Okay then,” she said, getting up.
“Then why don’t you sit next to Ashley?” she said, walking
toward Ashley.
“I’ll sit next to George,” I
said.
“Josh doesn’t want to sit by me,”
Ashley said in a fake whimper.
“Why’d he sit by you when he’s
got me?” said George.
“Oh!” said Ashley as we all
laughed.
And it was strange: in that hellish
place, for one moment, I was happy.
“Ooh, she’s got an assignment on
fact and opinion,” said Mrs. Joy, lifting a paper from Ashley’s
desk.
I sat down next to George.
“Ashley’s a nice girl,” said
George. “Fact or opinion?”
“Opinion,” said Ashley.
“Good,” said Mrs. Joy. “You
want to do this together?”
“Yes, ma’am,” said Ashley.
“Sure,” I said.
“Here we go again,” said George.
Mrs. Joy grinned, but this was not
unusual: in the same way that John always seemed to smirk, Mrs. Joy
always seemed to be grinning.
“I am the man,” said Guy. “Fact
or opinion?”
“Opinion,” said Ashley.
“That’s a fact, and you know it,”
said Guy.
“Mrs. Joy is the nicest woman in the
world,” said Mrs. Joy.
“Opinion,” I said.
“Hey, I thought you were on my
side?” she said.
“Sorry,” I said.
“I’m just kidding,” she said.
“Loosen up, Josh, come on. Josh loves dancing, fact or opinion?”
“Fact,” said Guy.
“False,” I said.
“But doesn’t it have to be true to
be a fact?” said Ashley.
“Nope,” said Mrs. Joy. “Why
not, George?”
“Because if it can be supported with
evidence, it’s a fact, and because facts are not always right or
wrong. They change with the time, like how we used to think the
Earth was flat and then it was a fact- and therefore it still is.”
“George is getting technical,”
said Ashley.
“Okay, look at it this way,” said
Mrs. Joy. “If it can be proven true or false, it’s a fact. If
it’s something that you feel, it’s an opinion. You get it?”
“Can I try another one?” said
Ashley.
“Okay. Who can think of another
one?”
“Georgiana is a beautiful woman,”
I said.
“George is a what?” said Guy.
We laughed.
“That’s false,” said George. “I
am not a woman.”
“Ashley?” said Mrs. Joy.
“It’s an opinion,” she said.
“Yes, ma’am. I think you’ve got
it. You want to try these on your own or do you need more help?”
“I can do them on my own,” Ashley
said.
“And you don’t want me to read
them to you or anything?”
“No, ma’am, I can handle them,”
said Ashley brightly.
“All right, I’ll get back to doing
paperwork.” Mrs. Joy sighed. “Are you sure you don’t
need help Ashley?”
“Sorry, Mrs. Joy,” said Ashley.
“All right then,” said Mrs. Joy.
She grinned at Ashley and returned to her desk.
In that place, that hellish place, I
had felt a connection to my fellow patients; and now, now I felt like
I belonged. I didn’t know how long I’d be in here, but I hoped
it would be a long time.
Something stirred in the back of my
mind.
“Can I have some pen and paper?” I
asked.
“Sure,” said Mrs. Joy. “Right
over there on the bookshelf.” She nodded toward the back of the
room.
I turned and saw a bookshelf at the
back of the room. It had several books on it, mostly Great
Illustrated Classics, and, at the top, a large stack of drawing
paper, a large stack of wide-ruled notebook paper, a tin can full of
pencils and a few erasers, a tin can full of markers and colored
pencils, a bottle of white out, a pair of scissors, a stack of
magazines, some tape and some glue. The magazines had obviously been
ripped apart; any student would know it was for collages.
I took out two pens, a pencil and a
stack of notebook paper. I sat back down at my desk and asked the
spirits in my head, “Please teach me more.”
It was exhilarating, learning martial
arts from spirits. Every word they told me, I wrote down with
enthusiasm, and with the knowledge I would pore over that word for
hours in the future. It was awesome. It was like refuge in a storm.
God first instructed me in kicking,
during which he said to kick with the ball of my foot, to kick fast,
and to raise my knee before I kicked.
After that, he introduced me to the
spirit that was to be my principal teacher.
“This is Musashi,” God said, “your
new instructor. You met briefly last night, if you remember.”
“Hi,” said Musashi. “I am an
angel, and I will guide you in your lessons from this day forward.
God is often too busy, anyway.”
He took over my lessons then.
“What are you writing?” George
asked me.
“Nothing,” I said. “It’s
personal.”
“Do you like writing?” asked Mrs.
Joy.
“I do,” I said.
“Why don’t you write a short story
about something important to you?”
“I’ll do that sometime,” I said.
“Okay. Let me read it when you’re
done.”
“Sure,” I said.
“Good,” she said.
“I hate this place,” said Guy.
“Comfort him,” said Musashi.
“I’m sorry about what happened,”
I told him. “You’ve got the heart of a lion, man.”
“Thanks, you’re not bad yourself.
I could hear that nurse shriek from your kick and I could hear you
screaming right up till you’d been tranqed.”
“I was desperate,” I said.
“So was I. I’m sick of this
place. But I don’t see how things are ever going to improve.”
“I don’t know,” I said. “Maybe
if we like, turn to God or something….”
Guy grunted sarcastically. “I was
born Christian, raised Christian, and still am Christian, but I
haven’t seen much reason to give God much credit. He lets you
wander around, stumbling into stuff, in the dark, till you die.”
“That’s not true!” I said. “God
can speak to us.”
“Next you’ll be holding séances
with Ashley,” said Guy.
“Séances? What?”
“Ashley’s Wiccan,” said Guy.
“She is?” I said, looking at
Ashley.
“Yes, I am,” said Ashley. “Do
you know what a séance is?”
“No.”
“It’s when you try to contact a
spirit. But I don’t do those.”
“You don’t?”
“No. I prefer automatic writing.”
Guy laughed. “You two are going to
get along great,” he said.
“What’s automatic writing?” I
asked.
“When you contact a spirit through
writing,” she said.
“Awesome,” I said. This was what
I needed to know more about. This could explain what had been
happening to me recently.
“Well if you think it’s awesome I
could teach you,” she said.
“I’d love to!” I said. I must
have sounded pretty excited because the whole room burst out
laughing.
“Are you done with your work?”
Mrs. Joy asked.
“Yes, ma’am,” said Ashley.
“Then you two can start now if you
want,” Mrs. Joy said.
“Okay then,” said Ashley, turning
to face me. “Can we get on the floor, Mrs. Joy?”
“It’s fine with me.”
“Then sit down on the floor, Josh;
the first thing I’m going to teach you is how to meditate.”
“Can I learn how to do a spell or
something?” I asked her quietly. “Like fireball.”
“Boy!” she said. “Wicca doesn’t
teach things like that.”
“What religion does?”
“No religion, to the best of my
knowledge,” said Ashley. “Although, there are references to
druids calling down hailstorms of fire in mythology.”
“I want to learn to do things like
that,” I said.
“Well,” she said, “why don’t
you just start with what I’m going to teach you, and maybe you’ll
be satisfied with that.”
“All right,” I said. But I wanted
to learn how to make a fireball.
“First of all,” she said, “I
think I should give you an overview of what you can learn from me.”
“Okay.”
“First of all, you can study
meditation, then spell craft and divination, and somewhere in between
there, worship and religious rites like on the sabbats or esbats. I
can teach you how to prepare for a spell, how to perform it, and what
to do after a spell. I can do divinations by tarot cards, automatic
writing, psychometry and dream work. I can teach you all that, but
we probably won’t get to more than one form of divination before I
leave. There are many types of spells, but we’ll stick to the most
common structure. When you get home, I want you to get Making
Magick by Edain McCoy, all right?”
“Okay,” I said. “What will I
learn from it?”
“Pretty much what I’m going to
teach you. It will be a good overview.” She paused, but I didn’t
answer. “Okay,” she continued. “You want to get started?”
“Yeah!” I said. I was excited.
“Okay,” she said. “I’m going
to take you through the long version so you can get results, all
right?”
“Sure,” I said.
“I want you to tense the muscles in
your foot,” she began, and she led me through my entire body that
way, starting at the bottom and ending at my upper head. At each
body section or part, she had me tense my muscles while she counted
to five, then release them. When we had finished, I felt very
relaxed.
“Now I want you to visualize a pool
of water in a forest clearing. Above is a night sky, around the lake
is a forest, and in the little lake is a white glowing number ten.
You know that when it reaches zero, you will be completely relaxed,
in the deepest state of mind you can reach. Now see it counting
down. Ten. Nine.” She went through every number between ten and
zero. As she did, I visualized each number receding into the one
below it. At first I was just relaxed, but as she counted downward,
I wound up going deeper into myself. I felt at peace in a profound
way. My mind was clear and at ease, a welcome relief from the
stresses of a mental institution.
I took the moment before she continued
to indulge in the pleasure of being in an altered state.
“Okay,” she said. “I want you
to visualize a white light descending from above into you. It
spreads throughout your body, cleansing all impurities from your
energy body.”
I felt even better when I’d finished
with that. After that she ran through the technique behind guided
meditation- visualize one thing that represents another changing,
which represents the desired change in the student. She gave a few
more examples- visualizing white space that thoughts dissipate into
for clearing of the mind, which she had me do for a while;
visualizing a fire burning unnecessary emotions; visualizing a crop
field growing to represent the growing of an emotion within; et
cetera. She had me design one of my own; mine was the visualization
of a red energy ball soaking all my stress, anger and depression out
of me into it.
“You look handsome when you’re
meditating,” she said.
This startled me, and I opened my
eyes. Her voice was not the gentle one I could remember from a few
seconds ago, and I felt jarred. Looking around, I could see the
others taking peaks at us between glances at their work. Guy stared
shamelessly.
I could see love in his eye as he
stared at her. Somehow, Ashley seemed not to notice.
“I think you’ll do really well if
you keep at it,” she said, as though determined for me to answer.
“Thank you,” I said, and what I
saw in her eyes scared me. I did not want her to get attached to
me. I wanted her to love Guy because I loved Jessica. I would get
her to go out with Guy. That way I could still learn from her
everything I wanted to know without making her any closer to me
romantically. It was strange; I’d been in the mental institution
but a day, really half a day, and already I felt as though I had
known these new friends of mine for a lifetime. Their support, their
friendship, made the hellhole I was in bearable; further, it made it,
at times, enjoyable.
I only realized we’d been looking
into each other’s eyes too long for her not to take it in the exact
way I so did not want her to take it when Mrs. Joy said it was lunch
time.
I looked up to the door behind me, and
saw Roy standing there.
“Come on,” he said. “It’s
lunchtime, you scoundrels.”
Guy looked vexed at this, but everyone
else seemed to understand that this was not really anything personal-
it was just how Roy acted. I did wonder how someone with training in
counseling could possibly want to antagonize his patients. It was
confusing.
Chapter VI: Ashley in
Love
We stood and walked out the door and
down the hall, turning once at the end of the hall and again at the
patient reception desk. We passed through three double doors, and on
the way I noticed a door to a really big room that looked like a gym
as I passed it by. After the third double door, we turned right into
the dining hall. I realized then just how hungry I was, and I was
glad to be at lunch. I promised myself then that I would not get
kicked out of the lunchroom, and also that I would sort this thing
with Ashley, Guy and me out before lunch was over. It would take
some doing, but I could do it.
I found a
particularly good-looking series of sandwiches in the lunch line.
Each had meat, sauerkraut, lettuce and something that just looked
good. I got two of them, and sat down, my stomach grumbling. My
first bite painfully reminded me of what George had told me that
morning about the food. He was proven right, again. I was starving,
but I didn’t finish my two sandwiches. Instead I went back to the
lunch line and got two golden delicious apples and an orange.
Somehow, they were not as good as the ones I ate at home. That
wasn’t surprising; even at my high school, the fruit was never
quite as good as you could get from Harris Teeter- and the lunch
ladies at my high school could cook pretty well. But this was a good
step or two below mediocre inexpensive fruit. This was just bad.
The orange really wasn’t very juicy-
it was kind of doughy, actually- but the apple was clearly an apple.
I didn’t actually get full eating; I lost interest somewhere
between the initial mortally hungry and the final no longer starving.
I had been so hungry that I barely
realized Ashley and I were sitting alone together until I had quit
(not really finished) eating.
“You know Guy’s nuts about you,”
I said. I looked over to the other end of the table, where everyone
was sitting near the window, but no one was listening.
“I know,” she said.
“Why don’t you go out with him?”
“I don’t want to go out with him,”
she said.
“Why not? He’s got the heart of a
lion.”
“Josh, he’s… I’m scared of
him, Josh. He’s dangerous.”
“He’s not dangerous,” I said
dismissively.
“He is.” She had stopped eating,
and was now toying with her food. “He tried to kill my
x-boyfriend- and you heard what he said. What was it, ‘I wish I’d
killed him?’ ”
“He had a good reason.”
“Josh, there’s never a good reason
for violence. If you study Wicca very long, you’re going to have
to learn to live by the Rede yourself. As it harm none, do what you
will, Josh. Harm none.” She emphasized the last two words.
“Besides,” she said, poking at her sandwich, “I’m not really
interested in anyone right now.”
“Are you going to eat that?” I
asked her.
“Why, you want it?”
“No,” I said. “It’s just, you
didn’t eat anything.”
“Oh Lord,” she said. “You know
George used to say the same thing, but Roy nearly put him in quiet
time for giving pity parties. You’ve got to be careful what you
say in here, Josh.”
“So it would seem.”
“But Josh,” she said, “you do
understand, don’t you? I mean, if I were to go out with anyone, it
would be you.”
She looked up at me. I dropped the
orange back on my plate, which led to the realization that I’d been
playing with it. Her eyes were sincere, and I suddenly wanted to be
somewhere else. I loved Jessica, not Ashley.
Worse, I suddenly realized Guy was
listening in on us. I had to think for myself, here, though, and I
had to hurry because Ashley was waiting. I didn’t want to go out
with Ashley, but I didn’t want to hurt her feelings.
“Well?” she said.
She almost took me in with that.
She’d been fearless in bringing it up, and I admired her courage.
Most girls would never have risked that much. Neither would have
most guys. Nor would have I. I almost wanted to go out with her,
but I knew that then I’d have to break up with her when I was back
home and it would mean something that could come between me and
Jessica. So I’d made up my mind.
“I can’t, Ashley. Sorry. I’m
just not interested in you.”
She stood, looking pale, and quickly
walked over to where everyone else was eating without saying
anything. Oh, how I wished I was better with words!
“I’m gonna go sit with Josh so
he’s not all alone,” I heard Guy say from the window, and he
stood and came to sit on my right, toward the window.
“What are you thinking?” he said
to me. I looked into his earnest face. “She my world, and I’d
do anything to see her happy.”
“I’m just not attracted to her
like that,” I began.
“So lie, fool! You see how upset
she is? She hasn’t looked like that since she recovered.
Personally, you’re making a big mistake. Ask her out.”
Everyone at the window was standing.
“Anyone not done?” said Roy. He
paused as we all said no. “Good,” he said. “Then let’s go.”
“Please,” said Guy, and he stood.
He walked to the window for dishes and brought his tray there. I
followed him. As we filed out the door we’d come in, I stayed at
the back, near Ashley.
“Ashley,” I said. “I’m sorry.
You’re a nice girl, and I think I could give you a chance, if you
still want to go out.”
“Then will you go to prom with me,
when we get out?” she said.
“Yeah,” I said.
“You’re going to make a great
boyfriend,” she said, a bit too loud for my comfort. I was worried
Roy would hear, but he was busy talking to George. “Okay?”
“Sure,” I said.
She smiled at me and walked to the
front of the line, beaming again like usual. I was glad I had not
hurt her. It had gone well. She was feeling better. But all the
same, I did not want to go out with her. What could it hurt, though?
It would mean I couldn’t go to prom with Jessica. That probably
wouldn’t happen anyway.
It was still somewhat unfair to me
though. I loved Jessica. I wanted her. I belonged to her. I did
not love Ashley. I loved Jessica. I loved Jessica, and she… did
she still love me? I wasn’t sure at this point. Our last
conversation had made me question that. But there was only one way
to find out: I had to call her. Then, and only then, could I have
closure on my relationship with her, and only then could I know what
was the right choice for me to make. If she still loved me,
nothing, nothing could stop me from going to prom with her.
We wound up going back to the common
room for midday group, which was on role models. We talked about the
qualities we liked in people, who embodied these qualities the best,
and who our role models were. Guy’s role models, I’ll always
remember, were Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson, for their skill, as well
as Miyamato Musashi, the famous swordsman who once fought off
hundreds of others at once single-handedly. I had known this name,
and I wound up asking several questions about his past because he was
also my spirit guide.
Ashley’s role model was Edain McCoy,
whom I’d never heard of before- a Wiccan author of Wiccan books,
she said. She said Mrs. McCoy’s warm heart came across in her
writing in a way she could not explain. She also cited Buddha.
George said he didn’t have any role
models, but when he was threatened with quiet time, he thought of
some pretty fast. I wasn’t sure how honest he was being- I thought
the original answer fitted him more- but he said his dad because his
dad was strong and took charge.
“I thought you didn’t like your
dad,” said Roy.
George gave him a look that said “Take
it or leave it” and said, “I do look up to him, though.”
“You can do better. Come on.”
“I like Jesus and Buddha,” he
said, “because they are highly spiritual and can take anything that
comes their way.”
“Good,” said Roy. “Next?”
I was the only person left in group
besides him, and I had had plenty of time to come up with something.
While I’d been thinking, I’d considered all the people whom I’d
known over the years, but strangely, no one was as much in my heart
that day as the people right in front of me. So I said, “Mrs. Joy
and George.”
George’s head swiveled around.
“And why is that?” said Roy.
“Because Mrs. Joy is really nice and
everyone likes her, plus she seems like she cares about us. And
George for the same kind of thing: he’s been nice to me since I
woke up this morning, and he doesn’t seem too proud or
temperamental. I guess it’s because they’re both just nice
people.”
“Well said, Hammonds,” said Roy.
“Thank you,” whispered George.
“You have something to say, George?”
“Yes,” said George, louder. “I
wanted to thank Josh. He’s been a good friend to me.”
“Thank you,” I said.
“Both of you have been talking out
of turn,” said Roy. “Watch your behavior.”
We talked a little more, and then we
went to the classroom. I waited a while doing nothing but drawing
and writing poetry in an attempt to escape Ashley’s attention, then
got sidetracked on instructions in martial arts and magic from
Musashi. It must have been 45 minutes later or longer when I finally
brought up my question to Mrs. Joy.
“Mrs. Joy,” I said, “can I call
my x-girlfriend?”
“You’ll have to get the
counselor’s permission first,” she said.
“What do you want to call her for?”
burst out Ashley.
“Is something going on here?” said
Mrs. Joy.
“No, ma’am,” said Ashley.
“Ashley wants to go out with me,”
I said, “but I want to talk to my x-girlfriend before I do. Settle
a few things.”
“You’re not allowed to date in
here,” said Mrs. Joy. “Don’t try to.”
“Well, we can once we’re out,”
said Ashley.
“That’s true,” said Mrs. Joy.
“So when you’re out, you can then.”
“You can’t call your x while
you’re dating me! You trying to switch back or something, Josh?”
Ashley said. “Josh, you don’t call her, or no more lessons, and
no prom.”
That made me mad. I hadn’t wanted
to go out with her in the first place. I started to answer, but
before I could get a sound out, Mrs. Joy spoke up.
“Don’t you think that’s a little
harsh, Ashley?” said Mrs. Joy.
“You’re doing the same thing with
him you did with your last boyfriend, Ashley,” said George.
If I wasn’t honest with her now,
this could go on a long time. But I didn’t want to hurt Ashley’s
feelings.
“I know,” she said, “and I know
it’s a problem, but I can’t help it. I’m a love junkie.”
“I value your friendship, Ashley,”
I said, “and I don’t want to lose it.”
“Well,” she said.
“And I don’t want to give up our
lessons either,” I said. “I’ve learned so much.”
I had made up my mind. I was going to
be honest with her, and keep her as a friend. “Now listen.
“I really, really value your
friendship.” She was looking at me in horror now. “And I have a
lot of respect for you. But I’m in love with someone else,
Ashley.”
“How dare you!” she said.
“Ashley, listen to him,” said Mrs.
Joy.
“Guy thought I should go out with
you. He cares deeply about you. He’s the one you should go out
with, not me.”
“So you said yes because of him?”
“Yes.”
“Well it’s your choice, I guess.
I already told you my terms.” She didn’t look like it was
settled, though. She looked humiliated, angry. Guilt filled me, but
I continued.
“I want to stay friends,” I said.
“Josh, I can’t. I can’t. I
want it all or nothing at all. Maybe you’re not the one for me,
but I can’t keep talking to you if I can’t have you for my own.
I’m sorry, Josh. Maybe you’re just not the nice guy I thought
you were, but we can’t keep talking. It would probably be better
if we just didn’t talk to each other anymore.”
That hurt. I suddenly felt a lot of
regret and anxiety- and guilt. I did not want to lose her
friendship. I had to make up with her.
“I’m sorry, Ashley,” I said. “I
really like you as a friend, you’re a wonderful person, and I don’t
want to stop talking.”
“It’s okay,” she said. “It’s
not the end of the world.”
“I’m sorry, Ashley. You’re a
wonderful girl, and I don’t want you to feel bad, okay?”
The door opened in the middle of my
sentence, and Roy came in.
“Hey!” he said. “No pity
parties, got it?”
“She’s upset, though. I…”
“If you have a problem with it I can
separate you from the rest of the group and you can sit outside while
the rest of us play video games in the rec room. Your call, buddy.”
As we walked to the rec room, a little
room next to the dining hall, I felt seriously drained. I wanted to
help Ashley, but the counselors made it hard to do much of anything.
Besides which, I was tired of trying to please Ashley. Maybe she was
right. Maybe it was better if we just stopped talking. I was sick
of the whole thing anyway. I certainly wasn’t good for her. So
let it be like that. I would stop talking to her. I’d even avoid
her, as hard as that would be when there were only four of us.
The rec room was an array of tables
with tons of junk cast over them- knick knacks and art supplies:
some finger paint, a few paint pallets, tins of markers, crayons,
colored pencils and oil pastels, pieces of drawing paper, a few metal
objects I didn’t recognize, et cetera. In the front of the room
was a TV with a game system.
As I sat down at a table, Ashley sat
down across from me. She looked at me a second, then started.
“I’m sorry, Josh,” she said. “I
really lost it back there, and I’m sorry.”
I didn’t answer. I wanted to, but I
was irritated and I had no clue what to say.
“I was just being immature,” she
said. “I think you were right, I was wrong, and I’m sorry.”
“I thought you were right,” I
said.
“I’m sorry.”
There was a pause.
“Friends?” she said.
“Sure.”
She showed me how to draw, and we went
on to have a pleasant conversation.
Most of the time everyone else was
playing video games, but I could see Guy stealing hard glances at me.
Whatever it was he didn’t approve of, he seriously did not
approve. I found out forty five minutes later, an hour after we’d
entered the rec room, as we went into gym.
“I’m worried you’ll hurt Ashley
again,” he said.
We had turned left outside the rec
room, toward the dining hall. We had just reached one set of locked
double doors, when we turned into a little wood door dwarfed by the
room inside. Guy said his bit as we were passing into the gym.
“Come on,” he said, nodding his
head toward a corner.
I followed him.
The gym was a vast square room, with a
ceiling that must have been a hundred fifty feet off the floor.
There were huge plain glass windows halfway up the ceiling, spanning
several dozen feet. As I looked at them, I had the strong desire to
be outside.
There was a door outside at the corner
in the far end near the mental institution reception desk,
undoubtedly locked, and a basketball hoop to its left in the center
of the rear wall. There was a closet halfway along the right hand
wall which Guy and I were headed toward.
He stopped in the corner.
“I don’t want you hurting Ashley
again,” he said. “She’s sensitive, and she doesn’t need any
trouble.”
“I don’t think it will be a
problem,” I said. “I think we’ve sorted things through now.”
“You think?”
“Yeah.”
“You’d better know if you’re
going to keep talking to her. Don’t you know what she’s in here
for?”
“Yeah.”
“If she does that again because of
you, I will kill you.”
“I don’t think it will be a
problem.”
“Don’t keep talking to her, man.”
“I don’t think it will be a
problem,” I repeated.
“I do. Are you going to listen or
not?”
“I’m, I’m going to keep talking
to her,” I said.
“Avoid her.”
I looked him in the eye. “No.”
He looked behind him to make sure Roy
and John weren’t watching, then got close to my face and whispered,
“You take your pick. You stop talking to her, or I’ll beat you
to a bloody pulp. Your choice.”
He turned and started walking away.
I wondered if he’d be able to do
that. He was a martial artist, but then, it seemed like we could
barely go two feet without counselors watching our every step in
here. Regardless, I wasn’t scared of him. What could he do- kill
me, slice me up, flog me, maybe maim me? All but the first I had
already done to myself, and as for my own death, I had given it
plenty of serious thought over the last year. I wasn’t afraid to
die. I was at the point now where neither life nor death really
bothered me- I just knew I wanted out of here because there was
something about the place I could not stand. The very air I breathed
seemed to be a counselor screaming at me or taking me down or using
that calm voice that just exhumed the words, “I am in power, and
there’s nothing you can do about it.” Guy didn’t really bother
me, though. In a way, he reminded me of myself when I’d almost
committed suicide. He was desperate. Really desperate. And in that
moment suddenly the fear that was absent except in small degrees was
replaced wholly by pity and compassion. I didn’t want to get Guy
kicked out or sent to jail. He was just another face in the crowd of
the lost. He had had a rough time. He needed help.
I thought wryly about what the first
group had been on because that was exactly what I was going to do:
help Guy get rid of his baggage.
I reminded myself that even if he did
kill me, I’d only be with God, his angels and Musashi my new friend
from Heaven, and I strolled after Guy. Eventually he realized I was
walking after him, and he turned to stop and talk to me.
“What?” he said.
“I want to help you get out of
trouble.”
“That’s beyond your power.”
“I might be able to help.”
“How?”
“Why don’t we talk about it?” I
said. “You want to sit down?”
“No, I don’t want to sit down; if
you got something to say, then say it.”
“Well, it’s like, you have this
temper, and it gets you in all this trouble….”
“Boy, I can’t get in any more
trouble than I’m already in.”
“I bet you could,” I said.
“Yeah? How?”
“You could get two life sentences,”
I said.
He snorted. “Probably will.”
“Or you could get the death
penalty.”
“Can’t happen. I’m a minor.”
“Not now. But if you keep like
you’re going, your life will only get harder and…”
“Shut up! What are you, my shrink?”
“Is there a problem with you two?”
hollered Roy. “Split up, now, or you can both be out of here.”
“Yes, sir,” I said.
“Yeah, sure,” said Guy.
We looked at each other a moment. He
glanced at Roy, who must have had his back turned, and then made as
if to hit me. I didn’t flinch.
We parted. I could see him heading
toward the door as I turned to walk off. I was keenly aware of that
feeling one gets in a gym as I walked to the basketball hoop. When I
turned back around from the goal net, I could see him staring
outside.
I shot some baskets as I thought on
what had happened. It was frustrating. The guy would not accept
any help any time soon, that was clear. The idiot was even trying to
bully me for helping him. Why was I helping him again?
And somewhere there in the back of my
mind was that little voice: “He’s just like you. Help him.”
It was not like a being, but like some part of me.
“Should I keep helping him?” I
asked Musashi mentally.
“Yes,” said Musashi. “He’ll
come around. Ask him in evening group.”
“Thank you, Musashi,” I said to
him mentally. “Will his life improve?”
“No. But he’ll always be grateful
to you for trying.”
That warmed my heart, and decided my
mind. I would continue trying to help Guy. I would take it up in
evening group. Come to think of it, that made a lot of sense. There
would be counselors regulating our discussion there. He would have
to watch what he said and he’d be forced to consider my points.
Good idea, I thought. I thanked Musashi again.
I whiled away most of my time in gym
talking to George. George was a good conversationalist, and very
good at listening. I could tell he thought some of the things I said
were crazy, but he didn’t usually say so. I got a kick out of the
way he seemed to think my Musashi was a hallucination. It was funny,
for some reason, and also exciting. If only he knew.
After gym, we went to eat dinner. I
sat with George, and Ashley sat with Guy. Probably better that way;
I needed Guy to be calm when I talked to him, not dead set on killing
me.
In group, which was in the common
room, George held the clipboard and recorded how we felt on a scale
of one to ten. Amy, John and Roy were all there.
“I’m a ten,” said Amy.
“Be honest,” said Roy, half
jokingly.
“I am,” said Amy. “I feel
great. I’m going on a date tonight. Going out to Ruby Tuesday’s.”
“Well I guess you would be a ten
then,” said Roy.
“Who’s holding the clipboard?”
said George.
“All right, I’ll shut up,” said
Roy good naturedly.
Next was George himself, beside me,
and he said, “I’m a seven.”
“I’m a three,” I said. I was
worried about Guy, and I didn’t want to be here.
Guy was next. “One,” he said.
“Make sure you check in with a
counselor before you leave,” said George.
The counselors burst out laughing.
“You’re a natural, George,” said
Amy.
It was as though they were so used to
hearing about such severe problems that hearing someone so down did
not even bother them anymore. I could see the care in the way Amy
eyed Guy, but she didn’t seem all that worried. It was the same
with the other two. I wished Mom and Dad had been that way with me
when they’d found out. I didn’t want them to go through all
this. It was my fight, and the further I got, the surer I was I had
to fight it alone. No one could win it for me. It was something I
had to do.
John was a nine, and so was Roy.
Ashley was a five.
“Hand me the clipboard?” said Amy.
George handed it to her, and she said,
“The focus of tonight’s evening group is loss. We’ve all felt
loss, and we’ve all had a hard time at some point in our lives.
Raise your hands if you’ve ever felt loss. Everyone? Good.
That’s honest. Now tonight’s group will also focus on stress.
How many of you have ever stressed out before? Guy, you’ve never
stressed out?”
“Nope.”
“Why not?”
Guy shrugged. “I don’t know.”
“Okay,” said Amy. “Who would
like to share an experience about stress or loss?”
Ashley raised her hand.
Amy pointed at her. “Yes, Ashley?”
“I felt stressed today, and I felt
loss.”
“Why?”
“Because I screwed up big time with
Josh. I guess I made some assumptions, and I kind of told him off.
But I think we’re back to an understanding now, so it’s okay.”
When she looked up, her face was her usual smile again.
Amy turned to me. “What do you
think about this?”
“I think we’re back to an
understanding, too,” I said.
“Have you felt any loss or stress
today?” said Amy to me.
“Yes,” I said. “I felt stressed
about Ashley, but I also felt stressed about Guy.” Perfect time, I
thought. My heart was thudding. Suddenly I knew that Amy wasn’t
going to support me. I don’t know how I knew, I just knew. “Guy
tries to help people, but he helps them in all the wrong ways. I
respect him, especially how he looks after Ashley- but he goes about
it in all the wrong ways. He needs to learn appropriate conduct.”
“Josh,” said Amy, “everyone is
here for needing to learn appropriate conduct, and not knowing how to
function properly in society.”
Guy raised his hand, and Amy pointed
to it. My heart gave a little kick in the instant before he spoke.
I prayed that he would be kind in return.
“You want us to make you friends?”
said Musashi in the back of my mind.
“Yes,” I thought.
“You will be soon,” he replied.
“I can’t make him be a close friend, but I can put you two on
good terms. I promise.”
All this nearly instantaneously; it
was like a thought in the back of my head that seemed to come from
somewhere else in a ball of thought, all at once. Then Guy spoke.
“Josh...” he began. “Look, I’m
sorry man. I know I was wrong. I tried to control him, to get him
to go out with Ashley and then to get him to stay away from her when
he had hurt her feelings. I had no right to do that. Friends?”
I smiled. “Friends,” I said.
And the hellhole in which dark flames
burned was suddenly lit by a candle of sacred light. I had helped
someone. Suddenly things were brighter.
“Guy, if you did all that, trying to
control him,” said Ashley- “I mean, being a bully like I know you
must have been- you need to take a chill pill. I am scared of you.
Chill out.”
I raised my hand, and Roy called on
me. Amy shot him a faked dirty look with an irrepressible smile.
The person with the clipboard was responsible for running group.
“Could you help him with that,
Ashley?” I asked.
“Yeah, I guess- but only if he stops
being volatile because of me.”
“Can you promise to do that, Guy?”
I asked.
Amy was staring at me.
“I can promise I’ll try,” said
Guy.
“Not good enough,” said Ashley.
“No talking out of turn,” hissed
Amy. “And Josh, you’ve got the makings of a counselor someday.”
We all laughed.
“Amy’s got a favorite,” teased
Roy.
“Hush,” said Amy.
And for a moment, a woman whom I
barely knew had made my world easier. I felt really good for the
first time all day. In a place where pure Hell knew no rest, for a
moment I could bask in the sun of the heavens.
Guy raised his hand.
“Yes, Guy,” said John.
“I can’t promise I’ll never be
violent again. I can only promise I’ll try.”
“You are in control of your own
actions,” said Ashley.
“Don’t talk out of turn, Ashley,”
said Amy. “I don’t want to have to send you out of group.”
“I’m sorry,” said Ashley.
Roy made a correcting sound in his
throat, and Ashley covered her mouth up, laughing. She seemed to be
in a better mood now- back to her carefree self.
Guy raised his hand. John called on
him.
“You’re right, Ashley,” he said.
“I promise.”
“Thank you,” said Ashley.
“Go sit outside group,” said John.
Ashley started to say something, but
John cut her off. “Now.”
She got up and went outside group to
sit in the chair outside the common room.
“Could she come back for two minutes
to finish the discussion and then go sit outside group?” said Amy.
“If you want,” said John.
“Ashley, come back,” called Amy.
Ashley came back inside and sat down
where she’d been sitting.
“If she talks out of turn again,
though, she won’t stay,” said John.
“I won’t,” said Ashley.
“What are you doing now?”
Ashley didn’t answer.
“That’s better. Now, Amy, you
were saying?”
I put my hand up.
“Yes, Josh?” said Amy.
“Ashley, could you help Guy try to
learn to cool down?”
Ashley looked at John with an
uncertain look.
A few seconds later Amy started
laughing, bending over, in a funny sort of way, and we all burst out
laughing.
“I’m sorry,” said Amy. “Go
ahead, Ashley.”
“Well,” said Ashley, “I think I
could, yes, but I don’t know how- I guess I’ll just try when I
can.”
“Thank you, Ashley,” said Amy,
“that’s very nice of you.”
Guy raised his hand, and Roy called on
him. Amy wiggled the clipboard toward Roy, and we all laughed again.
“I’m not worth it,” Guy said.
“Ashley, I’m screwed over, and there’s nothing you can do.
Don’t bother. I’m really not worth it.”
Ashley raised her hand, gave another
look that would have left a wake of laughter had it not been for what
Guy had just said, and spoke when John called on her.
“I care about you, Guy. I want to
help you.”
“What do you have to say to that,
Guy?” said Amy.
“My medicine makes me emotionally
less stable,” he said. “Because of that, I might be able to get
insanity. But I’m switching medicine, and things could get worse.
I want you to all pardon me if I go crazy, because I’m going to be
experimenting with my medicine, and it’s likely to get worse. So
if it does, please, will you recognize that it’s not the real me?”
He sounded bordering on scared now.
“I promise,” said Ashley.
“Go sit outside group,” said Roy.
“But…”
“No second guessing,” said John.
“Go.”
Ashley got up and left.
Amy looked like she didn’t like it,
but she didn’t say anything.
“Can we promise?” she said after a
pause.
“Yes, ma’am,” we all said in
chorus.
Roy grinned at John, though I didn’t
know why. He winked at him, and I heard him whisper Amy’s name. I
wondered what they were about.
During the rest of group, it settled
in that I was darn glad I was not on medicine. I did not want to
wind up like Guy. I’d make sure my parents weren’t going to put
me on medicine after group. They were coming today, I was pretty
sure of that. And it felt good.
After group I went to my room. It was
the first moment I’d had to myself all day. I felt trapped,
staring out the window. I wanted to be out there- outside. It
seemed a whole world away, inaccessible. It was hard to imagine I’d
ever be out there again, and yet I yearned for it so much.
I wanted to get my parents to take me
home. I liked the people here, and I would miss them, but not like I
missed being able to go where I wanted to go when I wanted to go.
Chapter VII: Medication
I can remember dreading and
anticipating my parents’ arrival at once. I ached to see them, to
have confirmation that this was not the only world that existed, as
it seemed. The high I got off of helping Guy faded rapidly as group
ended. I waited painfully, mostly because I was reminded of my
parents and had the unquenchable hope that they might take me home,
as well as anxiety that they might put me on medication.
I was actually heading back to my room
when I saw them. It seemed like ages since I’d left them; I’d
never missed them more. As they walked toward me, Mom with a smile,
there was a spring of hope in my heart.
“How are you doing?” Mom asked me
with one of those painful smiles mothers give their children when
they’re in mental institutions or are in some other great distress.
“Mom,” I said, “can you take me
home?”
We were walking back into the common
room.
“I’m sorry,” she said. Her lips
were a smile; her eyes were pain. “The doctor doesn’t think it’s
a good idea. He thinks you need to stay a little longer.”
We walked into the common room and sat
at a table as I said, “Mom, one of the counselors here thinks I
need to stay a lot longer.”
I knew then, in a way that I could not
explain, that something bad was going to happen tonight. It scared
me, and for whatever reason I could not doubt it. I wondered what
was happening to me. I didn’t know how I knew; I just knew I did
not doubt it, even though logically I could question how I had come
this conclusion.
And I knew also that it would carry
over into the next day. I suddenly knew it regarded medicine, and
that got me on that track.
“Mom,” I said, “I’m not going
on medicine, am I?”
“I’m sorry, Josh,” she said.
“The psychiatrist thinks you should.”
“No,” I breathed. “Please, take
me home. Don’t leave me here!” I was desperate. I understood a
message from God, and I said, “God doesn’t think I’m crazy, you
shouldn’t either. He just told me I should go home.”
“You’re sick,” she said, her
eyes full of pain, and she reached across the table to grab my hand.
How could she say that? Sick? I
wasn’t sick. I was perfectly healthy. Earlier this would have
humored me, but I suddenly was back to hating this place. “I can’t
stand staying here,” I said. “I can’t stand going on medicine.
Please, this guy here says his medicine made him go crazy. I’m
not taking anything that will screw with my head.”
“It won’t screw with your head,”
said Dad. “It’s going to help you.”
“I don’t need help!” I said, my
voice cracking. I felt like I could cry. “I’m fine. Please,
take me home.”
“We can’t,” said Mom, and I can
still hear the sorrow in her voice in the back of my mind to this day
when I remember.
“Look, Josh,” said Dad. “You
have to take your medicine. This really isn’t a good way to spend
our time together.”
“Please,” I begged. “I might
convince you. I can’t go on medicine. I don’t even know what
all it might do to me. I don’t want anything that’s going to
fuck with my head.”
“Watch your mouth,” said Mom, but
her voice was not so stern as it had been in the past when she had
reprimanded me for swearing. “I’m so sorry.”
“Then don’t put me on it if you’re
so sorry,” I said. “Please. You can’t do this to me.”
“We have to, Josh,” said Dad.
“And again, this really isn’t a good way to spend our time
together.”
“I won’t take them,” I said. “I
won’t take them, I won’t.”
“If you don’t take your meds,
you’ll be forced to.”
“So I don’t even get any say-so in
the matter?”
“No, Josh,” said Mom. “We’re
sorry.”
“But you had to give permission to
them for me to go on meds,” I said. “And you said I wouldn’t
have to.”
“I’m sorry, Josh,” said Mom.
“You have to take your meds.”
“What about my say?” I said.
“It’s my choice what goes in my body, God damn it. It’s my
body, not yours, I should get to decide what goes in it.”
Mom started crying.
Dad hugged her to him and said, “Josh,
this is hard on your mother….”
“What the hell do you think it’s
like for me?” I asked.
“Josh, I’m sorry,” said Mom. “I
know how you feel. I know I betrayed your trust. I’m sorry.”
I wasn’t really mad at her. I was
just scared of going on medicine. “Please,” I said. “Take me
out of here. Let’s go home. Then we can talk about it more. Mom,
don’t cry.”
“I’m sorry,” said Dad, standing,
Mom still in his arms. “We’ve got to go.” He pulled her away
from him, drying her eyes with his fingers. Then he gave me one last
look, whispered, “Take your medicine, Josh,” and walked away with
Mom.
“No!” I screamed. “Don’t
leave me here!”
“Josh!” called John from a table.
“Watch what you say. You keep that up, you’ll go to quiet time.”
I went to my room, but I didn’t open
the door to go inside till Mom and Dad had turned the corner and were
out of sight.
Inside, I paced back and forth,
thoughts racing, trying to work out a plan. I couldn’t let them do
this to me. I’d fight. By God I would. I would not let them do
this to me. It would literally be over my dead body. I wasn’t
crazy.
I swore under my breath.
I was so afraid to take my meds
because I might go crazy or be unable to function. I didn’t want
to become a zombie. I didn’t want to lose the control of my mind.
I didn’t want to have my mind altered by drugs. I was scared of
things that affected my mind. Of all the things in the world, losing
my mind was what I feared most. More than staying here, I feared
that.
Clearly I could not let that happen.
And truth be told, I did not know half
of what could happen. I only knew half of it. Who knew what all
could happen? I had grown up listening to medication ads with the
long lists of side effects: diabetes, weight gain, heart trauma and
such. That was not going to happen to me.
They were forcing me into it; as a
compromise, they could have let it be my choice, and I could have
decided.
But in my heart I knew that would not
have been enough. I could not do this. I must not fail. I must
escape. I must get free.
I opened my door, and walked out of my
room. I stood in the hallway a minute, heart racing. I looked both
ways. Two counselors in the common room; three nurses behind the
reception desk. I’d have to be quick if I did it.
I started walking.
“Hey!” someone called after me.
I started running.
From behind the nurse’s desk someone
pressed a button and someone else headed me off.
I stood there a moment, breathing
fierce rage through my every cell.
“I’m not going on medicine,” I
said.
The nurse in front of me, a muscular,
middle aged male shorter than me, said, “Take it up with the
psychiatrist. If you go any further, I’m putting you in isolation
or prison.”
“He’s a kid, Brian,” said the
woman behind the counter who had pressed the button.
“Quiet time, then,” he said.
I was caught between the desire to
sock him in the face, the desire to scream, and the desire to cry. I
started walking around him.
He scooted around to head me off, and
put his arms out, grabbing me.
“Stop!” I screamed.
I struggled free, shoved him, turned
and ran back the way I had come. Desperation was running through me.
How could I get out? How could I not go on meds?
A cart was rolling down the hallway
toward the common room.
“Medicine,” called out a little
black woman dressed in scrubs.
The man who had cut me off was
trailing after me slowly.
The little black woman eyed me as she
offered a little cup. “Are you taking it?”
“No,” I said.
“Okay.” She
“You mean it’s my choice?”
She was eyeing me carefully. “M-hmm.”
I thought a minute. They had made it
my choice.
Then I saw the man who had headed me
off whispering to another nurse.
“What’s going on?” I said.
“Are you taking your meds or aren’t
you?” called John.
“No,” I said.
At that the male nurse from the
hallway looked at me sharply.
I saw John get up and walk down the
hallway, passing behind my vision.
Roy walked over toward me.
Guy, Ashley and George crowded around
the cart. Each in turn, they took their medicine. The nurse checked
each name off on a clipboard, handing each a little paper cup with
the meds in it and a larger but still small plastic cup with water.
“Take your meds, man,” said
George.
I was in a quandary. What should I
do?
I realized two things at once: one,
there were a group of nurses heading toward us with needles, and two,
George was looking at me with a look of fear in his eyes.
“What’s wrong?” I asked him.
He pointed. “That.”
There was a pause as I looked, then I
looked back into his face, the most rigid I had seen it all day, as
he said, “You don’t want those guys to get a hold of you.
There’s nothing you can do. Take your meds.”
I turned toward the nurses walking
toward us.
“You aren’t going to fucking put
me on that fucking shit,” I shouted. “Get the fuck away from me!
Get the fuck away from me!”
They were jogging toward me now.
Another ten seconds and they’d be on me. I put up my fists and
backed away from the cart. The black lady took the cart back the way
it had come.
Suddenly someone grabbed me form
behind. I screamed, twisting, trying desperately to get free.
Looking down at his arms around my belly, I could tell it was Roy.
“Fuck you!” I shouted in a drawn
out voice.
He threw me on the ground, and as I
tried to get up someone pinned me on my chest. There was pain in my
arm. Someone pulled down my pants, and then there was a needle
there. This time I didn’t relax. I screamed.
“It’s my body! Fuckers! It’s
my body! You’re all going to Hell! God won’t let you get away
with this!”
Then one of them took it out, and
said, “If you take the rest of your meds, we’ll let you go.”
I was panting now, because the pain
was gone. Looking up, on my elbows, I could see the crowd of
counselors gathered around me. My mind was getting numb. I was
tired. My chest felt like it had been ripped open. My head hurt,
and so did my waist and knees, which had taken a bit of a beating in
the fall.
I stood. “Fine,” I said.
One of the female nurses produced the
cup with medicine and the cup with water.
“What’s in here?” I asked,
taking the medicine cup.
“Respiradol is the circular pill.
The pink one’s paxil. The big pill is depakote.”
“What are they for?”
“To help your mood and your
depression. The respiradol is for psychosis.”
“What’s that?”
“Mental illness,” she said. “You
ready to take it now?”
“Yes ma’am,” I said.
She handed me the water. With great
revulsion, my heart racing, I took the Respiradol and put it in my
mouth. I took a sip of water. It wouldn’t go down. I tried to
swallow again. It still wouldn’t go down. I wasn’t sure I
wanted it to.
“I can’t swallow it,” I said.
“Take your time,” said John,
somewhere behind me.
“Are you going to be okay- can we
leave now?” said the nurse who had given me my medication. Some of
the nurses laughed.
“Yeah,” I said.
Some of them started walking away.
Part of me wanted to split- jump out a
window or something- but I didn’t even want to think about what
would happen if I failed then, and I didn’t want to betray their
trust either. But hell, why not? They had violated me.
It took two more tries to get that
pill down. The paxil was much easier, but it still took me two
tries. Depakote took the rest of the cup of water, and it still
wasn’t down. John called a nurse to cut it in half. Roy went back
into the common room somewhere in between.
The Depakote hurt on its way down. It
felt funny. When I took the second half, I decided that tomorrow I
would not for the life of me cut the pill in half. I would find some
way to get it down.
“You’ll get used to it,” said
John.
The only remaining nurse had me open
my mouth. I opened it.
She looked around, swiveling her head
back and forth.
“Move your tongue,” she said.
I did.
“Good.” She stood back up
straight. “Now that wasn’t so bad, was it?”
“What happens now?” I asked. I
had no desire to be civil with a woman who could care so little for
how I felt. I realize now I may have been a little off on that
assumption; but the basis of it I still find true: she did not care
what I wanted. It was about what they thought had to be done.
“You start feeling better,” she
said.
“You mean I’ll like it here?”
“Yeah. You might.”
“Bull,” I said.
“Watch your tone, Hammonds,” said
John. “You keep that up and I’ll put you in quiet time, and I
don’t care what kind of crazy antics you pull.”
I wanted to cuss him out, but I went
back to the common room and put my head in my hands.
“Are you all right?” said Ashley’s
voice, drawing nearer.
“No pity parties,” said Roy.
“He’ll be fine.”
“I need someone to talk to,” I
muttered.
“What’s that?” said Roy.
“I said I need someone to talk to,”
I said as loudly as I could.
“You want to talk to a counselor in
an office?”
“No.” More like, Hell no.
“All right. But that’s what we’re
here for.”
When I thought about it, talking to
Amy wouldn’t be so bad. But I had a headache, and I was tired, and
wanted to go to sleep. I felt so drained.
I stood.
Ashley squeezed my hand, and I looked
into her eyes so hard I jumped when I heard Roy call out: “No
touching!”
He walked over and stood in front of
us. “Ashley, come with me.”
“I’m sorry!” she said. “I
won’t do it again, all right?”
Roy looked hesitant a moment, then
shook his head. “No. You touched him. We’re very strict on
that here. You know that.”
“Amy, help me,” said Ashley.
“He’s right, Ashley. It’s an
important rule. It has to be kept. I’m sorry.”
Her voice came through to me as though
through a fog. I felt like I was going to fall asleep on my feet. I
realized for the first time that Ashley was not holding onto my hand
anymore.
I was dimly aware of Ashley being
walked to the quiet time room as I stumbled to my door. I opened it
and went inside.
I collapsed on my bed and fell asleep
with the light on.
Chapter VIII: Visions of
Two Types
I woke up the next morning with a huge
headache. I was barely conscious at all. I stumbled out of bed and
half slept through breakfast, after which I stayed in a constant
state of half-sleep.
I could sense God telling me in the
back of my mind that things would be okay. I knew inside me this
would be over tomorrow, though I couldn’t say how. I also felt as
though something wasn’t right about God, but I didn’t know what.
I saw His face plastered to a car
passing by at breakfast. I don’t know how I knew it was God’s
face, especially because I knew I was hallucinating, but it clearly
was. Something about it.
The few times I’d hallucinated in
the past, I had freaked out. Now, however, it was simply something
that was happening. I was too dead inside, too wasted, to care about
what was happening around me or in my head. I felt like a zombie.
No emotions either.
I realized at breakfast that I had
taken my meds without even questioning the people giving them to me.
I hadn’t even cared. I had stumbled to the cart and taken them,
then stumbled to breakfast. It didn’t even bother me.
I didn’t care, for once, that Ashley
had a crush on me, or that Guy had tried to intimidate me, or that
these events were over, or that the counselors were bordering on
being jerks. The fact that I was where I was did not bother me,
either. In a hazy kind of way, nothing mattered. I didn’t care.
I just had the strong desire to fall asleep.
Walking back from breakfast to morning
group, I saw an angel, and two minutes later I saw Mom. She seemed
to remind me of something, but it was hard to say what.
In group I could barely stay awake.
Roy threatened to put me in quiet time, so I kept my head up. Then
he threatened to put me in quiet time again because, as I realized,
my head had fallen back into my lap and I had fallen back asleep. I
was dimly sure, however, that he wasn’t really going to put me in
quiet time. I think he understood that it was the medicine, and
that therefore there was nothing I could do about it.
Mrs. Joy was very sympathetic in
class. She asked me if she could do anything for me, but I told her
I was just so tired, so she let me sleep. That felt really, really
good. There’s something about sleeping when you’re exhausted and
about getting to sleep when you wouldn’t normally that makes sleep
so much more pleasurable.
I woke up what seemed like five
minutes later to see Mrs. Joy at the chalkboard scratching her nails
on it without noise, her face an expression of intense anger. A few
seconds later she disappeared. Though I hadn’t known it was a
hallucination, I still hadn’t freaked out. In the dim recesses of
my mind I found this somewhat odd. I started to put my head back
down to sleep, when I heard Roy telling me it was time for lunch. At
first I thought it was a hallucination- it was dim, after all- but
then I realized after the third or fourth time he called my name that
I didn’t hear things, so I got up and walked after him. The rest
of the group was waiting for me. It struck me as odd that there was
someone there I didn’t know, someone who looked younger than
myself, but I was too out of it to question why.
He had long black hair, glasses and a
robust figure. I noticed he was eyeing me critically, but I couldn’t
have cared less.
I followed them to lunch and put my
head down. I barely even remember what happened. Truth be told, I
really don’t remember lunch. I just remember leaving, and then
things get foggy again. There’s a flash of a memory, enough to
remind me that midday group was next, and that I was still very out
of it.
Mrs. Joy let me sleep again. Towards
the end of class she had me do jumping jacks to wake up, but that
only helped temporarily. Still, for the brief time that I could
think, I could recognize that there were now two new teenagers in our
group, and I could also recognize that I was not hallucinating again.
Throughout the day, it was like I
hallucinated every five minutes. Probably isn’t that far off.
I slept more in the recreation room.
No one objected.
At Gym, we were supposed to be working
together in volleyball- a group sport kind of thing. I kept missing
the ball- in fact I distinctly remember that it hit me in the face
several times. I also could barely stand up. To my surprise, Roy
told me to go sit down and come back when I was ready. That was so
awesome.
For a minute, I liked him.
The instant I sat down I was asleep.
I was not aware of the passing of time at all. Someone woke me up,
and I saw a halo around his head and light shining down on him, which
made it hard to see who it was. I got up and muttered, “Jesus
shines on us, dear friend.” I stumbled after him. His laughter
came as though through a tunnel. The light faded. I recognized him
as Roy.
I was hungry when I got to dinner. I
don’t remember what I ate, but I know I ate a lot, and I know I
conked out immediately afterward.
Evening group was much the same as the
last two had been as far as my behavior and interaction went.
However, it was a goal-oriented group, not a free discussion like the
last two had been, and I had something to fill out. I remember how
bad my handwriting was. I barely scribbled anything down, and I
remember John threatening to send me outside group if I couldn’t do
better. But I didn’t care. I don’t even remember what I said.
At any rate, neither Roy nor Amy
seemed to think they should be hard on me, because of which I stayed
in group. I’m still not sure whether John really would have sent
me out of group or not. I was too dead then, my memory of that day
too dead now, for me to make an honest assessment.
I also know, however, that we
introduced ourselves again in the evening. I don’t remember what
anyone else said; I barely remember what I said. I just remember we
did it, and that I was talking to Musashi a lot more than usual.
When my parents came to see me again
that night, I told them I could not possibly stay on this medicine.
They said it would be changed. I remember they looked very
sympathetic, and told me I looked bad.
It was strange. The day before, this
would have been a very special time, a time to beg to leave- that is,
it had been. Now it was refreshing to see them, but mostly I just
wanted to go to sleep.
They left me early so I could go to
bed.
I conked out again as soon as I hit
the mattress.
I woke up a few minutes later to take
my meds. Now I was on zyprexa.
As I went back to sleep, there was an
extreme roaring in my ears.
I found myself outside the mental
institution, fully aware that I was dreaming. Only, it wasn’t like
a dream. It was vivid- so vivid. I was on a high in which
everything was okay, and, best of all, my head had cleared up. Then
I realized I was levitating above the ground.
What the heck? I thought. It felt so
real. I was so aware- so much more aware not only than when I’d
been drugged over, but even so much more aware than I’d felt in my
whole life. There was intense joy running through me.
I soared over the building. I noticed
that there was a fence around the edge of the top of the building-
not the very edge, but about ten feet back from where anyone could
jump off of. Pretty high, too.
I felt so free. I soared through the
top of the building, and I found that I could pass through the
ceiling with no major resistance. It felt exhilarating to fly
through it. I skimmed along the inside of the roof, head bobbing up
to see a clear blue sky and down to see pipes and dust.
The pipes and dust weren’t pleasing,
so I flew past the edge of the building and into the ground, then
through the ground. Freedom surged through me. Dirt passed me by.
I was on a high. Everything was bright and beautiful.
I soared upward, realizing suddenly
that there was no sound. It registered dimly in my mind. Everything
was intensely alive.
A thought came in the back of my head,
and I looked up to see a woman in a swaying, white silk gown. I
looked to the street. The word she had said was, “Proof.”
I could see people passing by out on
the street. As I flew by them, one of them pointed at the building,
toward the window to the cafeteria, and laughed. I flew inside the
building, and saw myself eating there.
I could see the woman in the flowing
silk gown. For a moment I nearly woke up. I could feel the dream
fading, but then I looked at her, and was absorbed in her beauty.
She floated over to me, aware of me while everyone at the table just
kept on doing what they were doing.
“Welcome to my realm, Child of the
Goddess.” She was without voice; it came as a thought in my mind,
only a ball of thought.
Suddenly I recognized her for who she
was: the Pagan Goddess.
I woke up with the shock of this,
while it was still dark outside, feeling very focused and alert. I
did not fall asleep again until the knock for breakfast came on my
door.
Was I supposed to become Pagan?
And WHAT THE HELL?
Chapter IX: Clarification
and Farewell
It was Saturday. Ordinarily that would
have meant going out with friends, doing some stuff on my own, and no
school. This last was true of the mental institution as well, but it
wasn’t like taking a break. Still, that day was easier on me than
the ones before. My hatred of the place had cooled some, and I woke
feeling refreshed, if also disturbed by the dream.
I guess at that point it was the dream
that bothered me most. I tried to get the courage to bring it up to
the people around me at breakfast, even at morning group, but I
couldn’t do it.
In morning group, I found out that
yes, while I was drugged over, new people had joined our community.
Two of them, as a matter of fact: Allen Thomas and Charles McKelven.
Charles was obviously depressed- worse
off than I’d been. I could also learn something from him. His
life really wasn’t that bad. His depression hinged around the idea
that he wasn’t making it as a writer- but come on! He was
seventeen! I wondered if maybe I was like that- looking for the
worst in everything, forcing myself into depression with a volatile
subconscious drive to find fault with myself. I knew it was true,
listening to him. So much of him mirrored me. But at the same time,
why would I want to do that? I certainly didn’t consciously want
to be miserable. Lord knows, I wanted more than anything else to be
happy again.
That’s when it occurred to me that I
wasn’t depressed anymore.
Sweet.
Charles had used a gun to shoot
himself in the head.
“I’m so pathetic,” he said.
“I’m such a fucking failure….”
“Watch your mouth,” said Roy. “If
you swear too many times, I’ll put you in quiet time, all right?”
Charles nodded.
“Okay. What were you saying?”
“Just that I’m so pathetic! I
mean, I shot myself in the head- and somehow, somehow I’m still
here.”
Guy laughed, and John sent him outside
group.
Charles went on. “He’s right. It
is funny. And I hate it, cause everyone says suicide’s just for
attention, but I wanted to die, I wanted to die, God damn it, why is
life so hard?”
“It’ll get better,” I said.
“Raise your hand next time, Josh.”
John’s face was blank, as usual. “But good input.”
I raised my hand.
John called on me.
“Charles.” I couldn’t believe
the pain in his face as our eyes met. “You’re way too hard on
yourself. You seem like a nice guy, and I’m sure you’re not as
bad as you say you are. You can’t expect to get your short stories
accepted this early on. I know it’s hard, but it’ll get better.
I’m sorry you have to feel so bad. You shouldn’t.”
I realized John and Roy were looking
at each other. John nodded to Roy, and Roy turned to me and said,
“We don’t throw pity parties here, Josh.”
Charles’ body, as I can best
describe it, stopped, and I didn’t realize until later that he was
crying.
The best part of the morning was when
instead of going to class, we went to gym. Almost midway through
what would have been the school day, at 11:45, we went to the rec
room. I played video games and got in a conversation with Charles
and George. I could tell that George wanted to look out for Charles
the same way he’d looked out for me, in that same subtle, friendly
way.
Charles and I were becoming fast
friends, although our relationship hinged more around my comforting
him discreetly and testing the borders of John’s and Roy’s
patience than actual intellectual conversation.
At lunch, I was eating with George
across from me, Roy to my left, and Ashley to my right. Everyone
else was at the other end of the table; we were sitting by the
window.
I looked outside, at the people
passing by. I wanted to be there- outside, free. I wanted to be
normal.
I also wanted to help Charles. I was
doing better. Charles needed help. I wondered if it was the
medicine that had helped me- or was it the fire of this place
transforming me? Was this place actually, in the end, good for me?
I was pondering, when I realized
someone was pointing at the building through the window. I saw her
point toward us, and I got an eerie feeling, though I couldn’t say
why. She laughed- I couldn’t hear her, but I could see it.
I jerked backward in my seat suddenly,
breathing hard.
“You got a problem, Hammonds?”
said Roy.
“No sir,” I said, and got back to
my meal.
Those around me burst out laughing.
“What was that?” said George.
“I… don’t worry about it,” I
said.
“Man,” said George more seriously.
“I thought you like saw something terrible out there. Are you all
right?”
“Yeah,” I breathed. “I’ll be
all right.”
“Okay,” said George in a voice
that said I could talk to him later if I wanted to.
I was freaking out.
I didn’t eat the rest of my meal. I
just sat there in shocked silence.
What I had seen was exactly what I’d
seen in my dream. Why? How? I didn’t understand. How could I
dream something that was true?
I decided right then that I wanted to
find the answers. I was going to know; end of story. And I wasn’t
going to quit searching till I did.
However, I really wasn’t sure of
where to turn.
“You are right,” came the voice of
the Goddess in my mind. “What you saw was real.”
I got up and nearly started pacing
before I realized how problematic this would be and sat back down.
“You ready to go, Hammonds?”
Roy’s voice made me jump.
“Yes sir.” I did my best to sound
calm.
“Anyone object?”
A chorus of nos.
“Then let’s go to midday group,
people!” said Roy, and we all got up to dump our trays.
We walked to midday group in the
common room. John left to be replaced by another counselor whom I
didn’t know, but who introduced herself as Eliza. She, Amy and Roy
ran group. Our subject for that group was “the difference between
right and wrong and how I differentiate.”
“So let’s start with Allen,”
said Amy. “Allen, how do you differentiate between right and
wrong?”
Allen was the new guy that I hadn’t
spoken to yet. He was fairly tall, with long black hair and round
glasses. When he spoke his face changed subtly, and I could swear
his robust body swelled outward some.
“I follow the Rede: Harm none. If
it harms someone, it’s wrong. If it doesn’t, it’s either a
gray area or good. But I don’t believe in shoving this philosophy
on someone else; I can’t make someone else believe as I do, anymore
than they can make me think I should follow the Bible.”
“What religion do you follow?”
asked George.
“I’m a witch,” said Allen. “I
follow the practice of witchcraft.”
“You mean devil-worshipping?” said
Eliza.
“No,” said Allen. “That’s one
of the things I’m trying to defeat with my life- this nonsense that
we worship the Devil. If anyone would just ask us what we worship,
or read one of our books, they’d notice that there is no reference
to the Devil in our faith.”
“Thank you for sharing,” said
Eliza. “Wait… if you don’t mind my asking, what do you
worship?”
“The God and Goddess, otherwise
called the Lord and Lady,” said Allen.
“Oh my God!” I said suddenly.
“Do you have something to share?”
said Eliza.
“Yes ma’am,” I said.
“Then raise your hand.”
I did.
“Josh?”
“I had a dream last night,” I said
quickly. The idea was not to leave myself a way out. I paused, the
phobia of openness surging through me- but I put it behind me and
said, “Last night I dreamed I was standing above my bed, only I was
flying. I saw myself in my bed. Really weird.” Guy snickered.
“Show respect as you would have him
do for you,” said Eliza.
“Sorry,” said Guy. “Couldn’t
help it.”
“Go on, Josh,” said Eliza.
“I…” I paused, regaining my
strength, then went on. “I wound up flying through the roof, and I
remember this fence on the top of the building….” At this
Eliza’s eyebrows shot up, Amy’s mouth opened and Roy grunted, his
face looking dumbfounded, but I didn’t stop. “…I had a really
good time soaring through the roof, but there were all these pipes,
so I went down to the ground and wound up soaring through there.
Then I flew through the wall and I was inside the cafeteria, and I
saw myself sitting with some friends, I don’t remember who they
were, but there was this woman outside who pointed through the window
and laughed. And right before this, this beautiful woman in a
flowing gown appears in front of me…” -now Allen’s eyes shot
up- “…and right after it she calls me ‘Child of the Goddess.’
I woke up this morning wondering if maybe it was a dream or if I was
supposed to become Pagan or what, but then at lunch I looked outside
the window and I saw this woman point and laugh.” I stopped, not
sure of what to ask.
“I’m impressed,” said Allen.
His face was the epitome of his words.
“Josh,” said Eliza, “I was going
to say… there really is a fence around the roof. It’s in case
someone manages to get on top, so no one jumps off. It’s never
happened before, but… I guess I’m pretty impressed myself.”
I felt as though I’d been struck
across the head with a two-by-four version of reality.
“But I was hoping,” I said, “that
you could help me figure out what happened last night. I want to
figure it out.”
“There’s not much to figure out,”
said Allen. “You had an out-of-body experience.”
“What’s that?”
“It’s when your consciousness
leaves your body,” said Eliza.
“What you described,” said Roy.
“In perfect detail.”
“I don’t understand,” I said.
“How can your mind leave your body?”
“Not your mind,” said Allen, his
arms folded over his chest as he slouched backward gazing at me.
“Your soul.”
There was a pause.
“I’d like to teach you,” said
Allen. “That is by far the most impressive experience with astral
projection I’ve ever heard. Stuff like that doesn’t happen every
day. The Goddess herself came to you, too, and you’re not even
Wiccan. I would be honored,” he said, his forehead wrinkled, “to
teach you what I know.”
“That would be awesome!” I said.
“Good,” said Allen. “Then we’ll
start lessons tonight at free time. When we get out, I’ll do my
best to get you initiated into a coven. They can teach you more than
I can. I don’t think I can do a dedication ceremony, but you can
convert in prayer and dedication. That’ll be good enough.”
“I’m Christian,” I said. “I
just want to learn magick.”
“What are you, insane?” said
Allen. He said it with absolute seriousness in his voice. “You
want to tell me that the Goddess herself visits you in the most
impressive out of body experience I’ve ever seen, and that you’re
not sure you want to convert?”
“Well, I mean, what about God?” I
asked. “Can’t I learn magick and still be Christian?”
“No,” said Allen. “The last
thing I want is someone who has far more potential at magick than
anyone else I’ve ever known learning magick, making it Christian,
and then Christians still demonizing us and claiming we worship the
devil while they themselves steal the only edge we have on them
religiously.”
“I’m sorry,” I said.
“You’ll have to make up your
mind,” he said. “It’s important- you can’t begin to
understand how important- so take your time.”
There was a pause. As Eliza took back
control of the group, it occurred to me that the counselors
themselves had been as intently interested in our conversation as
Allen and I were- so much so that they hadn’t once told us to raise
our hands.
I spent the rest of group thinking.
In the end, the decision was easier to come to than Allen or I had
thought it would be- though it was still hard.
God had really helped me learn; I most
appreciated His lessons in The Handbook. Still, the Goddess
had come to me in a dream.
Hadn’t I set myself determinedly on
the path to find the answers only this morning? Was I going to give
that up? Because surely studying under Allen was the path to getting
the answers I was looking for. I wondered if it was worth betraying
God. No, it certainly wasn’t.
But that wasn’t my final decision.
At the end of group, Eliza asked
Ashley, “Ashley, is all your stuff packed?”
“Yes ma’am.”
“Okay. Because your parents should
be here in fifteen minutes or so.”
“Wait,” I said, “what?”
“Weren’t you here when I announced
I was leaving today?” said Ashley.
“No,” I said. “Wait, was this
yesterday?”
“Yeah. Oh, yeah. He was drugged
over, Eliza. Look, Josh, I’m leaving. Walk with me after group.”
“Group dismissed,” said Roy.
“Blessed be,” I heard Allen
mutter, and he got up to follow the group off for gym.
I walked with Ashley toward her room,
as slowly as possible because we both knew it was the last
conversation we would ever have.
“I know I screwed things up between
us,” she said. “So maybe you don’t want my advice. Are we
still friends, Josh?”
“Absolutely, beyond any doubt, yes,”
I told her.
She looked at me and smiled. “Aw,
thanks Josh.” She turned back toward her door.
“Eliza, you want to walk Josh to
gym?” said Roy.
“Sure,” said Eliza. She smiled at
me. “I’ll be waiting at the desk.”
Ashley stopped in front of her door,
which was open.
“Do me a favor?” she said. “Study
under Allen. He’s right. You’ve got a lot of potential, and I
think you’ll be a dedicated student. I’d hate to see everything
you could do go to waste.”
And I made up my mind. “I will,”
I said.
She said, “One other thing.”
“Yeah.”
“I don’t want you to ever cut
yourself again.”
I frowned. “I can’t promise
that.”
“Promise me.”
“I can’t. I might lose it again.”
“Then promise me you won’t as long
as you’re still thinking rationally.”
“Okay.”
“Say it.”
“I promise I won’t ever cut myself
again as long as I’m thinking rationally.” I meant what I said.
I greatly valued a promise to her.
“Good.” She smiled at me,
wistfully. “And may we never be back here again.”
I laughed. “Amen to that,” I
said.
“So mote it be,” corrected Ashley,
then laughed, and I caught on to the reference to my indecision and
also laughed.
“Josh,” she said as I finished
laughing, “you’ve been a good friend. I’ve got to go now, but
I want you to get out there and do something with your life.”
“You too,” I told her.
I saw her eyes growing moist. “I’ll
miss you,” she said. “I’m going to miss everyone.”
“We do get attached here,” I said.
“Lord- the Goddess”- she laughed- “knows I’ll miss you and
George and everyone too.”
She looked me in the eye a minute.
Neither of us knew what to say. I started to hug her, but I
remembered the rule and stopped. I looked up, and I was right- Eliza
was nearby.
“Goodbye,” she said, and went into
her room.
I walked with Eliza to gym.
Chapter X: Charles Cries
My mind dwelled on Ashley as Eliza and
I walked on to the gym in silence. At first she tried to make
conversation, but I think she figured out my heart wasn’t in it. I
suddenly wished I had gone out with Ashley. Maybe then I’d be able
to see her again. Even if I didn’t love her, I knew I’d miss her
because she was a good friend. It wasn’t these walls or the
counseling that made this place bearable; it wasn’t my medication,
either. What made these halls bearable, what made them more than
that- what made them worthwhile- were the supportive people in here.
And I swore to myself then that I would help Charles because I
wanted to be to him what Ashley and George had been to me.
I had been touched by them in a way
that I knew then, as I know now, would last in my mind and in my
heart for the rest of my life.
“Dear Goddess,” I prayed, “let
me be like them. Let me help people, let me keep Charles from
suicide, let me help him recover like they did for me, let me help
him cope with this place because I know it’s pure Hell your first
few days.” I paused, then smiled at the thought of what Ashley had
asked me to do, what I knew I therefore could not turn my back on,
and said to myself, “Blessed be.”
Eliza looked at me. “What did you
say?”
“Nothing,” I said.
We entered the gym.
“You’re a good man,” the Goddess
told me in my head. “Keep it up. You can do it.”
Then there was a thought in the back
of my mind, like a premonition, that became a voice so closely
afterward it was a progression that seemed to be a single instant:
“You’ll have a chance now.”
Everyone was split into two teams of
three on either side of a volleyball net that had been erected in the
middle of the gym. The closet door stood ajar.
“Can I be on Charles’ team?” I
asked mentally.
“Yes,” said the Goddess.
“Hammonds,” said Roy, “you’re
with Charles.”
“Don’t let them stop me from
comforting Charles,” I said in my head to the Goddess.
I walked up beside Charles, near the
front.
“Okay,” said the Goddess.
“How you doing?” I asked Charles.
“Counselors against patients,”
cried Guy suddenly. I realized he was right. “You wimps are going
down!”
“You want a piece of my spike, boy?”
said Roy.
“I’ll take a piece of your spike
and I’ll give you a big piece of zero points,” said Guy. “Bring
it on white boy.”
We laughed.
Charles, Guy, George and Allen were on
my team. Eliza, Roy, John and Amy were opposing us.
“We serve first,” said Amy. “We
have fewer people.”
“Yeah, but you’ve got age.”
“You calling me old, wimp?” said
Roy.
“Nope, sure ain’t….”
“What’s that?” said Roy with a
hand to his ear.
“No sir,” said Guy. He tossed the
ball into the air and whacked it toward the other side of the court.
Amy ran for the ball, bumped into
Eliza, and collapsed in a heap as the ball grazed her head.
“We don’t got no room for sissy
little girls on this team,” said Roy.
Amy was laughing.
“Let Charles serve,” said John.
“Let’s see what Charles’ got,”
said Roy.
Eliza tossed the ball under the net to
Charles.
“How do I serve?” said Charles
meekly.
Guy showed him, then stood back.
Charles served the ball. It hit the
net.
Roy burst out laughing and made a
negative buzzer sound with a thumbs down sign. “Point for
counselors!” he said.
Charles put his face in his hands.
Roy took the ball and served to
Charles, who was now on his knees.
The ball hit Charles in the head and
rolled to the side.
“Two points for counselors!” said
Roy. “You might wanna tell your team mate to put a little more
effort into his game, Guy. I wouldn’t want to see you get your
butt kicked!” He raised his voice on the last three words
progressively.
“I’m sorry!” said Charles.
“Charles, it’s all right,” I
said. “He’s not serious.”
“Oh I’m dead serious. I take my
game seriously, Hammonds.”
I walked over to Charles. I was about
to touch him when John said, “No physical contact, Josh.”
My hand wavered. I knew I shouldn’t,
but the urge to pick him up off his feet and put a hand on his
shoulder was so strong. I wondered, what would George or Ashley do?
But the truth was, Ashley wasn’t here, and George was staring
helplessly, like he wanted to help but didn’t know how.
“It’s okay, Charles,” said
George.
Charles stood shakily, looking at me.
There were tears in his eyes. He gave a little sob.
“You need to take a break?” said
Roy.
“Yes sir,” he said.
“Go sit on the wall behind the
basketball net. Come back when you think you can play without losing
it.”
“It’s your fault,” I said.
“We know stuff about him that you
don’t know,” said John.
“Like what?”
“That’s confidential.”
“Bull.”
“You’re headed on your way to
quiet time little man,” said Roy. “Chill.”
My head was swelling with anger, but I
knew there was nothing I could do. I got back into my position and
grabbed the ball. I wasn’t thinking very well, but I spiked it for
Roy’s head.
It hit him square on the forehead and
everyone burst out laughing as it bounced off him all the way back to
the net, where it slid through the curve it made to the ground with a
slight bounce.
“Hammonds,” said Roy. “Was that
intentional?”
“No.”
“Was that intentional?” he
reiterated, with more force.
“No.”
“Was that intentional?”
“No sir.”
“Was that intentional?”
“No sir.”
“Was that intentional?”
I hesitated. “No, sir, it wasn’t.”
He repeated himself again, and I was
starting to break down, but I said, “What are you going to do, just
keep questioning me till I give the answer you want?”
“Was that intentional?”
“I wasn’t thinking,” I said. “I
just naturally hit it toward you, but I didn’t intend to, no. Kind
of automatic reaction.”
“Was that intentional?”
“I’m telling the truth,” I said.
“Are you?”
“Yes sir.”
“Are you?” he said louder.
“Yes!” I said, my voice rising in
frustration.
“Then go sit out with Charles. And
don’t mother him either- that’s our job, not yours.”
I wanted to say, “And a fine job you
do with it,” but I didn’t. I sat beside Charles and whispered to
him, “Charles, it’s all right. They’re not trying to make you
upset, they’re just insensitive.”
“Who’s insensitive?” called Roy.
“You are,” I wanted to say- but I
didn’t.
“No one,” I said instead.
“Go sit somewhere away from Charles,
Hammonds,” said Roy.
I got up and walked toward the back of
the gym, where the door was.
“You’re getting close to quiet
time,” said John. “You won’t undermine our authority. Don’t
push the envelope any further, okay?” He said it in that calm
voice of his that I had grown to hate.
“I won’t,” I said.
“Hah?”
Confused, I turned
around to see that he had put his hand to his ear.
“Yes sir,” I said, turning back
around.
“All right,” he said.
Charles never did rejoin the
volleyball game- not willingly. After he had stopped crying for a
while, John told him to come back in. I had come back in by then,
but I didn’t stand up for him again. He took it a little better,
anyway. I could tell he wanted to cry, but that he wasn’t going to
let himself.
For the rest of the day I felt bad for
him- and for my lack of helping him. I guess in the end none of us
were willing to go to quiet time to stand up for him.
By the time I went to bed, I was
ridden with guilt. My parents had talked to me about it- they’d
said they were sure the counselors knew what they were doing, and
that Charles would probably benefit from it. Maybe, I thought. But
I knew his time in here would be a million times worse than mine, and
the mere thought of going through something so awful was unbearable.
They’d also told me, very adamantly,
not to get in trouble, which meant not to stand up for him. I
thought on this as I went to sleep. I didn’t know. I guess I
could always just talk to him. Listen to him. That couldn’t be
perceived as undermining the counselor’s authority, could it?
After all, that was what they did in group, wasn’t it? I fell
asleep sick at the heart.
I was so worked up in it all that I
even forgot to see Allen about my first lessons. He never saw me
either because the first thing I did after seeing my parents was to
go straight to bed. And unlike my first night, I was used to a hard
mattress- so I fell asleep fairly fast, my concern for Charles
drowned in the road to heavy sleep. I didn’t realize at the time
that it would be remotely possible for me to feel joy the very next
morning, though I already knew that the most beautiful things are
made out of hardship.
Chapter XI: Love
I got up feeling slightly better. The
sleep had drained the worst of my worrying out of me. I was fully
awake the instant someone knocked on my door. There was sunshine
coming from the window, and I could see a cloud above the sunrise.
Not that I could see the sunrise very well; the fence blocked the
sun; but there was still a certain beauty to the morning light this
morning.
I got up and made my bed- I was
actually getting fairly good at it.
The psychiatrist came in and pulled up
the chair to sit in.
“How’d you sleep?” he asked me.
“Very well,” I said.
“You still talking to God?” he
asked me.
“No,” I said uneasily. “Now I’m
talking to the Goddess.”
He scribbled something on his
clipboard.
“What brought the change?”
“I’m converting to Wicca.”
“Why?”
“I had an out of body experience.”
“Do you have any dizziness, any
nausea, or increased appetite?”
“I have been eating more,” I said.
“Any hallucinations?”
“None.”
“Good. Thank you Mr. Hammonds, that
will be all.” He got up and exited the door.
“Vital signs!” I heard Roy yell.
He came to my door and looked at my
bed. “You’re doing all right, Hammonds,” he said. “Doing
all right.” He nodded at me. “Come with me.”
I followed him to a little room on the
edge of the housing corridor. It had a scale and a blood pressure
machine. He took my weight and my blood pressure.
“Gaining some weight, Hammonds,”
he said.
“I am?”
“Probably the medicine.”
George was in the room with me. “You
on zyprexa?” he asked me.
“Yeah, how’d you know?”
“A friend of mine gained weight on
that drug.”
“Am I going to get fat?” I asked.
“I wouldn’t worry about it
Hammonds,” said Roy. “Take it one day at a time, the doctors
will do what they think is best.”
That didn’t reassure me. I really
didn’t trust any of the staff here. I don’t think I even fully
trusted Amy. Maybe Mrs. Joy. Maybe her. But I didn’t know her
very well yet; just something about her said, “I’m a good woman.”
Of course, so was Amy- but Amy was a counselor, and I was having the
“us versus them” syndrome in a very strong way lately.
“Let’s go eat,” said Roy.
I walked outside. I saw a door that
shouldn’t be occupied open, and I watched curiously.
“Alyssa!” called John, at her
door. “We keep a regular schedule here. Don’t make us late.”
“I’m coming,” came a soft,
exhausted voice.
And then she came out.
Oh my God, she was beautiful. I
actually caught my breath as I stared.
She had long blond hair, not combed at
all, but falling naturally around her face, semi-straight. Her face
looked sleepy, but her skin was clear and fair. She was wearing
jeans and a t-shirt, ruffled enough so that I knew she had slept in
them- but in a way I found it attractive because she looked even more
beautiful. I took a step toward her unconsciously.
She walked up to me, John behind her,
bringing up the rear, and she smiled at me. And as my eyes met hers,
I realized something that far outweighed everything else: her eyes.
Her eyes were blue, clear blue, and they glistened healthfully as I
looked into them. There was a kind of vibrancy, a vitality to them
that showed through her sleepy face. And her smile, flashed though
it was, was engaging.
“I’m Josh,” I told her.
“I’m Alyssa,” she said in a
sleepy voice. She stuck out her hand as we walked.
“No,” I said.
“Hell, the way you were staring at
me, I thought you’d seen a ghost- and now this guy who’s looking
at me funny doesn’t want to shake my hand. Seriously! I suppose
you’ve got some rare skin disease from southeast Asia or
something,” she said, and smiled at me. My heart raced as I looked
into her eyes.
“No,” I said, shaking my head.
“Then shake my hand,” she said,
putting it back out.
“I can’t,” I said, pulling my
hand to my chest. “We’re not allowed to.”
She laughed. “Look, they already
took us away. Do you really think they give a damn if we shake
hands?”
“Watch your mouth,” said John.
“Sorry,” said Alyssa before he
could go on. “I get it from my father, I’m trying to work on it,
actually. Hey, do you swear?”
“No,” I said.
“Listen,” said John, “you’re
not allowed to touch. We can put you in quiet time for that.”
“Yeah, probably because some
counselor here had skin disease and didn’t want anyone to know it-
say, have you been to southeast Asia any time recently, Mr.
What’s-your-face?”
I wanted to hug her and give her a
million dollars.
“Just don’t touch anyone, and I
don’t have a problem,” said John.
“Whatever floats your boat.”
She turned to look at me. “Does he
have a skin disease?”
“That’s enough,” said John
calmly.
“I don’t mean to offend you,”
she said. “I apologize, Mr. What’s-your-face.”
I laughed despite myself.
“You think that’s funny, Josh?”
said John. He had the same look on his face that he had had right
before he put me in quiet time and refused to tell me why.
“You never know,” said Alyssa.
“He’s probably not laughing at you, he’s probably laughing with
you. Josh, isn’t it?” I nodded, looking at her with my heart
all aglow. “Well Josh, why don’t we walk up a bit so that our
friend here doesn’t have to listen to our conversation?”
We walked up to the middle of the
procession, which was actually getting pretty long now. There were
nine of us total now, including Amy, Roy and John.
“You’re awesome,” I told her as
we got to the middle of the line.
“Thank you,” she said. “I’d
give you lessons, but unfortunately there’s not a degree in bad
social skills.”
“No,” I said. “Those weren’t
bad social skills. Those were awesome social skills. You made an
idiot out of him without him being able to do anything about it.”
“And that’s another thing I’m
trying to work on,” she said. “I do that to people a lot. I
don’t always mean to; I just get carried away.”
“Whoa, you mean all that came
naturally?”
“Pretty much.” She smiled at me.
“You seem like a nice guy.” She didn’t pause, but my heart
fluttered as I met her eyes. “Where are you from?”
“Andersonville,” I said.
“I see,” she said. “Well, I go
to South Andersonville.”
“Seriously?” I asked her. “I go
to West Andersonville.”
She laughed quietly. “Not good.”
“I know,” I said.
Our schools were big rivals.
“You realize you’re hitting on the
enemy, right?”
She was so blunt. I hadn’t wanted
her to say I was hitting on her; I didn’t even realize I was. It
was all just coming out naturally. I wondered, what about Jessica?
But it was a thought in the back of my mind.
“I’m not hitting on you,” I
said.
“No, just coming very close to it
and staring at me like I’m the most beautiful girl you’ve ever
seen.”
“You…” I began.
“What?” she said, then shook her
head. “Sorry. I told you I have bad social skills.”
“No,” I said, “that’s not it.
It’s just….” My voice trailed off.
We entered the dining hall and got in
line.
“What?” she said.
“Promise not to freak?”
“Yeah.”
“You are the most beautiful girl
I’ve ever seen,” I said.
“Aw,” she said in a drawn out
note. “I’m going to keep hanging around you.”
I laughed. “Thanks.”
“Bull,” she said. “All I said
was ‘aw.’ You’re the one who said I was the most beautiful
girl you’ve ever seen. You’ve got to see how much bigger that
is?”
I started getting my food. Let’s
see: tasteless waffles, tasteless eggs or tasteless bacon? Hmm….
I got tasteless eggs and tasteless
bacon and walked very slowly out of the line. As Alyssa joined me, I
walked faster.
“Look,” she said. “I’m going
to be blunt with you from the start.” She certainly had been so
far, I thought. “I’m not the kind of girl you want to go out
with. I’ve got issues.”
“Take a look around you,” I said,
nodding my head around at everyone else. “Most of the people you
see here are in here for suicide, and most of the counselors here
taunt the people who tried to kill themselves one or two or three too
many times already.”
We sat down by ourselves, facing each other.
We sat down by ourselves, facing each other.
“Okay,” she said. “Let me put
that differently. My issues hinge around love and sexuality, and you
don’t want me to get involved with you. Besides, I have bad social
skills- take the fact that I talk about dating after we’ve only
known each other for all of ten minutes, for instance.”
She took a bite of a waffle and spat
it out. “What the Hell is this?”
I deemed it best not to push her. She
clearly didn’t want to go out with me. “It’s probably spam,
but the woman who talked to me before I came in here told me it was
our medicine that makes it tasteless.”
“Screw that,” she said. “I’m
not on medicine.”
“I’m not surprised.”
She grinned at me.
We kept eating, and for a moment I was
scared it was an awkward pause, but then, still chewing, she said to
me as though we hadn’t stopped, “How old are you?”
“I’m seventeen,” I said.
She nodded. “Me too.”
“So you’re a junior?”
“Senior.”
“Late birthday too?”
“No. I skipped a grade.”
“Awesome,” I said. “So you’re
really smart.”
“Not really. I just study hard.”
She laughed suddenly. “You don’t get that impression from me, do
you?”
“I…”
“Be honest.”
“No, sorry, but I don’t.”
She shook her head. “It’s fine.
No one does.” The way she looked up at me made me want to kiss her
right then and there. I knew it was too early, and I knew she didn’t
want to go out with me, but I was aching to kiss her. It hadn’t
been except all of twenty-five minutes, and it felt like it hadn’t
been five, but I felt like I’d known her all my life. I really
thought right then that we were meant to be together, in a way I
couldn’t explain.
“I am smart, I guess,” she
continued, chewing as she paused, “but not like the real brains. I
just use what I’ve got and work hard. I want a good life when I
get out of here.”
“I can’t wait to get out of here,”
I said.
She looked at me funny. “Really?”
“Yeah!” I said. I smiled. “I
mean, ‘yes ma’am.’” She looked at me funny, and I said with
a dismissive wave of my hand, “You’ll get it later.”
She nodded.
“Aren’t you eager to leave here?”
I asked.
“Shit,” she said. “I want to be
in here.”
“What? Why?”
She shrugged, looking away for a
second. “I just do.”
“No reason why?”
“Okay, let me be blunt like I
usually am: it’s personal.”
“Whoa! Girl with mouth has dark
secret- sounds like a newspaper headline.”
“I’ll tell you when I know you
better,” she said. “Actually, I’m planning on coming out with
it here, since I’m legally protected with confidentiality and all-
but I guess I’m putting it off. I’m so insecure!” she said,
putting the back of her hand to her forehead and tilting her head
back like she was going to faint.
“Yeah right,” I said, and we both
laughed.
“But seriously,” she said, “if I
told you, you’d understand why it’s hard to talk about.”
“You don’t have to tell me if you
don’t want to,” I said.
“Good man,” she said, patting my
hand. I drew back quickly.
She sighed. “Why are you afraid to
touch me?”
“They’ll put me in quiet time,”
I said.
“And what? Have you sit in a room
for half an hour?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“Come on now,” she said. “Is
that really that hard?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“I guess I’ll find out sooner or
later. Maybe I’ll French-kiss a counselor to find out.”
“Bad idea.”
“Why? This room is that bad?”
“Yes. It’s small. It’ll make
you feel like the walls are caving in on your head.”
“I see,” she said. “Well, I
guess I’m not that kind of girl anyway.”
“Really?”
She looked at me with squinted eyes
and said, “You don’t want me to bite you.”
“Ooh, interesting,” I said.
She flicked a piece of egg at me.
“Hey!” I said.
She scooted her plate forward on her
tray. “You can’t possibly call throwing this food away a waste
anyway, can you?”
“It’d be kind of hard to do,” I
said.
“Why in Hell- no, bad Alyssa, bad
Alyssa.”
“What?”
“I can’t stop swearing! I swear,
I’m a compulsive swearer- but I don’t think that’s a word. Oh
well. Anyway, why are you still eating?”
“I’m hungry,” I said.
“That hungry?”
“M-hmm.”
“That’s impossible.”
“I think my medicine increases my
appetite.”
“Scary.” She raised her eyebrows,
then slumped back in her chair. She started trying to make her hair
go straight. “I hate my hair.”
“It’s wonderful!” I said.
“Yeah, and I’m the most beautiful
girl you’ve ever seen. Really.”
“No, it’s true,” I said. “I
like your hair.”
She grinned. “Thanks. You’re
pretty hot yourself.”
“Thanks!” I said. It was the
first time a girl had told me that.
“Looks like it’s time to go,”
said Alyssa.
I looked up. Everyone was leaving.
John waved his hand at us to come.
“Come on you two,” he said. “It’s time for morning group.”
“What’s morning group?” she
asked.
I laughed as we stood up. “You
really don’t know anything about this place, do you?”
“No.”
As we walked to put our trays up, I
said, “My poor naïve little girl.”
A shadow passed over her face, then
she shook her head.
“What’s wrong?” I asked.
“I’ll tell you someday,” she
said. She laughed. “Probably in about five minutes.”
We put up our trays to the sound of
the clang of plastic on metal and walked out the door as the woman
behind the counter dumped our plates. I could hear the thud of
dishes on plastic trash cans as we went back into the hall. The door
closed behind us.
Alyssa and I walked back in silence.
I was checking her out as discreetly as I could; the way her jeans
clung to her body, the way her shirt curved around her figure, made
me want to touch her. That would have gotten me in a lot of trouble,
of course- hugs could lead to quiet time; I could only imagine what
they’d do if I put my arm around her and drew her in close.
Except, there were two problems with that: one, I didn’t think
she’d let me do that (or would she?), and two, what exactly was
more severe than quiet time? It was finally occurring to me that
tranquilizers and confinement were their only means of discipline-
not that that wasn’t enough. I wondered if anyone in here ever was
put in a strait jacket, like in movies. Or if any of us would ever
be strapped down. Of course, this was nothing like the stereotype;
no one in here was crazy. Or as I would say in later years, no one
had been crazy- except me. I had gone to the mental institution,
where everyone was supposed to be crazy, and years later I would
reflect and know that the only person there who had not been 100%
sane was me.
“You like my clothes?” said
Alyssa.
“Oh God,” I said involuntarily.
Alyssa burst out laughing. “It’s
all right,” she said. “Do you?”
“You look so good in them it’s
insane,” I said. I tried imagining that I had just said that. Was
it possible?
“Thank you,” she said.
We walked into the common room and
took our seats. I felt good, because George was on one side of me,
and Alyssa on the other- a good friend and a girl I was entirely
enchanted by.
“We have a new member to our group,”
said Amy, who was running group together with John. Roy had gone
elsewhere for the moment. “If everyone would go around and
introduce yourselves, I’d be obliged. Say your name, your hobbies,
and what you’re in here for, if you’re comfortable sharing. You
don’t have to. I’ll start.” She was on the other side of
Alyssa, to my right. I knew from experience we’d be going
clockwise. “I’m Amy, and I like riding horses, writing poetry
and going to church. I’m very religious, and I’m not saying how
old I am.”
A few laughs.
Guy was next. “I’m Guy,” he
said in a gruff voice. “I like shooting people in the ass….”
“Go sit outside group,” said John.
We all snickered.
“Amy?” said Guy.
“You heard him,” said Amy.
Guy sighed and got up, going to sit in
one of the two chairs outside the common room.
“John?” said Amy.
“I’m John,” said John. “I’m
fresh out of college and I like watching football. I’m 27.”
Allen was next. His pudgy face was
resolute, stiff as he said, “My name’s Allen. I’m obsessed
with the occult, and people used to pick on me in school for it, so I
tried to kill myself.”
That hit home. What the Hell? My new
friend had tried to kill himself because people picked on him. Why
him? It was weird. I didn’t understand why other people would
want to kill themselves. Surely they didn’t have as much reason to
hate themselves like I did?
Charles was next. “I’m Charles,”
he said shyly in a small voice.
“Speak up,” said John in his usual
voice.
“I’m Charles,” Charles said with
obvious effort. “I used to want to be a writer, but I kept getting
rejection slips and I don’t know what I want anymore. I got so
sick of my failures, I got so sick of it all.” His voice trailed
off a minute and then he said, “So I tried to kill myself, and
that’s why I’m in here.”
“Thank you for sharing, Charles,”
said John. “George?”
“I’m George, I got kicked out of
school for cussing, then I got kicked out of alternative school for
cussing, and now I’m in here for psychological evaluation, and also
because I don’t got anywhere else to go.”
“I’m Josh,” I said. “I’m in
here for cutting myself and nearly killing myself.”
There was a pause.
“Alyssa?” said Amy.
“I guess I should be open,” said
Alyssa.
“If you want to be,” said Amy.
“We’re all here for something, I think you’ll find respect.
Disrespect will be dealt with appropriately.”
“Okay,” said Alyssa. “I’ll be
really, really open. Big breath!” She took air in with those two
words, and exhaled afterward very loudly. “Okay, I’m ready now.”
She cleared her throat. “I wanted to come here. My dad has been
sexually abusing me for years, and I got so sick of it. I didn’t
want to tell anyone, I was so ashamed, and I tried to kill myself.
It didn’t work, needless to say- anyway I’m really, really glad
to be here, because home was pure Hell and you have no idea how good
it feels to sit here and not have to worry about being raped or
something. It’s like, to him, I had no dignity. I guess I kind of
fear like all males now, too, because with Josh I’m scared to touch
him, even though I know we can’t anyway, because I don’t want
anything sexual to go on. I know I’ve got to overcome it…
anyway, that’s why I’m here. Thanks.”
“Thank you for sharing, Alyssa,”
said Amy.
And group began.
During group I reflected on what
Alyssa had said. It hurt something awful. She couldn’t want to go
out with me now, after what her dad had done. I wondered if she had
been scared when I was checking her out. Oh my God, suppose she
thought I was going to rape her?
And yet I wanted her so, so bad. It
was the first time in forever I’d been attracted to anyone besides
Jessica, and it felt so good to be with her. I liked how open she
was, how she acted- she was awesome. I composed a poem in my head:
“Alyssa, though I’ve only known you
so short a time,
I already have so much on my mind.
You are the queen of my heart
So please take part
In this little piece of heaven
I can only have with you.”
I can only have with you.”
I thought it was corny, but oh well.
I didn’t think Alyssa needed a lover
in her life at that time. I should be selfless, I thought. And on
the other hand was selfishness. What would I choose? Obviously
selfishness was not an ideal. If I truly loved her, if this was true
love, then I’d do what was best for her. I’d let her go. If I
truly loved her, I’d pretend I didn’t.
And what the heck was I thinking,
anyway? Love her? I’d only known her an hour or two. It was hard
to imagine it was as serious as it felt. And yet in my heart, there
was no room for doubt. I knew I loved her.
And that was why I had to let her go.
So for the moment, I would avoid her.
After morning group we went to gym. I
saw Charles huddled in the corner, head between his knees, and elbows
on his knees. His slouch was the epitome of depression.
I walked up to him. He looked up
vaguely as I approached.
“You okay?” I asked him.
“I’ll be all right,” he said.
I sat down next to him. “Why are
you always so upset?”
“Because I’m a failure.” He
said it with convicting seriousness.
“You’re not a failure,” I told
him.
“Yeah I am.”
“Look, everyone gets rejection
slips. If you’re going to make it as a writer, you’ve got to not
let it get to you.”
“You’re a writer?”
“My uncle was, before he died. He
told me about what it’s like.”
“It gets better.”
I looked up to see Alyssa. I hadn’t
even realized she’d been standing there, or even that I had been
staring at the floor.
I had been trying to avoid her, but
there was no part of me now that was capable of getting up and
walking away or trying to politely ask her to leave. My heart ached,
and I was dying to kiss her, even as I tried to shove the thought out
of my mind.
As if reading my thoughts, she said,
“Look, Josh, I know I shouldn’t, but I have a really big crush on
you, and I want you to go out with me.”
My heart was racing, my insides a
warm, sentimental mush as I stared at her. Her hands were clasped in
front of her chin. Her hair had been combed since this morning, or
so it would seem.
“I love you,” I began.
“I like you too,” she said.
I loved her so much, but I did not
want to hurt her. She was going through so much. Come on, Josh,
don’t do this. Don’t make it harder for her.
“I don’t think you’re ready,”
I said.
“That’s true,” she said. “You
think we should wait?”
“Yeah,” I said. “I don’t want
to hurt you.”
“That’s sweet,” she said.
“Maybe someday. Maybe then you’ll be an awesome boyfriend. I’d
be in shock if it were any other way.”
And then there was pain. Why had I
done this? Well, that was easy. I guess I really did love her. The
thought gave me pleasure.
“I’m proud of you,” said Musashi
in my head. “Keep up the good work. Selflessness is an art.”
So what could I do to be more
selfless? That was obvious. For now, I would help Charles overcome
his depression. That would be a good thing to do.
Chapter XII: Trouble
I figured out as I talked to Charles
that his depression centered around his loathing for himself, which
would attach to any kind of failure or deficiency in himself, even
with traits that were better than average. For instance, he hated
himself for not succeeding as a writer when he was only 17. He also
hated himself for stupid things, like his attempted suicide. He had
been more upset with himself after attempting suicide because he had
failed. He also thought he was selfish and weak. I tried to reason
with him.
“If you think suicide is selfish,”
I told him, “then don’t you think hurting yourself and being so
negative is selfish to?”
“I’m sorry,” he said
immediately. “I didn’t mean to make you feel bad, too.”
I shut my eyes.
“That’s not what he means,” said
Alyssa. “He’s saying you’re using circular logic. You hate
yourself because you hate yourself.”
“That’s not the only reason,”
said Charles. “I’m not a good person, sometimes I hurt people’s
feelings…”
“We all do,” I said.
“You need to talk to someone,
Charles?” said John.
Somehow he had gotten behind us
without my noticing; I jumped at the sound of his voice.
“I’ll be okay.” Charles’
voice was half-hearted.
“Go talk to someone,” I said.
“I’ll be all right,” Charles
muttered into his lap. “I just want to sit here for now.”
“Okay. We’re here for you when
you need us, Charles.” John turned toward Alyssa and me. “You
two. I don’t want to see the two of you trying to throw pity
parties again. If he’s upset, he can talk to one of us. You’re
not professionals, and we can’t have you trying to offer advice
outside group. Therapy is not your place- that’s our place. And
even in group, make sure you’re not just throwing pity parties,
telling him you’re so sorry that he’s got such a hard life. He
can come get help from us when he’s ready.”
“But he doesn’t want help,” I
said.
“You can’t help someone who
doesn’t want it,” said John.
“Oh I beg to differ,” said Alyssa.
“How can you help someone who
doesn’t want help, then?” said John.
“We were just showing you,” said
Alyssa. “Charles, are you feeling any better?”
“A little,” Charles said.
“You see?” said Alyssa.
For a moment, John looked like he was
about to give in.
“Are they throwing pity parties
again?” called Roy.
“Looks like,” said John. He
turned back to us. “No therapy, no pity parties….”
“Yeah?” said Alyssa. “Maybe the
problem is that you’re not helping him. I don’t see you over
here trying to make him feel better….”
“That’s our job…”
“Then do it!”
“…and we handle it in group. If
you want to go to quiet time, you can keep….”
“Fuck you asshole!” said Alyssa.
“I’d love to go to quiet time.”
John looked to the side again for a
minute. “Then let’s go,” he said.
“I hope you feel better, Charles,”
said Alyssa, patting him on the knee.
“No PDA!” hollered Roy.
“What’s that again?” she asked.
“Public display of affection,”
said John.
“Oh yeah- it sends me to quiet time.
Well, looks like I’m headed that way anyway. I hope you feel
better, Charles,” she said, patting him on the knee again- and then
she walked out, John following in her wake, steaming as much as his
calm demeanor allowed him to.
I burst out laughing as soon as they
were gone.
“You got a problem, Hammonds?”
called Roy.
“No sir,” I said. “But she’s
awesome.”
“That girl isn’t headed anywhere
good,” he said, “even if I am overstepping my role as counselor
in telling you that. My advice to you is to steer clear, all right?”
He paused. “All right?”
“I don’t know,” I said.
“It’s your life, not mine.”
I nodded. “Thanks.”
“I don’t think you understand how
things go on in here.” Roy started walking over to me from the
middle of the gym, a basketball in his arms. “But trust me, it’s
for the best.”
“I disagree,” I said.
“Well when you get your license as a
counselor, then you’re welcome to make all the changes you want.
Until then, know your limits, and don’t try to break them too
soon.” He stopped in front of me. “You want to play basketball,
Hammonds?”
I shook my head.
“I want you to stay away from
Charles,” said Roy. He looked down at him. “You all right,
kid?”
“I guess.”
“He’s miserable,” I said.
“Trust me,” said Roy. “He’s
not leaving till he’s made a full recovery. You remember what John
told you about how long you’d have to stay here when you first got
here?”
“Yeah.”
“What’s that?”
“Yes sir!” I corrected myself.
“Right. Well keep in mind, if you,
who are clearly fine now, are not yet out of here, he’s not going
anywhere till he thinks life is a wonderful gift. Don’t worry
about him too much. We know what we’re doing.”
“Thanks,” I said.
“Check,” he said, and thrust the
ball at me.
I managed to catch it, then cast it
back to him.
“Good,” he said as the ball made a
ringing sound against his fingers. “You got game, McKelven?”
said Roy.
“No,” said Charles.
“Why don’t you show me what you’ve
got?” said Roy.
Charles stood slowly.
“I’m about to be all over you like
white on rice,” said Roy. “No lagging behind!” He threw the
ball to Charles and started running forward. Charles didn’t manage
to catch the ball, but picked it up and ran after Roy.
I watched as Roy made half-taunting
remarks again and again to Charles. Every time Charles looked more
upset than strengthened, but I was beginning to understand the logic
behind taunting. I just hoped it worked. I was sure it must, if
they did it usually. But what about the people who weren’t
recovering by those means? I didn’t think Charles would. Of
course, they’d figure it out eventually if he wouldn’t, I was
sure. Just, I really thought there had to be a better way- maybe,
say, support.
What Roy had told me about Alyssa
troubled me. She did remind me of a feminine version of Guy, in
ways. Only, she wasn’t dangerous- she just had a hell of a bad
mouth, a mouth I really admired. Truth be told, knowing she was such
a delinquent, I still envied her. I wanted to be more like her. She
was so cool.
I had a funny thought enter my mind.
Suppose I do something like that? I could call Jessica, right now.
I was so taken up with the thought,
and so aware that if I thought it through I’d change my mind, that
I went to the phone by the closet quickly and dialed Jessica’s
number.
Two rings.
“Hello?” It was her voice.
The sound of it, so strange to hear
someone from the outside, held me speechless a moment.
“Hello?” she repeated.
“Hey,” I said.
“Josh? Josh, where have you been?
Everyone at school is asking about you.”
“I’m in a mental institution,” I
said.
“What?”
“I nearly killed myself,” I said.
“Josh, you’re scaring me,” she
said.
“Sorry,” I said.
“No, it’s all right,” she said.
“Are you okay?”
“Fine,” I said. “I’m doing
much better, actually.”
“That’s good.” She sighed.
“Mental institution? Imagine that!” She laughed.
“Yeah, do me a favor,” I said,
“don’t tell anyone.”
“Yeah, sure,” she said. “I
didn’t know you were crazy, though.”
“I’m not crazy!” I said.
“Yeah, you’re just in the crazy
house, the loony bin. Um, yeah.”
“Damn it Jessica,” I said. “I’m
not crazy. I’m in here for cutting, not for being crazy.”
“I’m sorry, Josh,” she said.
“Just, if you’re cutting yourself, I think you belong in there.
I’m sorry I’m making a joke out of this. I know it’s serious.”
There was a pause.
“Who are you talking to?”
John’s voice so startled me that I
turned around completely and dropped the phone as I stared
horror-struck at John. I knew where I was headed.
John picked up the phone.
“Hello?” he said. And then,
“Who’s this?” Pause. “Thank you. He’s not supposed to
call without permission, I’m sorry, but you’ll have to finish
talking to him some other time.”
I could hear Jessica say, “He’s
not in trouble, is he?”
“Not really. Don’t worry.
Goodbye.”
I heard Jessica reply, though I
couldn’t make out the words, and then John hung up the phone.
“Come with me,” he said.
“I thought you said I wasn’t in
trouble,” I said.
“Not major,” he said.
I walked with him to the quiet time
room.
Inside the quiet time room, I
regretted what I’d done. I hadn’t helped anyone by doing what
I’d done. I’d even made Jessica worry about me and hurt our
relationship. Maybe I didn’t want to be badass. I sucked at it
anyway.
Next time, I’d help someone else.
That was a much better reason to get into trouble. What I’d done
was stupid and selfish.
And who to help was, for the umpteenth
time, obvious. I would help Charles.
I realized as I sat there that my
current stay in the room wasn’t nearly as bad as the first time had
been. I suddenly wondered why it had been such a big deal in the
past. Who cared if he had to sit in a room for half an hour? It was
a punishment that worked with three year olds; why should it be so
effective? Why had it been effective with me?
I really didn’t know.
I stood and began to pace, more out of
boredom than tension. Maybe pace isn’t the right word for it- more
like dawdled from one side of the room to the other. Then I sat down
again.
A nurse peeked her head in the door.
“Joshua Hammonds?” she said.
“Yes ma’am?” I said.
“You’re to come with me,” she
said.
I followed her down the hall to a
little room with a table in the middle and a mirror on one side of
the wall. Dr. Johnson was sitting at one side. On the table were a
few plastic boxes.
He rose as I entered. I heard the
nurse shut the door behind me.
“Sit down Josh. I just want to ask
you some questions,” he said.
I sat down, a
little nervous.
“I’m going to
ask you to tell me what comes to mind when you see a picture. There
are no right or wrong answers. Just tell me what you see.”
He opened one of the boxes and took
out a card. It was a Rorschach test, I could tell. The ink blot
looked long and sharp; I responded, “This is going to sound far
fetched.”
“That’s quite all right. Again,
there are no right or wrong answers. Just tell me what you see.”
“I see a knife,” I said.
“Okay.” He put the card down so
that a new card was facing me; he had the stack of cards in his
hands. “Now what do you see?”
It was clearly a building. “A
building,” I said.
“What kind of building?”
I thought a moment. I noticed bars on
the front, in a vague kind of way, so I said, “A jail.”
“Now what?” He put that card down
so that a new one faced me.
We went on like this for some time;
then he took out a new box, and gave me new instructions.
“Now I’m going to show you some
pictures, and I want you to tell me a story about each picture.
Again, there’s no right or wrong answers, just tell me what you
see.”
The first picture was of a cabin. It
reminded me of a man hiding from the law, so I told a story about a
man who had been chased there. In the story, he had to hide from the
police because he’d accidentally killed someone and didn’t want
to go to jail for manslaughter. It was hard to say why every one of
my stories, starting with that one, had a violent theme, but I told
them that way nonetheless.
When he was done with that, he thanked
me and told me, “You’re welcome to go back now.”
A nurse appeared at the door.
“He’s done,” he said.
He extended his hand, and for a moment
I was scared I’d get in trouble. “It’s all right,” he said.
I shook his hand, and we smiled at each other. Then I followed the
nurse to another room.
This was the group room, the one we’d
used besides the common room, and inside was an oblong particle board
table. I sat down at it, and then was delighted to see that my
parents were coming in. A nurse I didn’t know followed them in.
Everyone sat down at the table.
“First of all, allow me to introduce
myself. I’m Erica,” said the nurse, “and we’re here to
discuss your transition back into the community and your progress
here. How are you doing today, Mr. Hammonds?”
“I’m doing well,” I said.
“Very good then.”
With my parents there, I felt so much
better- not that I’d been feeling bad, but it was elating to have
them there with me.
“How do you like it here, Mr.
Hammonds?” asked Erica.
“It’s all right,” I said. “But
some of the counselors are jerks at times.”
“I would ask you not to slander our
counselors,” said Erica. “They work very hard for all of you.”
“They taunt anyone who’s
depressed!” I said.
“That’s part of the treatment,”
said Erica.
“How is that treatment?”
“If you ever become a counselor,
maybe you’ll understand.”
“Bull,” I said.
“Josh!” exclaimed Mom. She was
looking at me sympathetically.
“Mom, you don’t see it,” I said.
“They can say all they want about treatment, it’s a load of BS.
They told me an hour or two ago about how it was for Charles’ best
that he be taunted, but the kid’s miserable.”
“And have you been able to help
him?” said Erica.
“They won’t let me try!” I was
getting mad.
“Josh, we came here to see you,”
said Mom. “We want to know how you’re doing.”
She wanted to help me, but I was
worried about Charles.
“I’m doing great,” I said. “But
this place is a hellhole, and…”
“Then you shouldn’t have done what
you did to get here,” said Erica.
“I know,” I said, “and I regret
it wholeheartedly. But I’m worried about Charles.”
“No names, please,” said Erica.
“Everything that goes on in here is confidential. You’re not to
discuss any of the patients with your friends when you go back….”
“Or contact any of my friends from
here,” I said, “I know. But I’m going to help ‘someone’
stand up to the counselors if it gets bad again, like it did before.”
“I’m sure they can handle it,”
said Erica. “But I’m not sure that will be good for you.”
“Please don’t do anything stupid,”
said Mom.
“I’m not talking about doing
anything stupid, Mom,” I said.
“Don’t get yourself in trouble,”
said Dad. “We just want to see you get out of here in good shape.”
“I will,” I told him.
“You realize you could wind up in
jail if things get too bad?” said Dad.
“Yeah,” I muttered.
“Just focus on getting through this
place,” said Dad. “Then you can worry about social reform and
all that good stuff.”
“I don’t know,” I said.
“Promise us,” said Mom.
“I can’t,” I said.
“You have to,” she said.
“Mom,” I said. “I don’t want
to make a promise I can’t keep.”
“Don’t get yourself in trouble,
Josh,” said Dad.
“All right,” I said. “I
promise.”
I had given in. For the rest of that
conversation, I was keenly aware that I’d betrayed my own
conscience.
Chapter XIII: Crazy
It was clear to me that I could not
help Charles anymore- not for now. I wanted to so badly, but I had
given my parents my word, and I wasn’t going to break it. I knew
it would be hard to resist the temptation to stand up for him, and so
I would need something to take my mind off him- a new goal. But
what?
In a mental institution, there really
isn’t much room for hobbies or personal goals; the only freedom
comes at night, and that’s obviously not freedom, because there in
the place we call prison, your every movement is watched from 7:30 AM
to the time you go to bed. Some of us would go to our rooms, true-
but what did one have to do there? A true Type A personality might
find something; maybe write a short story on paper, or meditate, but
it’s hard to say what else. As for me, I had nothing. Before I
had come here, I had been going through a depression that had
destroyed all my goals. The scholarship I’d gotten to USC, my
parents were constantly reminding me, was threatened by my poor final
year of high school.
School wasn’t the only thing I’d
been slacking off in- I’d been slacking off in life, too. Aimless,
I had struggled to find meaning and happiness to something empty,
pointless and miserable.
I guess it was a sign of my recovering
that I actually wanted to take something up. A month ago, on the
outside, I never would have imagined I could feel okay, like I did
now. Things were getting better. Even more so because a month ago,
I could not have imagined having a goal for the day, apart from try
to find something worthwhile in a world where nothing could be
anywhere close.
I took some pride in this; I was doing
well. And maybe it was because I, like so many other people,
associate religion with bettering myself as a person, that I decided
to focus my goal on religion. Allen had offered to teach me, after
all. May as well make the best of it- it was a pretty good
opportunity. Strange, that an opportunity should come in this
hellhole when it wouldn’t outside. But maybe it wasn’t that-
maybe it was more that the opportunity in here shone brightly for me,
whereas the myriad of opportunities portending a successful life
outside had seemed not promises, but obligations, that I had not been
able to appreciate. Strange, how fast fire will change wood to ash,
or an inedible motley to beef stew.
I had missed lunch (no real complaints
there) and half of midday group, which I was beginning to appreciate
and enjoy. The topic of the day was depression, its sources, its
results and ways of dealing with it. I participated heartedly,
talking about my emotional hatred of myself and how much better I was
doing. I knew in a way that I was only a short step from saying, “I
like it here”- and was surely headed out.
After group, we headed to the gym
again. As we streamed into the room and spread out, I asked Allen to
come to the corner with me.
“What’s up?” he said.
“Um,” I said, “I was wondering,
like, remember how you offered to teach me?”
“Yeah,” he said. His round face
looked strained in earnest, like it always did. “You want to get
started?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“Okay,” he said. “Let’s sit
down.”
I sat down, and he sat down facing me.
I was in the corner.
“Just an example of how this isn’t
a panacea,” he said, “that is, that magick isn’t- I want so
badly to do a spell for Charles, but I don’t have any of my
supplies with me, and I can’t work manipulative magick on the
counselors.”
“They’ve been fine since Alyssa
got in trouble,” I said. “Roy tried to play basketball with
him.”
“Dude,” said Allen, “did you
happen to pay attention to the game after that? Or how about while
you were gone? We played a group soccer game, and Roy
wouldn’t stop putting pressure on Charles.”
“They’re trying to make him
stronger,” I said.
“Do you actually believe that?”
“Well they don’t want to hurt him,
I’m sure,” I said.
“I agree,” said Allen. “But I’m
not honestly sure they either know what they’re doing or honestly
take their work seriously. You’ve seen how they are.”
“I promised my parents I wouldn’t
stand up for him again,” I said.
“Jeez,” he said. “Why?”
“I don’t know,” I said. “They
were pressuring me and I gave in.”
“You should never make a promise you
don’t mean.”
“I know,” I said, avoiding his
unwavering gaze. “That’s why I have to keep it.”
“You shouldn’t have made it in the
first place.”
“I know.”
“It’ll be a difficult decision,”
he said, “but enough about Charles. I only brought it up to
introduce some things- jeez, where do I start? Everything I know is
everywhere in my mind, all connected, and I don’t know where to
begin.”
“At the beginning,” I said.
“Platitude,” he said, “and not
accurate. It’s not always that simple. Here, though, I’ll start
with what I started with before. Do you know what manipulative
magick is?”
I thought a moment. “I think Ashley
told me,” I said.
“Awesome,” he said, his face
brightening. “You’ve already had lessons.”
“A little, yeah.”
“Okay then, you remember?”
“It’s when you do a spell to
influence someone’s decisions,” I said, “right? Something like
that?”
“More or less exactly,” said
Allen. He grinned. “You ever read The Hitchhiker’s Guide
series?”
“No,” I said.
“They’re all hilarious. I stole
that phrase from the book. The ways he uses it, it will make you
double over laughing.” He waved his hand. “Sorry, I have ADD.
I get distracted easily.”
“It’s all right,” I said.
“Meditation’s helped,” he said,
“but I think it’s my weak suit as a witch.”
“Ashley taught me some of that,” I
said. “That’s what she taught me- meditation. Mrs. Joy thought
it would help with my depression.”
“I see,” said Allen. “What did
she teach you to do?”
“Guided meditation,” I said, “mind
clearing, things like that.”
Allen nodded. “You know what’s
sad?”
“What?” I asked.
“You’ve probably passed me up on
it already. I’m terrible at meditation.”
“I’ve barely practiced at all,”
I said.
“Okay, probably not then,” he
said. He smiled. Then his face took on an interested look. “Say,”
he said, “I forgot to ask. After I heard that story about your
dream, I thought you might have had some more experiences. Have
you?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“What have they been like?”
I thought a minute. “I guess almost
all of it centers around channeling,” I said.
“You can channel?” he asked, brow
furrowed. “Who taught you that?”
“No one taught me,” I said. “I
learned on my own.”
“You read a book?”
“No,” I said. “Just, for the
longest time, I’ve been able to talk to God in the back of my
head.”
Allen leaned back, looking wary. “I
know some Christians can do that,” he said. “But I’d be
careful, if I were you, about that. It’s a dangerous thing,
channeling. Not so much because of possession as because if you’re
wrong…” His voice trailed off, and he actually looked down from
my face before continuing. “If you’re wrong, you’re deluding
yourself.”
“I’m not crazy,” I said.
“Can you be sure?” he asked.
“How dare you?” I asked. “I
thought you believed in this stuff.”
Allen laughed. “What’s ‘this
stuff’? What does God teach you?”
“Magick,” I said. “And martial
arts.”
“God doesn’t practice magick,
unless you’re a Jewish Cabbalist,” he said.
“Well maybe I should be one of
them,” I said. “God is real, the Goddess spoke to me too, do you
find that more valid?”
“Calm down,” he said. “I’m
not attacking you.”
“You call calling me crazy not
attacking me?”
“Josh,” he said. He shook his
head, but I could see the fire building in his eye, restrained as it
yet was. “What kind of magick did God teach you, tell me that and
I can tell you whether your experience was valid or not.”
“He taught me things about how to
make a spiritual arsenal,” I said, “spiritual bombs that can be
used to damage someone else psychically, possibly leading to death.
He also taught me about how to make a fireball, but it’s an
advanced spell…”
“How do you start learning to make a
fireball?” asked Allen thoughtfully. The look of analysis on his
face was unnerving as he gazed at me.
“You increase your inner forces,”
I said, “and get stronger magickally. When your inner forces are
enough, you visualize heat forming from you, coming from your
chakras, and then shooting outward from your belly in a jet of
flame.”
“I’m sorry,” said Allen
halfheartedly. “You’re crazy.”
He said it with such sincerity that I
glared at him a moment before I went on in a raised voice. “What
do you mean, I’m crazy? How do I know you’re not crazy?”
“I don’t live my life in fear of
that,” he said.
“Then why should I?”
“Because I’m an outsider who’s
knowledgeable in what you want to learn who can tell you what’s
real and what’s not.” There was an edge to his voice now, and
the fire was back in his eye.
“Just so you know, I am just as able
to discern reality as you are,” I said.
“I beg to differ,” said Allen,
laughing.
Without thinking, I lunged at him and
grabbed his hair. He instantly grabbed my head with both hands and
slammed me into the ground. As I stood, I heard Roy call, “Hey!”
and saw Allen walking away as Roy ran toward us. Amy was heading for
the door, to get help, I was sure.
Allen turned to face me and stopped,
putting his hands up as I walked after him.
“It’s nothing personal, Josh,”
he said. “I just want to help you.”
I grabbed Allen by the hair again and
punched him in the stomach, but he kneed me in the side, and then Roy
had a hold of me and brought me to the ground.
“You’ll never grow spiritually if
you’re stuck mentally in an insane asylum,” said Allen.
“Fuck you!” I shouted. “I’m
not crazy!”
“Calm down, Josh,” roared Roy from
above me. I tried to squirm my head up to see him, but he had me
pinned pretty well. I started trying to push myself up.
“If you get up, and I can’t stop
you from fighting Allen,” said Roy, “I will make sure you go to
jail for assault.”
“Damn it,” I said. I struggled
more.
“Stop, Josh!” called Roy with an
edge to his voice.
I stopped.
I heard the door open.
“This won’t hurt,” I heard
someone say.
“Ah hell no,” I said.
I started to struggle again when Amy
said, “Can you walk to the quiet time room peacefully?”
“If it means not getting shot up
with tranqs again,” I said, “hell yeah I can walk peaceably.”
“Before I get up,” said Roy, “you
do anything stupid, I’ll call the police here, and they can bring
you to jail. We clear?”
“Clear,” I said.
Roy let me up. Aches spread through
my body as I rose and followed the nurse with the needle out the
door.
“You need help?” I heard Roy call
as we exited the door.
“I think it’ll be all right,” he
said.
We walked to the quiet time room,
where I sat, sulking, for quite some time. I learned later that
Allen had also been brought to the quiet time room.
I was still angry. Mostly I was hurt.
I’d expected to do well with Allen. What a slap in the face! God
damn, how could he call me crazy? He was no better than Dr. Johnson.
I wished I hadn’t promised Ashley I’d learn under him. It had
been a mistake.
I wished I could have finished that
fight. In my anger, I was blind to the fact that I could not have
expected to win, and instead I felt mad that he’d tried to pull off
the wise spiritual leader crap on me when I’d been on the ground.
It then occurred to me that I had lost
my chance to learn Witchcraft. Damn that sucked. Ashley wouldn’t
be pleased with me. I wasn’t terribly pleased with myself. I felt
guilty, even in the midst of my anger at the indignity of what Allen
had attributed me with.
But what was done was done. I wasn’t
going to go crawling back to him, asking him to teach me magick
without calling me crazy, and I wasn’t going to apologize, both of
which would have to happen if I did try to make amends. For the
moment, I hated him. I wanted him to get his arm broken. I wanted
to break his arm. Then the thought of this started making me feel
guilty. Why? It wasn’t like I was actually considering it. It
was only a flight of fancy. Flights of fancy shouldn’t make me
feel guilty.
I was seething and on the verge of
convulsing with my anger. I got up and started pacing.
Continuing this conflict would be
stupid- very stupid. I could wind up in jail, and I was close to
getting out of here now. I would be stupid to throw that away over a
personality conflict.
I stopped pacing and sat down, waiting
to be released from the room. It was simple: I would stay away from
Allen.
Chapter XIV: Dinner
Conversation
“I wish I could play with my dog
right now.”
The three of us- Alyssa, Duane and I-
were sitting down to dinner as Duane said this. Duane was new.
“You like animals?” said Alyssa.
“I love animals,” said Duane.
“Especially dogs.”
Duane was large and muscular, dark
black and tall. He had a bit of a pin-stripe beard and a puffy face.
It intimidated me just to look at him.
“You vegetarian?” I asked.
“No, but I want to be. I just don’t
think I can pull it off.”
“What are you in here for?” asked
Alyssa. We had finished sitting down, and she was now toying with a
hamburger with the look on her face of uncertainty whether or not she
wanted to eat it.
“I got in a knife fight,” he said.
“With who?” I asked.
“A member of a rival gang,” he
said.
“You’re in a gang?” I asked.
“Yeah,” he said.
“Why?”
“Needed someone to look out for me,”
he said. “But that’s only part of it. I don’t see why I
shouldn’t be.”
“What about the law?”
“Fuck the law!”
“Anarchy over sanity?” said
Alyssa.
“Hell yeah bitch, that’s how we
roll.”
“Mr. Masters,” called Roy, “go
to the quiet time room when you’re done eating, I’ll escort you
there- and watch your mouth.”
“That sucks,” muttered Duane.
“I don’t understand,” I said.
“If you don’t want to kill animals, why would you want to hurt
people?”
“I don’t want to hurt people,”
he said. “I just got sick of not having anything. My mom lives
paycheck to paycheck, and Dad never sends the money he’s supposed
to. I’m not going to go to school and fail out cause I don’t
have any money like she did. I dropped out, and I’m going to get a
job and make my own way. I’m gonna get into business. I’m going
to be somebody.”
“Without school?” I asked.
“I could never afford school,” he
said. “I don’t know. It was really stupid, but I’m sick of
being the last kid to understand what the teacher’s teaching. I’m
sick of putting up with smart-ass white people who had the world
handed to them on a silver platter, got everything they wanted from
their parents, got all the right breaks, had someone to help them
with school, didn’t have to steal their TV… I want another life,
man. I want another life.”
“I’m sorry,” I said.
“Yeah, I feel you,” he said. “But
I’m just moaning, so I’ll shut up now.”
“No, you’re all right,” I said.
“Sometimes I wonder if my life’s
worth living,” he said. “I think about that guy I knifed. I
think maybe I belong with a knife in my back. I wonder if it’s all
I’m good for.”
“Just try,” I said.
“Screw that,” he said, and I could
tell he’d wanted to use the f-word. “You know what I’m good
for? The only thing I’m good at is fighting. I suck at school.
You can’t get nowhere without going to school. I mean, what kind
of future do I have if it ain’t on the streets?”
“There isn’t a future on the
streets,” I said.
“Shut up man,” he said. “You
think you know everything. What am I supposed to do? Huh? What can
I do?”
“I don’t know,” I said.
“I didn’t think so,” he said,
leaning back and slapping the table.
“Get a job,” said Alyssa. “Work.
Like everyone else.”
“At $5.16 an hour?” said Duane.
“Or move to China,” said Alyssa.
“You can cut grass with a pair of scissors for under a dollar a day
over there.”
Duane lifted his chin up, then nodded.
“True, true,” he said. “I heard that. That’s a good
point.”
“That’s why I said it,” said
Alyssa.
“Oh, getting all cocky now,” said
Duane. “Miss big and bad, I see.”
I laughed.
“Are you big and bad?” Duane asked
me. I could tell he was mostly joking.
“No,” I said. “Ask Allen. The
guy didn’t even try to fight me and he still kicked my tail.”
Duane laughed a deep laugh. “I’ll
have to teach you some moves, white boy. I’ll whip you into
shape.”
“Seriously?” I asked.
“Definitely.”
“Thanks!” I said.
“Is everyone in your gang black?”
Alyssa asked.
“Now you be stereotyping,” said
Duane. “Hell no. Just cause we got a higher percentage of
criminals and cause we’re lower class, don’t mean it don’t
happen to white people too, girl.”
“I was curious,” she said.
“I know,” said Duane. “I seem
like a stock thug. It’s funny, I know. But I like reading, k, I
like reading.”
“What do you read?”
“Everything,” he said. “John
Grisham’s my favorite.”
“John Grisham?” I said. “But
you’re a criminal.”
“It’s not about that,” said
Duane. “Don’t you read stories about gangs? S. E. Hinton’s
work and all that?”
“I love her,” I said. “She’s
pretty darn good.”
“She is off the chain!” said
Duane. “But you get my drift, yeah?”
“Yeah,” I said. “Wait,” I
said. “How old are you?”
“Sixteen,” he said.
“Crap,” I said.
“What?”
“I thought you were like 21 or
something.”
“It’s all the working out I do,”
Duane said. He flexed his muscle and then grinned at my bulging
eyes. “We’ll get you in shape, a’ight?”
“A’ight,” I said.
He laughed. “No, a’ight.”
I tried again.
He laughed, and Alyssa was laughing
too.
“I’m sorry,” said Alyssa. “It
doesn’t sound right from you.”
“It doesn’t?” I said.
Duane laughed. “It’s not what you
sound like,” he said. “It’s what you’ve got on the inside.
I’ve known plenty of people that bragged about their skills, that
didn’t have skills at all. Some in school, some on the streets-
but half of them couldn’t do basic algebra or use a knife without
cutting themselves. It’s all about what you’ve got on the
inside.”
“That’s very wise,” I said.
“It’s not wisdom, it’s
experience,” he said.
“That’s what wisdom is,” I said.
“I heard that,” said Duane.
“Speaking of which,” said Alyssa,
“somebody didn’t handle a certain situation too well today, I
hear.”
“I know,” I said.
“What happened?” said Duane.
I sighed. “I got in a fight,” I
said.
“So?”
“It was with a friend,” I said.
“So make up,” said Duane. “If
he’s a real friend he’ll hear you out. Just tell him you don’t
got any beef with him, and you’re sorry, and you hope he can
forgive you and put it behind him.”
“Thanks,” I said.
He looked at me critically because of
something he’d heard in my voice. “You still got a problem with
him?”
“He called me crazy,” I said.
“Why?”
“I talked about creating a fireball
and spirit-nukes.”
“And who wouldn’t draw that
conclusion?”
I glared at him. “Not you, too,”
I said.
“You gonna hit me too? Think what
you’re doing. If everyone’s saying it, why is everyone but you
wrong?”
I was getting mad.
“Josh,” said Alyssa. “You gotta
learn to control your temper.”
“But why does everyone think I’m
crazy?” I asked.
“Don’t look at me,” said Alyssa.
“I don’t like being physically abused.”
“Not you too?”
“I don’t think you’re crazy, per
se,” said Alyssa. “I just think you’re out of your mind.”
I was in a nightmare. I wasn’t
crazy. I wasn’t crazy. I knew I wasn’t crazy. I couldn’t be.
What about the times I’d
hallucinated, even before the drugs?
I shoved that thought out of my head.
I could cope with it later. Wait… I wasn’t crazy.
I wanted to be someone else.
“Are you real?” I asked Musashi.
I must have muttered it aloud because Charles’ voice came from my
side.
“Are you all right?”
“No,” I said.
“Make up with the guy, dawg,” said
Duane. “You wanna grow and not come back here, you gotta
understand yourself. You know that’s what was written over the
Oracle of Delphi, right dawg? Know thyself. Take me. I know I’m
not good in school. I know I suck at life. So I got into drug
dealing. I don’t have to pretend, I am hard. In school, I have to
pretend. On the streets, I am who I am. You don’t belong on the
streets. You got a future- like my brother. My brother gets
straight As. He tell me all the time to go back to school, but he
don’t get it. The man never says something without speaking in
complete sentences, and the sad thing is, he wants to be like me.
I’ll tell you the same thing I told him: be yourself. Know
yourself. And don’t be nobody else.”
“Thanks,” I said. I was on edge.
“But… how does this relate to Allen?”
“I thought you were smart, dawg,”
said Duane.
I shrugged. “I get good grades,
most people think I am.”
“Naw, you be school smart. Look,
let me put it this way.” He paused. “It don’t matter what
nobody else thinks about you. Look inside yourself. And don’t try
to fool yourself. Be honest- know what’s true about you, when
you’re right and when you’re wrong. Both in life and in belief.
I guess I should take that to heart myself. I got a lot of bad
habits. I know I be wrong with this… wish I could say that word!”
He laughed. “Crap, I guess I have to call it. So I’ve been
fooling myself. I ain’t headed nowhere good. But I don’t know
what else to do. You, you got to let yourself know when people
around you be giving you good criticism, and where they’re BS-ing
you. And to know that, you got to know yourself. You heard dawg?”
“I sort of get you,” I said.
He grinned. “Sort of?”
“Yeah.”
“Okay. Let’s try this again.”
Alyssa laughed. “Last chance,
Josh.”
“K,” said Duane. He lifted his
eyes up a second, then started again. “Know the truth about
yourself; don’t fool yourself. When you have a fault, it’s hard
to admit it, but it’s the only way you can overcome it: you got to
be honest. And it’s hard, but that’s what I’m getting at. And
if you screw up, you can’t tell yourself you’re right. You got
to be honest. Know yourself. That’s what I’m getting at.”
“I understand,” I said.
“About time dawg.” Duane laughed.
I joined in with him.
“You gonna make up with him, dawg?”
“I don’t know,” I said.
“Take your time,” he said. He
looked me in the eye. “But I never heard no tree that grew up when
it was shrouded in darkness. Keep that in mind. I want you to know I
don’t got no beef with you, I just want to help you, a’ight?”
I nodded. “A’ight.”
He laughed. “I gotta teach you that
too.”
It finally clicked in my head then
that Charles and George had sat down at the table with us. I had
been so absorbed in the conversation that I hadn’t realized that.
“How you doing, Charles?” I asked
Charles.
“Bad,” said Charles. “I want to
die.”
“You’re not going to hurt
yourself, are you?” said Alyssa.
“I would if I had anything to cut
myself with,” said Charles. “Then I’d be slashed from head to
toe right about now.”
“You shouldn’t talk like that,”
said Duane. “They might put you in a straitjacket or some crazy
stuff like that.”
“He’s right,” said Alyssa.
“It’ll be all right. Trust me. I thought things never got
better. But now I’m here….”
“What?” said Duane. “Hold up.
You mean to tell me- you want to be here?”
“Yeah,” said Alyssa. “I wanted
to get away from my dad.”
“True, true,” said Duane.
“Parents can be bad, I got a friend whose parents don’t look
after him none at all. But I need to watch myself. I be talking way
too freaking much. You was saying?”
“Just that things get better. And
right when you think everything’s ruined, right when you think
nothing’s going to ever get better- that’s the moment right
before your biggest problems go away.”
“She’s right,” I said. “I
know I’ve improved a lot since I got here. And I thought my life
was never going to get better. Going here was out of the frying pan,
into the fire- but things are getting better now. And I know that as
soon as I’m out of here, things are going to be all right. Things
are going to be okay again.”
Charles hung his head. “Thanks.”
“You feel better?” asked Alyssa.
“A little,” said Charles. “I
want you all to know, no matter what happens, I really appreciate
everything you’ve all done for me.”
“Word,” said Duane. “Dawg,
you’ve got the world’s best set of friends sitting right here and
you don’t even know it.”
Charles looked at him. “Thank you
for that,” he said. “And I’m very grateful, cause Lord knows I
don’t deserve half of you as friends, and you’ve all been so
wonderful to me.”
“You do deserve it,” said Alyssa.
“You all think I’m this great
person,” said Charles, like he was about to break. “Why? What
am I worth? Can you tell me one redeeming quality I have? All I’m
good for is being miserable, and that ain’t good!”
“You want my opinion?” said
Alyssa.
“Yeah,” said Charles weakly.
“My opinion is this: if you don’t
think you’re worth anything, change.”
“Straight up,” said Duane.
“I can’t change,” said Charles.
“And I’m sick of fighting with myself.”
“Then don’t fight with yourself,”
I said. “You’re a good guy, Charles.”
“You’re just saying that.”
The problem was, as bad as I wanted to
fight it, I knew he was right. I barely knew him because the only
part of him I ever got to see was the “I want to kill myself”
part of him. But I didn’t want to believe it. I wanted to believe
I admired him. I wanted to believe that I wasn’t just talking. I
wanted to believe the words that were coming out of my mouth.
“You’re a nice guy, Charles,” I
said.
“Can you tell me one thing I’m
going to accomplish with my life?” said Charles.
“That’s up to you, dawg,” said
Duane. “Not us.”
Charles nodded, then looked down. “I
know you’re right,” he said. “I just can’t go on like this.”
“Why don’t you talk to the
counselors?” I asked.
“A lot of reasons,” mumbled
Charles.
“What do you have to lose?” said
Alyssa.
“They might keep me in here,” he
said. “And I’m scared they’ll tell my parents what a rough
time I’m having. And I don’t think Roy and John like me, or that
the counselors want me to feel better.”
“Of course they want you to feel
better!” I said. “This is how they do treatment. It’s their
own screwed-up way of going about it.”
“I don’t know,” said Charles.
“I don’t want y’all to worry about me anyway. There are more
important things to worry about, more important people, people whose
lives are going somewhere worthwhile.”
“Don’t speak like that,” I said.
My voice grew louder. “You’re a nice guy, Charles. Don’t
feel so bad about yourself. You do have a future, you just have to
keep trying.”
“No pity parties,” called Roy.
I shut my eyes.
“If he wants counseling he can get
it from one of us when he’s ready,” said Roy.
“He doesn’t think you want to help
him,” I said.
“Horse poop,” said Roy. “Come
talk to me, Charles,” he said.
He got up and waved Charles over to
another table. Charles got up shyly and followed Roy toward that
table to eat with him.
“Don’t talk crazy, man,” Duane
said. “I don’t want to see you in no straitjacket, you heard?”
“Thanks for the tip,” said
Charles, walking over to talk to Roy.
I watched as Charles and Roy met at a
table in the middle of the room and sat down.
“You think anything good’s going
to come out of that?” said Alyssa.
“They do help,” said George.
“They haven’t helped him yet,” I
said.
“It helped me,” said George. “It
does work.” He paused. “I mean, I was worse at first, but in
the end, it made me stronger.”
“They used to pick on you, too?” I
asked.
“Yeah,” said George.
“Do you think he’s going to commit
suicide?” said Alyssa suddenly.
“What?” I asked.
“She does have a point,” said
Duane. “Did you hear how our man Charles was talking? Sounded
like it to me, sure enough.”
I was nervous. “Do you think we
should tell anyone?”
“What would happen if we did?”
asked Alyssa.
We all looked at George.
George leaned back in his chair,
throwing his napkin on his tray. “Don’t look at me. No one’s
tried it while I’ve been here.”
“You know better than the rest of
us,” I said. “What do you think would happen?”
George chewed on this a minute. “I
know he wouldn’t be out anytime soon.” He paused. “Maybe put
in a straitjacket. Truth be told I’m really not sure.”
“Should we tell?” asked Alyssa.
George turned his head to one side as
though to shake it, then centered it again. “It’s hard to say.
If he kills himself, we’re all going to feel bad….”
“If he kills himself it’s those
God-damn counselors’ fault,” said Alyssa.
“Don’t say that,” said George.
“I’m sure they’re doing their best.” He paused, and then
his face took on an earnest expression. “Look, I know it seems
like they’re just bullies. I know it’s not the best way. And
yes, I agree, it’s risky, and it’s stupid, and it’s inane. But
what’s the alternative? You think Charles would be alive right now
if he weren’t in here?”
There was a pause.
“No,” I said, finally.
“Exactly.”
Another pause.
“But they should make this place
better,” said Alyssa. “Reform.”
“I know,” said George. “But
that’s the thing. It used to be a lot worse. Things are getting
better.”
“They need to get better faster,”
said Alyssa.
“Maybe. But it still stands that
it’s a good thing Charles is in here. Agreed?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“Definitely,” said Duane.
“I do agree,” said Alyssa, “but
that doesn’t answer the question, ‘What do we do now?’, now
does it?”
“Look,” said George. “I know
I’ve been here the longest, but I can’t answer that.” He
paused. We were all still looking at him expecting an answer.
“Look,” he said. “He can’t commit suicide in here. They
don’t even let him have a belt unless he’s level 2 anyway.”
Level 2 was the second level of safety; at level 3, you were allowed
a razor for shaving, and were well on your way out.
“How hard would it be to get
something to kill yourself with?” asked Alyssa.
George shook his head. “Hard.”
He paused. “But I don’t like this at all. I mean, if he does
commit suicide,” he said, looking at each of us in turn, “then we
should have told. If he wasn’t going to, we’ve all possibly… I
wish I knew what they’d do!” He thumped the table.
He looked alarmed suddenly, then
looked up. “We got to risk it,” he said.
“Why? What’s wrong?” said
Alyssa.
“He could be put in a long term care
facility,” said George. “Think of being here, but being here for
six months.”
I shook my head. “Oh my God, that’d
be awful.”
“I know,” said George. “I knew
someone who went to one of those. Guy, by the way- he has to go to
one after he gets out of here, that or jail.” He grunted. “It’s
bad news. We can’t tell.”
“But what if he commits suicide?”
said Alyssa.
George shook his head, his face blank
and somehow strained at the same time. “I don’t know.”
“Hindsight’s better than
foresight,” said Duane. “I say we do our best as is, and not
regret our choice just cause we weren’t psychic.”
George nodded, his heavy heart written
in bold on his face. “I agree.”
“So we’re not saying anything?”
said Alyssa.
“No,” said George. “We can’t.”
“But maybe we could tell them he was
really upset?” said Alyssa.
“They’d get it out of him if we
did,” said George. “I think you and Josh both know by now that
they have a way of getting your deepest secrets out into the open.”
“That’s true,” I said. “But
they’ll do that anyway. And if he is suicidal, and it’s going to
go away soon, he won’t be put in a long term care facility
regardless.”
“That’s true,” said George,
waving his finger in thought. “Maybe we should tell.”
“I think we should, too,” said
Alyssa.
I got up. “I’ll go right now,”
I said.
“Wait,” said Alyssa.
“What?” I said.
“What’ll happen?”
A pause.
“I don’t know,” I said.
“Don’t tell them, dawg,” said
Duane. “Don’t get him in trouble. If he’s suicidal, they’ll
figure him out, and if we tell, he’ll never trust us again. He
already don’t trust them counselors. If he don’t trust us, he’s
got nowhere good to go. Besides, they’d know better than us
anyway.”
I sat down. “You’re right,” I
said.
We had all been waiting for someone to
give a definitive answer, and we’d just had it. Nonetheless, I
left the dining hall totally on edge, worrying about Charles.
Chapter XV: Role Play
“Just a note before we get started,”
said Amy as we all finished settling into the circle of chairs.
“Some of you have been having gas, and I want you to know we’re
not putting up with it anymore. From now on, if you pass gas in
group, you can go to the quiet time room.”
Guy raised his hand.
“Yes Guy?”
“What do we do if we get gas?”
“You can hold it,” she said.
“I’ve never met anyone who couldn’t hold their gas until the
end of group.”
“I can’t,” I said, as did half
the rest of the group, but she dismissed this.
“No, you know you can,” she said.
“Now, let’s go around and say how we feel on a scale of one to
ten. Roy?”
“I’m a seven,” said Roy.
“I’m a four,” said George.
“I’m a three,” I said. I was
worried about Charles, and I was pretty sure George was too.
“Six,” said Charles.
Roy made a correcting sound in his
throat.
“One.”
“Make sure you talk to a counselor
before you leave,” said Amy. “Next?”
Duane looked around, confused. “What
am I supposed to say?”
Amy slapped her forehead as we all
burst out laughing.
“Way to go Miss All-Together,”
said Roy.
“I’m sorry,” said Amy. “I
forgot because of the announcement. Who wants to explain the way it
works?”
“I’d like to work on you girl,”
said Duane. “You sure are something.”
Amy blushed and looked away. “Josh,”
she said, “why don’t you fill him in?”
I nodded, eerily reminded of when
Ashley had told me. “Every morning and every night,” I said,
“everyone rates their overall feeling, good or bad, on a scale of
one to ten. Ten is the best you can possibly be, and one is the
worst. If you’re a two or below, you have to see a counselor.”
“I got you,” said Duane. “I’m
a bit nervous about my homeboy Charles, and I’m a little worse for
being here, but I’ve calmed down some since yesterday so I’m
about a dead-even five.”
“Thank you for sharing,” said
Alyssa. “Allen?”
“Three,” said Allen.
I felt bad for that.
“I’m a two,” said Alyssa.
“See a counselor afterward,” said
Amy.
“Yes ma’am,” said Alyssa.
“I’m a five,” said Guy.
“Now,” said Amy, “why don’t we
all go around and introduce ourselves? Say your hobbies, how old you
are, and what you’re in here for.”
“How about your name?” said John.
“Well, your name, too,” said Amy.
We laughed.
“I’m Roy,” said Roy. “I like
knowing I’m right.”
Some laughs. “Be serious, Roy,”
said Amy.
“My name’s Roy,” said Roy, “and
I like hunting, fishing, and sports. I love football and wrestling
and boxing. I worked my way through college, and I’m proud to be
here, cause it wasn’t easy to get here.”
For an instant, I thought I might feel
guilty if he lost his job for the way he was. After all, he did seem
to care about us.
George went next. “I’m George, I
don’t have any hobbies. I got kicked out of school for cussing,
and then I got kicked out of alternative school for cussing too. I’m
doing a lot better now, and I used to think my life would never get
any better- but now I’m beginning to feel like maybe I can do
something with my life.”
“Thank you for sharing,” said Amy.
“Josh?”
“I’m Josh,” I said. “I’m in
here for cutting myself, but I’m doing much better.”
Charles began in a small voice. “I’m
Charles,” he said.
“Speak up!” called Roy.
“I’m Charles,” he repeated. “I
like writing. I want to be a writer. But I don’t know if that’s
possible anymore because I just feel like crap and like I’m not
going anywhere in life.”
“That’s what we’re here for,”
said Amy.
Charles looked at her with misty eyes.
“Thanks,” was all he said.
Duane was next. “I’m in here
because I got in a knife fight, and I know it wasn’t right but I
got in this gang to help me get things straight… I’m not really
sure what made me join anymore, I guess all my reasons for joining
were really stupid- I mean, it did get me here, after all. I am a
fool. My name’s Duane, I’m a high school dropout, and I don’t
have any hobbies other than fighting and watching TV.”
“My name’s John,” said John. “I
like hanging out with friends and nice things and kicking back and
relaxing.”
“I’m Amy,” said Amy, “and I
like the arts. I also like my job.” She straightened in her
chair. “Today we’re going to do doing something a little
different, kind of fun….”
“All right!” said Roy.
“We’re going to be doing
reverse-role playing. You will be the counselors, we’ll be the
patients. Do we have any volunteers?”
I shot my hand up.
“Josh,” said Amy. “And a
counselor?”
John raised his hand. “John,”
said Amy. She paused. “Okay,” she continued, “here’s the
deal. John is going to start acting like you, Josh, and you’re
going to respond as though you are John. There is to be no touching
or mocking or insulting. Just do your best. Everyone got the idea?”
A chorus of yeses came from around the
room.
John got up and stood in the middle of
the room. “I’m sorry you’re upset,” he began to an imaginary
person at his side. “I don’t want you to be upset, you’re a
really nice guy and you don’t deserve to be upset….”
“No pity parties!” I said.
“I’m just trying to help!” said
John.
“No pity parties or you’ll go to
quiet time,” I said.
“Yes sir,” said John. “I won’t
throw any more pity parties.” He turned back to his imaginary
friend. “I hope you feel better,” he said. “You’re a really
nice guy, and you don’t deserve to suffer. I wish everyone treated
you better because I know you’re special and deserve special
treatment….”
This made me angry, and my anger came
across in my impersonation. “That’s it!” I said. “Go to
quiet time!”
“Why?” asked John.
“I can’t tell you that,” I said.
“I’m not going unless you tell me
why,” said John. “I have rights, and you’re not going to
violate them.”
“You lost your rights when you came
in here,” I said. “Are you going or aren’t you?”
“That’s a good place to stop,”
said Amy. “Pretty accurate depictions of each other?”
“Yeah,” said George.
“What’s that?” said Roy.
“Yes ma’am,” said George.
Everyone else seemed to agree.
We actually spent the entire group in
reverse role-playing. Even if I disagreed with some of the acting, I
knew it was mostly fair on both sides, and it was entertaining. It
seemed to drain a lot of the tension out of the group.
Guy played Roy as Roy played Guy at
the last role-play session in group.
“I’d give up my mom for a nice
car,” said Roy.
Guy seemed shocked at this, and I knew
he must be mad after being given a role like that. Surprisingly, he
handled it well. “You should look after your mom no matter what,”
he said, “because she put you here and you have a duty to society.”
After they were done role-playing, Amy
asked how well the two had played each other.
“Very well,” said George.
“Just one complaint,” Alyssa said.
“Would Guy ever say something so inane, about giving up his mom
for a nice car?”
“I did, once,” said Guy.
This shocked all of us except for
George and the counselors.
“Why?” I asked.
“Cause,” said Guy. “I don’t
like my mom.”
“That’s sad,” I said.
Guy snorted. “If you had lived my
life, you’d understand.”
“‘Don’t judge me,’” said
Duane. “‘I’m just you in another set of circumstances.’”
I nodded. “True,” I said. “Very
wise.”
“I think you have a bit of wisdom in
you, Duane,” said Amy. “We’re going to have to bring it out in
you because I think you could wind up being a very good person in
life, and I think it’s sad that you gave up on yourself just
because you can’t do well in school.”
Duane smiled. “Thank you,” he
said.
“Isn’t that
right?” said Amy.
“That it is,”
said John. “Don’t give up on yourself. Ever.”
“Right when you
think everything’s ruined for life,” said Alyssa, “right when
you think nothing’s ever going to go right again, when you can’t
imagine things being fixed- that is the moment you can be most sure
when everything’s about to change for the better.”
“Go back to
school, Duane,” I said.
“Yeah,” said
George.
“All right, I
will,” said Duane. “But I got to get help if I’m going to ever
make it.”
“You can find
someone,” said John. “It’s not all that hard.”
“I’ll try to,”
said Duane.
“You will,”
said John.
“Aye, I’ll do
it,” said Duane.
Amy checked her
watch. “Well,” she said, “I’ve got to let you all go now, so
group ended.”
“Josh,” said
Roy. “Come with me.”
I thought I’d
done something wrong, and felt even more nervous when, walking out of
the common room, I realized Allen was with me. We walked to the
group room in the hallway. Roy opened the door and let us in. Allen
flipped the light switch, and the overhead florescent lights
flickered on. I noticed that one at the front of the room had burnt
out.
I sat down at the
table, but Roy pulled three chairs to the side at the front of the
room, and the three of us sat down there. We were directly below the
burnt-out light.
“Allen felt,
Josh,” said Roy, making eye contact with me, “that the two of you
had gotten off on a bad foot, and he doesn’t like it. He wanted to
sort through this, and so he asked to have a three way.”
I nodded. I
noticed that now that we were in a session like this, Roy’s usual
out of control firmness had dissipated.
“So I want you to
tell your sides of the stories, Allen first,” said Roy. “Allen?”
“I feel like you
took what I said as an insult,” said Allen, his robust red cheeks
swollen as he looked at me with that unshakable earnest expression,
his face tight like the rest of his body. “I didn’t mean to
insult you. I only want to help you grow. I think I might have
overstepped my boundaries….”
“No, no,” I
said, “I’m sorry….”
“Can he go on?”
asked Roy to Allen.
Allen shrugged,
then dipped his chin down once in a nod as he made a hand gesture.
“Fine with me.”
“Josh?” said
Roy.
“I’m sorry,”
I said. “I know you’d know very well about this kind of thing,
I’m only a beginner. But I can’t rule it out as a possibility
yet. And I’m not crazy.”
“I never said you
were,” said Allen. “But you do have illusions of grandeur that
could cloud all your development in the craft with falsehood.”
“I don’t know
what to believe,” I said. “I’m not sure anymore that I am
sane. I feel like I’m falling, and I can’t grab onto anything,
and maybe I’ll land somewhere nice, but I’m so lost. I don’t
know what it is I’m letting go of, or if I should. I need
guidance.”
“Let me be that
guidance,” said Allen.
I nodded, suddenly
overcome with overwhelming positive emotions. To this wonderful
person, I was grateful, and my grudge was rapidly fading. “I’d
like that,” I said.
“I know I can’t
expect you to just believe whatever I tell you,” said Allen. “If
you would, I probably wouldn’t want to teach you. But I can help
you gain experience, and test yourself and your experiences, and I
think that in time you’ll overcome all this. I want you to know
that I think you were meant to be Pagan, and maybe going through all
this is just Fate’s meandering way of bringing about the
inevitable. I’ll teach you anything you want to learn, and I’ll
start as soon as we get back, if you want to.”
“Thank you,” I
whispered.
Allen smiled at me,
his face suddenly relaxed. “No problem,” he said.
“So you two are
okay now?” Roy asked.
“Yes sir,” said
Allen.
“You both handled
this very well,” said Roy. “I didn’t even have to step in.”
“Do you think you
could stop harassing Charles?” said Allen suddenly, staring at Roy.
Roy actually looked
down in shock, then up again. He seemed more like he was purposely
acting angry than that he actually was. “If you got a problem with
my counseling you go get yourself your own degree and come and make
things right,” said Roy.
Allen smiled. “I
think I will,” he said. “They could use someone with his feet on
the ground.”
“I think we’re
done here,” said Roy. “Unless you’ve got something further to
say?”
“Actually I do,”
said Allen.
“Save it,” said
Roy.
“I won’t,”
said Allen.
“You two have one
minute by my watch,” said Roy, looking at his watch, “to get out
of here before I send you both to quiet time.”
“Fair enough,”
said Allen, but he didn’t move.
I got up nervously.
“Come on, Allen,” I said.
“I’ll use that
minute,” said Allen.
“Don’t push
your luck, wise guy,” said Roy.
“I’ve put up
with a lot, being gay,” said Allen, “and I can take a little
more.”
“You know that’s
a sin, right?” said Roy.
Allen didn’t look
angry, but the fire in his brows wouldn’t leave. “Forget that.
My fight here is over Charles. We all think he’s having a really
tough time, and nobody saw him after group.”
“Fine. You want
me to see him? I’ll have a long chat with him tomorrow morning….”
“You’re not too
good at your own rules,” said Allen. “It seems like it’s more
often that someone below a three goes without counseling than with.”
“Time’s up,”
said Roy. “Come with me.”
“Not yet,” said
Allen.
“If you want to
test my patience,” said Roy, “go right on with it, cause you’re
only digging your own hole deeper.”
“Come on, Allen,”
I said. “Don’t make it worse!”
Allen slowly turned
to look at me. “Others before self,” said Allen quietly. “Call
it your first lesson in magick.”
I nodded. “Roy,”
I said. “You’re not helping him.”
“I said, time’s
up!” said Roy. He grabbed Allen by the shoulder and tried to lift
him up, but Allen resisted.
“Do I have to get
a nurse and have both of you tranquilized?” said Roy. He started
walking to the door.
Allen and I looked
at each other.
“Come on,” I
said. “You’re not going to help Charles like this. You’ve
made him mad at you, no one listens when they’re fighting with
you.”
Allen nodded.
“You’re right,” he said.
We went to quiet
time together.
At the door, Roy
stopped and said, “I want you to know we’re all worried about
Charles. And if what we’re doing now doesn’t work, we’ll find
a way. Don’t worry about it. He’ll be fine, one way or
another.”
He turned to me.
“Josh, I don’t think you were a problem just now; you were trying
to get things cooled down and handled. I appreciate that. Go get
your meds and go to bed, or watch the Disney movie. It comes on
every Sunday, and it just got started.”
Feeling as though I
had betrayed him, I looked at Allen.
“Go ahead,” he
said.
I walked to the
common room. Meds were being passed out. I took mine. I noticed
the pills were easier to swallow this time.
I slept better that
night than I had since I’d gotten there. My mind was mostly at
peace, and I was used to the hard bed. I was so glad I didn’t have
a roommate.
It’s ironic, in a
way, when you consider the morning that followed.
Chapter XVI: Founding of
the Brotherhood
I remember waking
up with a funny feeling in my stomach. I had slept well, and I knew
that soon someone would wake me from my peaceful slumber. But I
turned over, and went back to sleep.
For some odd
reason, no one woke me up. I sat up in bed as it grew light, and
wondered what the Hell was going on.
“It’s bad,”
said Musashi in my head.
“What’s going
on?” I asked in my head.
“I don’t know,”
he said.
“Can’t you see
over there? You’re a spirit, not a person.”
“My vision is
blurry,” said Musashi.
“Can you prove to
me that you exist?”
“I don’t have
to,” he said. “You know I’m real.”
“But I don’t,”
I said.
“Then where did
your entire Handbook come from?
“Am I crazy?” I
asked.
“No,” he said.
“You’re perfectly sane. They just don’t believe.”
I pondered this for
a minute, and realized I’d forgotten the original topic of our
conversation.
“What were we
talking about?” I asked.
“I don’t
remember,” he said.
“If you’re not
simply a part of me,” I said in my head, muttering it very quietly
out loud, “then you can remember things I can’t. What were we
talking about?”
“Let me think,”
he said. I started feeling thoughts come into my head. I was trying
to figure it out without meaning to. I stopped.
“Well?” I said.
“I forgot,” he
said.
“Then you’re
not real.”
And then everything
came crashing down.
“If you’re not
real,” I continued, speaking in a normal tone now, “then I’m
not going to become immortal and destroy Hell, God isn’t real, or
any of this.”
It occurred to me
then that something was very wrong this morning. I went to my door
and tried to open it.
It was locked, of
course.
I could hear voices
in the hall, hushed so that I could not understand them.
Someone had put
scrubs by the door, and I put these on. I wondered if maybe someone
had decided the clothes I’d been wearing this whole time didn’t
smell so good today. The thought made me smile, but my heart wasn’t
in it. I was anxious; I just wasn’t sure why.
In a way it felt
good. It was nice to be on a different routine today. Exciting, in
a way.
Then someone
knocked on the door beside mine. I heard it open. Then someone
knocked on mine.
Amy poked her head
in the doorway. “Rise and shine,” she said.
And there was a
terrible stench that came as she did this. I heard a vacuum cleaner
or something similar start running. I realized it was from Charles’
room.
What had happened?
I got up nervously
and walked to the door. I teetered outside into the hallway, looking
around in sharp, short glances.
Allen was beside me
in a minute. He gave me a meaningful look, but I didn’t ask why.
In a few minutes,
everyone but Charles was outside in the hallway. No one checked
vital signs, no one took medicine- we just went. Only John was with
us. Roy and Amy stayed behind to talk to Dr. Johnson.
I was shaking as we
entered the dining hall. The adults were putting up their trays and
heading out.
I got one of those
plastic bowls of cereal, and dropped it by accident on the floor. I
picked it up and nearly dropped my tray. I got some milk and sat
down, but didn’t eat.
“What do you
think happened?” said Alyssa as she, George, Allen and I talked in
the corner. Duane was sitting with John. I wondered if John would
fill him in.
George shook his
head slowly. “I don’t know, but I don’t like it.”
I realized suddenly
no one had even touched his or her food.
“Maybe he went
home,” I said, but I knew it was just wishful thinking.
“You know he
killed himself,” said Allen. There was a pause. “It’s the
only possible reason.”
There was still a
pause after he said this, because none of us wanted to admit he was
probably right.
Alyssa started
playing with her food, then threw her fork down on the scrambled
eggs. It flopped up and came to a rest with a thud on the edge of
the plate.
“Well maybe he’s
all right,” she said. “He tried once, that’s why he’s here,
right?”
“Yeah,” I said,
“that’s right.”
Allen shook his
head. “You smelled that this morning?”
“What was that
smell?” I asked.
No one answered.
No one would meet my eyes.
“What was it?”
I repeated.
Alyssa took a deep
breath, fear in her eyes. “It was the smell of blood,” she said.
I shook my head.
“How do you know what blood smells like?”
“I knew a guy who
got shot once,” she said.
“And you’re
sure that’s what this was?”
She nodded,
avoiding my eyes. “Beyond a shadow of a doubt.”
“Why haven’t
they told us yet?” I asked.
“Oh, they will,”
said George. “But first they’ve got to take care of business.”
“What do you
mean?”
“I mean, if he
killed himself,” said George.
“But how could
he?” I asked. “They don’t even let him have a belt, much less
a knife.”
George shook his
head. “We’ll find out soon enough,” he said.
“Is anyone
eating?” asked John. He sounded tired.
“No sir,” said
George.
“Good man,”
said John. “Let’s go, then. We’ve got something to talk about
in group today.”
We all exchanged
glances, then put our trays up and followed John back to the common
room.
I felt very much
trapped again. I didn’t want to be here. I didn’t want to know
what had happened to Charles. I wanted to escape to home, where I’d
never have to worry about suicidal people or anyone with major
psychological problems again unless it was I.
As we filed into
the room, we found Alyssa and Roy waiting in the common room, looking
worn out and emotionally stressed.
As we sat down, Amy
spoke up. “We have some very bad news this morning,” she said.
“Last night, Charles broke the window and slit his wrists with a
shard of glass.”
Even though we’d
all already known in our hearts what had happened, hearing it
affirmed shocked everyone into silence. It was difficult for me to
believe that Charles was actually dead. I kept expecting to talk to
him again because I knew he’d need comforting soon.
I wanted to crawl
into a hole and stay there a while. Suppose we’d told them he was
suicidal? Would things have been different then? Would he have
lived? My head was whirling more with guilt than with anything else.
And I felt like it could have easily been me in his place. I was
suddenly overwhelmed with gratitude.
As we talked about
what had happened and discussed proper ways to handle suicidal
feelings, my thoughts turned from guilty self-incrimination to angry
accusation. They, these damn staff members, had taunted him. It was
their fault! He’d still be here, if it weren’t for them.
As I listened to
Roy say something he liked about Charles- that he was never mean to
anybody- I was enraged with the thought that Roy could act like it
wasn’t his fault, like he hadn’t had anything to do with it. The
freaking bastard!
I wanted to kill
him. Right then, I wanted to choke the life out of him. I wanted
him and John to pay for it. I wanted to burn this freaking hellhole
to the ground.
I was eaten with
thoughts of rage throughout the day.
At lunch, I was
about to sit at the main table when Allen waved me over. I sat with
him and Duane. Duane looked shaken.
“I want to talk
to you two about something,” said Allen.
“God darn, that
was my fault!” said Duane, slinging his hands downward to the table
from their cradle at his head, which shot up.
“Why?” I asked.
“I could have
told them. I’m the one who said not to tell them.”
“We all made that
mistake,” said Allen. He paused. “Hey? You want to make it
up?”
“I can’t,”
said Duane.
“I’ve been
thinking,” said Allen, “and I keep thinking something’s got to
change. Someone’s got to make something happen.”
“What are you
talking about?” I asked.
“Listen,” said
Allen. “This is what I want to do, this is what I say. I say we
form a secret society here and now, and from now on we fight for
improvement in this hellhole.”
In any other
circumstances, he would have been ridden off as coming up with
ridiculous ideas, but right then, all three of us needed something to
believe in.
“What’ll it
do?” said Duane, who still had some practicality left inside him.
“We’ll get John
and Roy fired,” he said. “We can do it.”
“How?” I asked.
But I didn’t care how in the sense of “Could it work?”, but in
the sense of “What can I do for my part?”
“We’ll find a
way,” said Allen. “I’ve got some ideas already. But, are you
in or are you out?”
“I’m in dawg,”
said Duane. “I’m all in.”
“I’m in, too,”
I said. “Now what?”
“Now we’ve got
to get some other people involved,” said Allen.
“I’ll talk with
Alyssa and George on the way to midday group,” I said.
Allen nodded. “You
do that,” he said. “On second thought….” Then he got up and
walked over to George and Alyssa, who were sitting down.
Fortunately, Guy and Roy were talking at the end of the line. The
two of them looked to be arguing, and so didn’t notice when George
and Alyssa followed Allen to where we were sitting. As Guy turned
around and started walking toward us, I caught his eye and signaled
for him to sit down at the other end of the table. He did, and Allen
pointed at Roy, who was turned around saying something in jest to one
of the lunch ladies. I heard her laugh.
Guy nodded.
“Can we talk
about it by ourselves?” Guy said. I listened to Roy respond with a
bit of antagonism, but also with great fatigue, and sit down with
Guy. “What do you want to talk about?” he asked.
But I didn’t hear
what was said after that because I turned my attention back to our
own conversation as Alyssa, George and Allen sat down.
“What’s up?”
said George.
“We’re forming
a secret society,” I said.
“He’s kidding,
right?” said Alyssa.
“No, dawg,”
said Duane. “We can do it.”
“He’s right,”
said Allen. “I know we can. We’ve got to. This hellhole isn’t
going to see another patient dead or miserable or even uncomfortable-
I want to change all that before I go.”
“You’re
dreaming,” said Alyssa.
“What do you plan
to do?” said George.
“I’ve got a few
ideas,” said Allen.
“Let’s hear
them, then,” said Alyssa.
“All right,”
said Allen, “here goes. I was thinking we could each write a
different letter to John, posing as Charles. The letter that looks
most legible, we’ll put it in Charles’ room. We’ll write with
our left hands so as to disguise our identities.”
“You want to
forge a suicide letter?” said Alyssa.
“Exactly.”
There was a pause.
“I’ll do it,”
said George.
“Alyssa?” I
asked.
She looked at me.
“Do you really think this is going to work, Josh?”
“We can try,”
said Allen.
Alyssa nodded.
“Suppose we get caught?”
“We could go to
jail,” said Allen.
Alyssa nodded. “I
guess it was a pointless question. Either way, count me in.”
“All right,”
said Allen. “Now listen. When you get to class, everyone write a
letter to John and Roy saying you couldn’t stand living with their
taunts anymore, and so you’re committing suicide. We’ll take
turns so Mrs. Joy won’t be suspicious or notice we’re all writing
with our left hands. Try to be discreet. Don’t draw attention to
yourself. I’ll go first, then Josh, then George, then you, Alyssa,
and Duane, you’ll be last. If Mrs. Joy notices what’s going on,
we all stop immediately and wait and do it in our rooms at night.”
“Wouldn’t it be
safer just to wait till night to begin with?” said Duane.
“No,” said
George. “They’ll check his room thoroughly, and we don’t want
to wait any longer than we have to.”
“What if they
already have?” said Duane.
“We’ll have to
take our chances,” said Allen.
“I think if Mrs.
Joy notices,” said George, “we should just use what we’ve got.”
“Agreed,” said
Allen. “That all right with everyone else?”
“Yeah,” I said.
“Yeah,” said
Alyssa.
“Yeah,” said
Duane.
“Yeah,” said
George.
“Good,” said
Allen. “If everything goes well, everyone get up after you’ve
written it and go blow your nose. Leave the papers in the trash can,
like you’re throwing them away, face down. I’ll pick them up on
my way out, then I’ll drop one off on the way to rec room. I’ll
say I forgot something.”
“Sounds like a
plan,” said Alyssa.
“We should write
another one,” said Duane. “A letter threatening to kill whoever
causes the next death.”
“We could get in
a lot of trouble for that,” said Allen.
“I’m in,” I
said.
“I’m in,”
said Alyssa.
Allen looked around
at us. “Everyone want to? You, too, George?”
“Yeah,” said
George.
“K,” said
Allen, “then we should write the first letter anonymously, like
Charles said he was going to kill himself because of Roy and John.”
“But then they
know where to look,” said George.
Allen’s eyes
twinkled. “No,” he said, “because we pose as a counselor.”
“Straight up,
dawg,” said Duane. “You are a pimp!”
“Thank you,”
said Allen. “But we’re all of us putting our necks out on the
line equally, and we all deserve equal credit.”
“Blessed be,” I
said, and the rest of the group actually murmured in chorus, “Blessed
be.”
“How do we
explain the silence about the suicide?” I asked.
“We say we felt
intimidated by John and Roy,” said Allen.
“You are a pimp,”
said Duane.
We laughed.
“Which is
perfect,” added in Alyssa, “because then we also have an excuse
for anonymity- the fact that we could lose our job for not speaking
out.”
We all sat back and
relished in the brilliance of Allen’s plan.
“So,” said
Alyssa after a pause. “We all write two letters- one posing as a
counselor saying we’re scared of losing our job or being
criticized, so we’re staying anonymous, but we know Charles tried
to kill himself- then we pose as the same counselor, saying we’ll
kill the next person who causes the suicide of someone- which gives
greater reason for anonymity.” She paused. “I think kill is a
little strong, how about press charges?”
“Definitely
better,” said Allen. “Then there’s not a manhunt or safety
inspection, and the powers that be are scared they’ll get sued, so
they don’t want to screw with us because they know it would only
make things worse.”
“What happens if
they find out?” I asked.
“We’re screwed,
buddy,” said Duane.
“Back up plan?”
I asked.
“Someone will
have to take the fall,” said Alyssa.
“And we’ll
decide on that when we get there,” said Allen.
I noticed Guy and
Roy had stopped eating.
“We’ve got to
be quick,” I said. “We’re leaving soon.”
I suddenly realized
no one had touched their food. Maybe we still weren’t hungry. Or
maybe we were excited.
Allen nodded.
“Write both your letters in Mrs. Joy’s class- quickly,
discreetly- me, Josh, George, Alyssa, then Duane. Write the name of
the person you go after on your hand. When the person returns to his
seat, you start writing. I take the letters after class. I’ll
leave them somewhere easy to find, cause now we won’t have to
pretend they were already there. Everyone understand?”
We all assented.
“We should have a
name,” I said.
“Yeah,” said
Alyssa. “If we’re going to do all this, we at least need a name
to go by.”
“All right,”
said Allen. “Any ideas?”
We all thought a
moment.
“Brotherhood of
Charles,” said Alyssa, “after Charles.”
Allen nodded. “Any
other ideas?”
“I like that,”
said George.
“So do I,” I
said.
“Thank you,”
said Alyssa.
“Everyone agree
to it?” said Allen.
We all assented.
“Good,” said
Allen; “then we are the Brotherhood of Charles.”
“Come on you
all,” called Roy. “You’ve had plenty enough time to eat, let’s
get going- and I don’t want any stragglers.”
We all got up with
a sense of purpose and followed him to midday group. But all of us
had our minds not on midday group, but on school.
Chapter XVII: First Task
of the Brotherhood
Mrs. Joy brought my
schoolwork to me as soon as I sat down. The room seemed to have
changed so much since Friday. Everything looked the same, but at the
same time it didn’t. Tragedy had struck, and I felt as though I
was a different man. I was still expecting to see Charles walk in
and join us, but at the same time I was keenly aware that that could
never happen.
Allen wrote first,
as planned. He didn’t look any too discreet to me, but Mrs. Joy
didn’t seem to notice. I spent more time watching him than I
should have. I was nervous and also excited. Yet the overriding
feeling was of purpose. We were doing this for Charles.
Allen got up a few
minutes later and tossed two pages of notebook paper with
particularly sloppy handwriting into the trashcan. I saw him sharpen
his pencil. Then he sat down again.
Nervously, I took
out a sheet of paper and scrawled down a note. I realized beforehand
that no one would be able to read it, and wondered why I hadn’t
told them this earlier. But as I started writing with my left hand,
I found out it forced me to take my time, and my handwriting actually
came across semi-legible. This is what I wrote:
I have been living with guilt since
Charles told me he was thinking about suicide. I should have told, I
know, and therefore, and for other reasons, this note must be kept
confidential.
Charles told me that he could not
take the taunting of him by Roy and John. He was miserable in here.
I wanted to help, but I felt intimidated by Roy and John. I tried to
bring it up to them, but they were so callous.
I know I should have done something
then, but now I’m trying to make up for it. I just thought I’d
let you know that Charles told me he was thinking about suicide
because of Roy and John. Please make sure these two don’t act this
way in the future. If it were me, I’d never let them inside these
walls again, but that is your choice, not mine, and the consequences
of your action or inaction is yours, not mine, as well. I am only
the messenger. Thank you.
-Anonymous
I was pleased with my note. I thought
it was pretty good- plus, it was fairly easy to read.
I tore out another sheet from my
notebook, glancing briefly at Mrs. Joy, who was turned to face her
computer desk at the moment, doing some official business.
On this next sheet I wrote:
I had something else to say. If
this continues, and nothing is done about it, I will fully
financially and legally support anyone who tries to press charges for
Charles’ death or for any other major transgressions, whatever
their results, in this institution. I make a good deal of money, and
I am not bluffing. Moreover, if it comes to that, I WILL SUE THIS
PLACE MYSELF. I guess in a way I’m making up for the guilt I feel
for what I let those two do to Charles. I AM NOT BLUFFING. IF
NOTHING CHANGES, I WILL COME OUT WITH THIS TO THE PUBLIC.
- Anonymous
I didn’t think that was as good, but
I knew it would be crystal clear that it was important. I actually
hoped my letters would be chosen.
I looked at the letters a minute,
making sure they were legible and not too recognizably my
handwriting, and walked to the trashcan. I blew my nose as I dropped
the paper inside the trashcan, then put the tissue down. I got a
nasty look from Allen, and started to bend down when he waved
dismissively.
I returned to my seat. I saw George
start writing with his left hand. He seemed to really be getting
into it. I could see my name on the inside of his left hand as he
wrote; he had followed the instructions to a letter.
I spent the rest of the class doing my
schoolwork and watching everyone else finish their letters. Toward
the end, Mrs. Joy turned back from her desk, and I went up to
distract her.
“I’m sorry about Charles,” she
said. “I know you really cared about him.”
“I did,” I said.
“I want you to know it was good of
you to try to comfort him,” she said. “I’m sure everyone in
this place wishes they’d spent as much time trying to help him feel
better as you did.”
“But… you weren’t even here this
weekend,” I said.
“Josh,” she said. “Nothing in
this place escapes me. Nothing.”
“But how did you know?”
“Josh,” she said, “everyone was
talking about it this morning. I had fourteen people stop me before
I got to my room.”
There was a pause.
“I see,” I said.
“You’re a good man, Josh,” she
said. “You keep up the good work.”
She smiled at me, and I felt better.
“Thank you,” I said. I smiled. “I will.”
“How are you feeling?”
“Much better.”
“Cause the first day you came in
here, I saw you all down and depressed- look how far you’ve come.
Look how far you’ve come.”
I felt warm inside. It was good to be
cared for, and to be in a state of mind that could appreciate it. I
suddenly didn’t want to lose contact with anyone here. A part of
me wanted to stay here indefinitely, with all the friends I’d made,
fighting the good fight and having heart to heart. I was beginning
to like it here.
But mixed in with my adjustment was
horror at what had happened. I was trying to keep the fact that
Charles was dead, that one of us should have done something, out of
my head. It was a constant taint on what would have otherwise been
emotional stability.
She was smiling as she always was.
“Don’t you think you’ve come a long way?” she asked.
“Yes ma’am,” I said.
“Good,” she said. “You go get
yourself a good education at USC. I wish you the best of luck in
life, Josh.”
“It’s not like I’m going
anywhere yet,” I said.
She laughed, and I joined in.
“I know,” she said. She paused.
“Did you finish your school work?”
“No,” I said.
She gave me a critical but friendly
eye. “You’d better get to work then,” she said.
I nodded. “Yes ma’am.” I
thought a minute. “Can you help me with it?”
“What are you having trouble with?”
“Radians,” I said. I actually was
doing radians, but they were insanely easy, and I didn’t realize
till she was crouched at my desk that this was actually going to
work.
I kept her there for the rest of the
period, feeling bad for wasting her time but knowing it was
necessary.
Then Roy came to the door.
“You done here Mrs. Joy?” he
asked.
“Just helping Josh,” she said.
“I get it now,” I said. “I just
multiply this by 3.14, and it cancels out.”
She grinned at me. “I knew you
could get it.”
I felt really, really bad for that,
but at the same time I still knew it had been necessary.
“Let’s go then people,” said
Roy.
We followed him out.
I was worried Mrs. Joy would see Allen
get the letters out of the trash can, but I realized then that she
was sitting with her back to it, on her computer, typing. She could
type pretty fast.
I looked back at Allen. He was
sliding the letters into his right sleeve; he was wearing scrubs
today.
“I’ve got to get something from my
room,” said Allen.
“What do you need?” said Roy.
“I just need to get my journal,”
he said. “I want to write an entry in it.”
“You can do that on your own time,
Allen,” said Roy. “This is group time. Wait till tonight.”
My heart raced some. I saw Allen look
indecisive a moment, then come with us. I didn’t know what was
running through his head, but I could tell he was as worried as I was
that we’d be caught. How long could anyone inconspicuously hide a
stack of paper in the sleeve of loose scrubs that strongly resembled
pajamas?
I was trembling slightly as we walked
to the rec room. I knew Amy would have picked up on it, but Roy
seemed not to notice.
When we entered, I sat down next to
Allen at a table.
“Roy,” said George, “can I play
you in Blitz?”
Blitz was the name of a
videogame-system football game.
“If you think you’re man enough to
take me,” said Roy.
George grinned, but I could tell there
was something behind his smile. “Who said you were man enough to
take me?” he asked.
“You’d better have some serious
plays to back up that mouth,” said Roy. They sat down to play the
game.
Duane and Guy sat down behind them to
watch, and Alyssa sat in front of me.
“Duane’s still got pockets, you
know,” said Alyssa.
Allen waved a hand dismissively. “I
can handle it.”
“It’ll be easier in gym,” I
said. “You can sit in a corner and teach me meditation or
something. We can ask to be left alone.”
Allen nodded. “We’ll do that.”
He looked over to George where George was playing Roy in NFL Blitz to
the sound of video-game cheers and grunts and shouts. “I’m going
to have to thank him later.”
“That’s our veteran,” I said.
“I think he knows everything about this place.”
“I get that impression myself,”
said Alyssa.
Allen suddenly put his head in his
hands. “I still don’t see how it happened.”
“None of us do,” said Alyssa.
“That’s why we’re doing this.”
Allen looked up. “It won’t bring
him back.”
“It might make it easier for the
next person who comes in here,” said Alyssa.
“You’re not having second
thoughts, are you, Allen?” I asked.
Allen shook his head. “No.” He
paused. “I just feel like there’s something more we can do, and
I don’t know what.”
“We all feel like that to some
extent,” said Alyssa. “But you have to remember, we’re not
God.”
Allen nodded. “True. Or a god.”
Alyssa laughed. “I forgot you were
Pagan.”
“What religion do you follow?”
asked Allen.
Alyssa shrugged. “I’m not really
religious. More like agnostic.”
“You don’t think you can know?”
“More like I don’t really care,”
she said. “I’ll find out when I get there.”
Allen nodded. “Safe assumption.”
He smiled.
He took his hands down from his head,
and the papers slid out, making quite a noise.
Roy turned around. “What was that?”
he asked.
I was about to try to scoop up the
papers really quick, but Allen grabbed my arm and stopped me.
“I accidentally knocked over a stack
of paper,” he said. “I’ll clean it up.”
“You better,” said Roy.
Allen scooped up the papers and looked
at them skeptically. He looked at us for advice.
“Pants,” whispered Alyssa.
Allen gave her a dubious look.
“No one’s going to care,” I
said.
Allen nodded, and pulled the front of
his pants, bound by elastic, forward, then stuffed the papers inside.
He put his shirt over the part that was sticking up. It was
somewhat noticeable, but you’d have to be looking for it to find
it. I hoped I was right on that.
Alyssa got up noisily and got some
papers from the back, where a bookshelf stood with tons of art
supplies on it. She spread them out on the table, then stacked them
up again, noiselessly.
Allen gave her a stiff thumbs up.
Alyssa returned the papers to the
back, all except for one, which she began to draw on using oil
pastels she took from the back.
I guess the overriding visual element
of the rec room was clutter. Everywhere you looked, you would see
some artsy supply: string, magazines, tape, scissors (lots of them,
too), oil pastels, crayons, markers, computer paper, drawing paper,
and even things like tin or foil or origami books. The room was
fairly small, too, made to look even smaller by the amount of stuff
jammed into it.
I watched as Alyssa drew. She did a
pretty fair representation of a horse, though I didn’t realize what
it was at first. Of course, that’s the mark of any great artist:
s/he starts with one small part, a part that isn’t recognizably
anything, draws a further outline so that it still isn’t anything
recognizable, and then finally makes it into something beautiful,
with all the marking of exactly what it represents, in a way you
never saw coming till near the very end. Alyssa was a little like
that.
“That’s good,” I told her.
I realized I’d been watching
intently for the last ten or fifteen minutes, and that Allen was now
drawing something, too.
Alyssa held hers up. “What do you
think?” she asked.
“Wonderful,” I said.
“Beyond any doubt,” said Allen.
“Now what do you think of mine?” He held up a smiley face drawn
across the whole page. We burst out laughing.
Allen grinned. “Autographs for a
dollar,” he said.
“Which is convenient,” said
Alyssa, “seeing as we can’t keep money in here.”
Allen nodded. “I’ll take a check,
too, if you want.”
“How about a French kiss?” she
asked.
“That’s membership dues,” said
Allen.
Alyssa and I laughed.
“But to be fair,” I said, “you’d
have to take it from the guys, too- and the guys outnumber the girls
quite a bit.”
Allen grinned. “Fine with me.”
“Oh yeah,” I said. “I forgot.”
Allen laughed. “It’s nice to be
around people who can forget something like that. At school before I
came here, everyone picked on me and told me I was going to Hell and
none of them ever let me forget it.”
I frowned. “Did it ever occur to
you, Allen,” I said- “not to be a pessimist or anything, but did
it ever occur to you that nothing’s going to be different when you
get back?”
Allen shook his head. “I hope
you’re wrong,” he said.
“But if I’m not?”
“I don’t know what I’ll do,”
he said.
“You’re not going to try to kill
yourself again, are you?” asked Alyssa.
“I don’t know,” he said.
“Allen,” I said. “We’re
making this group to stop things from happening like they did to
Charles. If we’re worth anything, we’re going to make sure you
don’t make the same mistake he did.”
There was an outburst from the game
system. Evidently someone had just made a really good play.
“You’re going down now!” I heard
George say.
Then the announcer came on:
“Touchdown!”
More commotion.
Allen still hadn’t answered.
“Allen,” said Alyssa, “please,
you’re the head of this group- if it has a president, you’re him.
Can’t you just put up with it?”
Allen looked grave. “I’ll do a
protection spell when I get back,” he said, “but I don’t know
what to do other than that.”
“It’ll be enough,” I said.
“And if it’s not,” said Alyssa,
“can’t you just be thick of skin? Or transfer to another
school?”
Allen’s eyes lit up. “I could do
that,” he said. “That’s a great idea.”
“Listen,” I said. “Allen, I
want you to keep in touch when we leave, okay?”
Allen looked at me with appreciation
exuding from his eyes. “I’ll do that,” he said. “Thank
you.”
I wanted to hug him and say it would
be all right, but I knew that would lead to quiet time for both of
us, and that was something I did not want to risk.
“It’s better when you get to
college,” said Alyssa. “They’ve got Gay-Straight Alliance and
stuff like that.”
“Don’t rain on their parade,
Allen,” I heard Roy call.
“Oh fuck you!” hollered Alyssa.
Roy turned to face her, anger, hurt,
and fear in his eyes. I could see there, in the windows to his soul,
that there was guilt in his heart. But I don’t think he’d
figured out yet how to change his manner.
“I’m the only one in here,” he
said. “But I will….”
Just then the door opened, and in came
John.
“Sorry I’m late, Roy,” he said.
He looked at Alyssa, who was standing now, looking angry and beat.
“Is something wrong?” he asked.
“Yeah,” said Roy. “Alyssa just
cussed me out. Take her to quiet time.”
Alyssa ran her hands over the table,
sending a box of markers to the floor, where it spilled, along with
paper and a few magazines that had been scattered on the table. Then
she turned the table over long ways and hurled it to come to a rest
on another table beside the game system.
A nurse came in then, and John grabbed
Alyssa by the arm.
I stood.
I heard Allen’s voice come from
behind me in a screamed whisper: “No!”
I was burning. I wanted to help
Alyssa. I loved her, and I knew she was going to get tranquilized.
“Don’t be stupid,” Allen told me
as Alyssa collapsed on the floor. “There’s nothing you can do.
You’ll only make it worse.”
The nurse pulled down Alyssa’s
scrubs, then her panties, and shot her in the butt with a needle.
I heard her sobbing, screaming, “It’s
your fault! It’s your fault! You bastards!”
John looked away, whether from
discomfort or guilt I don’t know, but I felt no pity for him. When
a man’s life or happiness is on the line as it is with psychiatry
and counseling, there is no room for excusing incompetence.
“Come with me,” said Roy.
He led the rest of us to the gym.
“Make sure she cleans it up,” I
heard him tell John as we shut the door behind us. I wondered what
would happen to her. I hoped she cooled down before she got into any
more trouble.
On the way to gym, I heard Allen’s
papers pop as though suddenly un-bent.
“What was that?” said Roy.
Pause.
“Sorry,” said George.
“What did you do?”
“I passed gas,” he said.
“Next time excuse yourself,” said
Roy, “or hold it till you’re alone.”
“Yes sir,” said George.
In gym, Allen and I sat alone, as
planned.
“Some experiments,” he said. “I
have some for you.”
“It’s all right,” I said. “I
know they’re not real now.”
“You do? How? I hope this isn’t
just because of what I said.”
“It’s not.”
I heard a basketball bounce behind me;
Allen was in the corner near the back where the door was, and I was
facing him.
“Let’s get our game on,” said
Guy.
“You two wimps against me,” said
Roy.
“Why didn’t we tell Guy?” I
asked.
“Just never found time to tell him,”
said Allen. “We’ll bring him in on it sooner or later, though.
But tell me how you decided your voices weren’t real?”
“This morning,” I said, “while
we were waiting to start the day, I wound up getting in a
conversation with Musashi. I asked him to tell me something I didn’t
know, but he couldn’t, even though all he had to do was go outside
my room to find out what was going on. Then when I forgot what we
were talking about, I asked him, and he didn’t know either. That’s
when it all clicked: none of this is real.”
Allen beamed at me. “I’m proud of
you, Josh,” he said.
“Thank you,” I told him. I
paused. “You know, it’s kind of funny....” I heard my own
voice trail off.
“What’s funny?” said Allen.
“I guess I always expected to find
someone crazy in a mental institution- more like, lots of crazy
people. But the thing is, the only person in my whole visit that
wasn’t completely sane was me.”
Allen laughed. “You’ve made a
fast recovery,” he said. “Most people take a lot longer to
overcome illusions of grandeur, much less be comfortable talking
about it. It really is something awesome.”
I looked at him suddenly because it
had just clicked in my head. “You did a spell for me, didn’t
you?”
Allen shrugged, avoiding my eyes.
“Yeah,” he said. “Sort of. I did a healing to heal your
mind.”
“Thank you,” I said.
“I should tell you,” said Allen,
“that it wasn’t completely ethical. Technically I’m supposed
to have your permission before I do a spell or even Reiki- but I knew
you’d say no, and that didn’t dissuade me. What do you think?”
“You’re right,” I said; “I
never would have let you do anything to influence my mind.”
“In retrospect?”
“In retrospect,” I said, “I’m
grateful.”
Allen smiled. “Thank you,” he
said.
“Thank you,” I told him.
“You’re one of the good guys,
Josh,” said Allen.
“So are you.”
We paused, and for the first time
since I’d gotten here, I actually felt joy.
I really liked Allen. He was a good
guy. I wasn’t sure if he had a crush on me or not, but then, I was
sure he was used to handling being attracted to straight people. I
really didn’t know how that ever worked out; I’d never loved a
lesbian before, and that was the only thing I could think of to
compare it to. But I knew I’d never ask him. I knew it wouldn’t
help how he felt. And I was also pretty sure that he just wanted to
be friends. It was a funny thought, though: it was possible for him
to love me, but impossible for me to love him as anything more than a
friend. But the warmth I knew we both felt in that moment was not
romantic love; it was a river that ran deep, moving and churning and
changing- and that river was friendship.
Eventually we got on with my lessons;
he led me through some meditative exercises to help with
visualization and concentration, then gave me a college-quality
lecture on spell craft.
He also taught me how to make a
talisman. “Raise energy,” he said, “like I showed you before-
then send it into the object, and visualize your need.”
I picked up a quarter off the floor.
“Will this work?”
“Aye,” he said, “it will.”
I put it in between my hands and
visualized energy coming into me. Then I willed it into the quarter,
visualizing home. I did this for three or four minutes, then
stopped.
“What did you make it for?” Allen
asked.
“To get me home,” I replied, “in
time for graduation.”
“What did you visualize?”
“My house,” I said.
“Better add in a cap and gown,” he
said.
I nodded, and repeated the steps, this
time visualizing a cap and gown over my house.
“Come on you two,” I heard Roy
call. I felt oddly ripped at, like I’d been yanked from one place
to another, and got up with Allen to follow Roy, Guy, George and
Duane to the door. Alyssa met us there, looking half-alive. I could
tell she wouldn’t be functioning well for a while.
At dinner, I asked Alyssa, “What
happened after we left?”
“Not a lot,” she replied with a
worn-down voice. She yawned. “They just had me clean up
everything and go to quiet time.”
We were all sitting together this
time, and the conversation didn’t go far past that. John had
joined us now.
After dinner we walked to evening
group. Allen motioned for me to come to the back with him.
I walked beside him in the rear.
“Distract them if they turn around,”
he said as we walked down the teenager ward.
I nodded, tense, but Roy and John
still walked on.
I saw Allen look behind him out of the
corner of my eye, but no one was watching, evidently, because he slid
two sheets of paper under the door to what had been Charles’ room.
I noticed as he did that they were mine.
I beamed at him.
“They were the best ones,” he said
simply. “You’ve got a knack for writing.”
“Thanks,” I said.
And as we walked into the common room
to start group, I felt like together we could conquer the world.
There would not be another Charles, not literally, not
metaphorically.
In the Wiccan words Allen was teaching
me: “So mote it be.”
Chapter XVIII: Birthday
Party
It’s the funniest thing: I had been
so caught up with what had happened to Charles, and then the forming
of group, that I had forgotten that that day was my own birthday.
But after evening group, my parents took me down the halls toward the
entrance. As I walked, I felt the urge to run- I knew I was going in
the same direction I would walk in when I left this place, and it was
tearing me up inside that I wasn’t leaving.
I actually stopped as my parents
turned into the little room adjoining the entrance room. I stared
out those doors at the blackness outside. In my head I could imagine
cars, schools, smiling people- I imagined freedom. And there, with
its odor wafting into my breath, I wanted more than ever to just be
outside- just to walk outside, feel the wind at my back, the sun
beating down on me.
“You coming, Josh?” asked Mom.
I nodded and turned to face her,
walking into the room. Her face was full of concern.
We were in the same little room in
which I had talked to the nurse before being fully instated. At that
moment, and the moment when I was looking outside the glass doors,
the outside world seemed more real than it had since I’d gotten
here. There were presents on the table, wrapped in gift bags with
plenty of colorful tissue; for a moment, I knew I had a life outside
of these walls, that these walls were not the confines of my soul and
my mind as they had come to seem, but that they were only temporary
boundaries, stumbling blocks, to a large and complicated world. It’s
hard to explain how in less than a week I had come to think of my
life in terms of group therapy, counselors, hardship and a whole new
set of friends, but I had. The friends I had met in here- they were
my friends. Jessica was a girl from another life, a life that did
not exist except in a distant corner of my mind.
But here, with my parents before me,
all that had changed- here, my life was real, palpable, waiting to be
renewed. And I knew, I somehow knew, that when I got out of here,
everything would be okay again.
“Happy birthday,” my mom said. I
heard her sniff.
“Happy birthday, Josh,” said my
dad.
I looked up at them, suddenly aware my
eyes were moist. I was more grateful for this act of kindness than I
had been for any other, even Allen’s healing, in a long, long time.
“Thank you,” I said.
Mom started to hug me, and I retreated
instinctively.
“What’s wrong?” she asked.
I shook my head. “Sorry, I’m so
used to not being allowed any PDA.”
“What’s that?”
“Public display of affection,” I
said. “It means we can’t touch. But no one’s watching here,
so it doesn’t matter.” I hugged her, and then I hugged my dad.
“Mom, Dad,” I said. “I love
you.”
Mom sniffed. “I love you too,”
she said.
“I love you too, Josh,” said Dad.
I parted from Mom, shook hands with
Dad, and suddenly felt a sense of happiness.
“I appreciate it,” I said.
“You didn’t think we’d forget
it, did you?” Mom asked.
“I don’t know,” I said. “I
guess I forgot myself.”
“Why?”
“Other things on my mind,” I said.
“A friend of mine committed suicide last night.”
“Oh my God,” said Mom, cupping a
hand to her mouth.
“Why?” said Dad.
“He was sick of life,” I said.
“He couldn’t stand life before he got here, and when he got here,
everything got worse. Counselors picked on him, same as they do
everyone, only it almost seemed worse- and he couldn’t take it.”
“Listen, Josh,” said Mom. “I
want this to be a happy occasion. It’s your eighteenth birthday.
Can we forget everything- the cutting, your friend’s suicide, the
last week, your grade- can we just forget all that, just for today?”
I nodded, smiling at her. “Sure,
Mom.”
Mom scooted one of the bags to the
side to reveal a small cake.
“You want cake first or you want to
open presents first?”
“I’ll eat the cake first,” I
said. A tinge of excitement ran through me- I was about to eat the
first good food I had had in a week.
She cut me off a slice- it was
chocolate with white icing- and gave it to me on a paper plate. Then
she cut off a slice for Dad, and finally one for herself. We had so
much to talk about, but so little of it had anything to do with happy
conversation- so Mom asked me a lot about what I wanted to do with my
life, and eventually I told her about my conversion to Wicca, which
got me onto Allen, which got me onto his helping me overcome my
voices.
“I should tell you, Josh,” said
Mom, but Dad cut her off.
“Are you sure he should know now?”
asked Dad.
Mom nodded. “He’s overcome it,”
she said. “I think he can handle it.”
“Handle what, Mom?” I asked.
Mom looked me in the eye, grabbing and
holding my hand from across the table. “Josh,” she said, “you
have schizophrenia.”
I jerked back instinctively, throwing
the fork across the room together with a bite of cake.
“What?” I said.
“You have schizophrenia,” she
repeated.
“That’s impossible,” I said.
“I’m not crazy.”
“No, you’re not,” said Dad.
“You’re just a little unwell.”
I thought of the song Unwell, by
Metallica. I didn’t spend hours staring at the ceiling. I didn’t
really hear voices. This was different. Maybe I was just retreating
into denial and falsehood, but I was not schizophrenic. There was no
way.
“I can’t be,” I said. “I’m
perfectly sane. I’m not crazy.”
“Josh,” said Mom, “you’re
going to have to accept it. Dr. Clellum thought you had it, and the
psychiatrist here is certain.”
“Fuck him!” I said in a loud
voice.
“Sh!” said Mom. “Calm down.”
I wasn’t schizophrenic. I wasn’t.
“Mom,” I said. “I think they
diagnosed me wrong.”
“There’s no doubt about it, Josh,”
said Dad. “You are schizophrenic. Sooner or later, you’re going
to have to accept it.”
“What does this mean for me?” I
asked.
“It means you have to be on medicine
for life,” said Mom.
“Bull,” I said. “I don’t need
medicine.”
“Yes, you do,” said Mom. “Your
dad’s insurance covers it till you’re 22. After that you’ll
have to find another way of paying it. But we’ll find a way, Josh,
okay?”
I was calmed slightly, but my heart
and head were still racing.
“It’s all right,” said Mom.
“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have told you. I thought you could
handle it. Finish your cake sweetie.”
“I’m not hungry,” I said. I put
my face in my hands. I felt like I’d been sitting in a guillotine
for days, with someone torturing me, and my head had just finally
been chopped off.
“But how did you decide your voices
weren’t real?” Mom asked.
I relaxed some, putting my hands back
by my side to look her in the face. “I asked them to tell me what
we’d been talking about before, when I couldn’t remember- and
they couldn’t tell me.”
Mom had a look of pride in her eye,
and if I thought I had mistaken it, she dispelled any disbelief when
she said, “I’m proud of you, Josh.”
“I’m proud of you, too, Josh,”
said Dad.
“Thank you, Mom, Dad” I said. But
I still didn’t believe I was really schizophrenic. There had to be
some mistake.
“Why don’t you open up your
presents, sweetie?” said Mom.
I nodded. I shoved the thought of my
diagnosis out of my head. I could think of that later. For now, I
should be celebrating: it was the most important birthday of my
life, and it was mine, and it should be a happy occasion, like Mom
had said.
I grabbed one of the presents near me
and tore out the tissue paper. Inside was a book, called Overcoming
Depression by someone who had both been a psychologist and, in
younger years, a mental patient. Reading the back, I instantly fell
in love with the book. It said it addressed the different types of
depressions and anxieties that came with different illnesses, as well
as the author’s own experiences, what worked for him, and accounts
from other patients.
I must have spent five minutes
flipping through the book, honestly feeling as though I’d been
waiting for this exact book for a year now, before Mom asked me to
open my other presents.
I nodded. “Thank you,” I said.
“I take it you like it,” said Dad.
“Yeah, I do,” I said.
I opened the next bag, a bag with
Christmas bells and ribbons painted into the cover design, which had
a background color of, naturally, green. Inside was a thick
leather-bound journal with shiny-gold edges to the pages, my name in
gold on the outside, and tanned, glossy pages to write on.
“We thought,” said Mom, “that
you might want to record what you’re going through right now, as
something to keep you on the right track in the future, to remind you
of what it’s like, and maybe to pass on to your children, so they
can know what you went through and be helped through it themselves,
if they wind up with schizophrenia.”
I didn’t like the ending of what she
said, the implication again that I was schizophrenic, but I liked the
idea.
“I’ll have to write in it
tonight,” I said, “before I forget everything that’s happened
to me.”
Mom nodded. “Open the third
present,” she said.
I had liked the presents so far, and
had a tough time believing that this next one could compare. But
when I got rid of the massive amounts of tissue paper, and unwrapped
the little oblong box inside, I was love-struck. Inside the nice
blue box, in its leather interior, was, strapped down by tiny elastic
bands and a thick glossy white ribbon, a fancy pen. The body was
gold, shiny, with a cap that I took off. That’s when I realized it
was a fountain pen. The tip was gold, supported by black plastic,
all coming from the shiny gold body. It had an arrow-clip, and when
I unscrewed the top, I saw a refillable black plastic container for
the ink with a gold button on the side. Dad took out a bottle of ink
from his pocket.
“I couldn’t put this in there with
it without ruining the surprise,” he said, and unscrewed the lid.
He held out his hand for the pen, and then he showed me how to fill
it up by pressing the button on the side and then releasing it while
the tip was submerged in ink. He also showed me how to wipe the tip
off, then gave it to me.
“Thank you,” I said.
“Yep,” said Dad.
“Well I could go for some more
cake,” I said, and the three of us started eating again. It would
click in my head later that they had stopped eating for me, but at
the moment, any negative thoughts were gone from my mind. In the
back, there in the recesses, was the thought that I had been
diagnosed with schizophrenia, and that that might be true, and that
if it was, I was going to have a hard life- but at the time, I knew
even less about relapses than I had known about mental institutions
before coming here, and so, for the time being, my head was clear of
such thoughts. I really did feel love for my parents, good, honest,
affectionate love, like I couldn’t remember feeling in so long.
It wasn’t need, like it had been when I’d first gotten here, nor
was it kept down, like it had been when we were fighting- it was
vibrant. It was fearless. And it felt good.
I parted from my parents in such a
good mood that the fear of our being caught and punished, I could
only imagine how severely, for our forgeries was completely gone from
my mind.
But when the nurse dropped me off, and
I was alone in the common room, Allen nodded at me for me to come
over.
I was in such a good mood I really
wasn’t very discreet. “What’s wrong?” I asked.
“Nothing,” he said. “Come
here.”
I nodded and joined him on the couch
in front of the TV.
“Guy got blamed for the letters,”
said Allen. “They know it wasn’t a counselor.”
I went stiff. “What are we going to
do?”
Allen shrugged. “Well, it can’t
obviously work anymore, but Guy talked to us all, and he agreed to
take the blame.”
“He can’t!” I said. “It
wasn’t even his doing. He didn’t even know!”
“I know,” said Allen. “And I
wasn’t going to let him take the blame for it initially either.
None of us were going to let him do that for us. But he made a very
good point: his life is screwed, any way you look at it. He’s
going to jail, for God knows how long, any way you look at it. At
best, he’ll be in a group home- but that’s dreaming. He’s
screwed, Josh. He can’t be any worse off. So this really isn’t
going to hurt him as much as it would hurt us. I wish there were
some way to repay him, but all I could think of was to tell him he
had no clue how grateful we were. We all agreed on that.”
“So this is the end of the
Brotherhood?” I said.
“Maybe,” said Allen. “Probably.
But I just know, I just somehow know, that this isn’t the end of
the fight, and I really think we can still win.”
“You’re dreaming, Allen,” I
said. Then instantly: “I’m sorry.”
“No,” said Allen, “you’re
right, I know. I just can’t think of letting this bullshit keep
happening.”
“I hear you, Allen,” I said.
“Hey, if there’s ever anything you need help with, if the
Brotherhood turns out it can work, that it does have a point, you let
me know, all right?”
“Aye,” said Allen. “You can
count on it.”
I reached over to shake his hand, but
he drew back.
“Oh yeah,” I said. “Sorry.”
Wonderland was over. Back to the real
world.
“My parents got me a journal,” I
said. “I’m going to go write in it.”
Allen nodded. “Tell me if it gives
you any ideas,” he said.
“Count on it,” I said, standing.
I walked toward my room.
In my room, I wrote of the failure of
the Brotherhood, as well as the past few months of my life. In the
end, it took me about 12 pages to cover everything. I felt very
satisfied, but for once did not feel like going to bed. Someone
knocked on my door.
“Yes?” I asked.
The door opened, and a nurse came in.
“You missed meds,” she said. She brought me the pills and a cup
of water, and I took them. Strange: there was not even a thought of
hiding them in my cheeks now. She checked my mouth anyway, but I
think she knew she didn’t have to.
I heard music coming from outside, and
went to the common room in search of its source. A small portable
stereo was playing relaxing, New Age music. Everyone was sitting
around in a circle, listening.
I sat down, too, and listened.
“What’s the occasion?” I asked.
George looked at me incredulously.
“We’ve been doing this every night,” he said.
“You have?” I asked.
“You didn’t know that?” said
Allen.
“I never had any idea,” I said.
“Quiet down,” I heard Roy say.
Suddenly I was bitter. Roy was going
to get away with how he treated Charles, he and John would keep
taunting people like that, and nothing was going to be done about it.
But come next morning, something was
going to happen.
Chapter XIX: A Toast
I remember waking up, just knowing
something had changed. It was in the air- like there was something
positive. It was in my mind- like everything was going to be all
right, like something had changed. It was early morning still, and I
spent most of it pondering whether or not this was a premonition. I
thought yes, but I was scared of being wrong and feeling like a fool,
so I postponed certainty. I remembered what Allen and Ashley had
taught me, and sat down on the floor meditating.
I focused on wanting to know why I
felt good, on what it meant, and on what, if anything, had happened.
And that’s when it dawned on me,
like trickling water suddenly shooting through the faucet. Our
letters had worked.
I got up, started pacing. Suppose
this, too, was an illusion of my mind.
The voices weren’t real. Neither
were the magickal techniques I had originally learned. I wondered
if, maybe, none of religion was real. What, after all, was the
difference between a God that spoke to a prophet, and a God that
spoke to a “schizophrenic”?
That got me to wondering about that.
Was I really schizophrenic? I couldn’t be. This was a one-time
thing. That wasn’t premonitory, I knew- I just knew in my heart
and in my soul, or rather hoped in my heart and in my soul, that this
was the only time in my life I would go through all this. More like
I dreaded returning to how I had been so much that I could not
believe it would ever return.
And I didn’t want to be crazy.
Maybe it would be safer if I just avoided religion at all, at least
until I was older and more stable.
But I knew I had come to love this
broad world of occultism and religion so much that I wouldn’t drop
it unless it proved false.
I wondered if Allen would think this
premonition were real.
Someone banged on my door.
“Breakfast!”
My heart raced. It was a new voice.
I was beginning to believe in myself again. I just hoped that this
time my faith was not misplaced.
But then again, what would I ever
accomplish if I constantly nit-picked anxiously at a reality I was
never certain of? If a drummer wasn’t sure his drum existed, and
tried constantly to make sure it was really there, what could he ever
accomplish? He certainly wouldn’t be able to play a tune.
So then I decided that in the end, I
should be careful, but not too paranoid. I’d trust other people
who believed in the occult, people more experienced than I, to teach
me and to guide me toward truth- but I wouldn’t doubt constantly
that what I was doing was real or deem it fantasy, until, logically,
that was the valid alternative.
As I was making my bed, I thought on
this more, specifically about my premonition.
As I finished making my bed, I stood
back, looking at it blindly, and decided that I would let this
premonition determine it. If the premonition came true, then some of
this must be real, and I would have to figure out what. If it
didn’t, then I could kiss this world of the occult goodbye, and
become an atheist like I had been for most of my life.
I hoped, too, that I was right- if Roy
and John had been fired, things would be better. I wanted that. I
wanted to know not so much that we had made a difference, but that
things were going to change- and if they’d been fired, both those
statements were true.
I walked out my door. There was a
large black man, who introduced himself as Mike, and Amy. John and
Roy were nowhere to be seen.
My heart was racing.
“Where are John and Roy?” I asked
Amy.
“They’ve been fired, Josh,” she
said.
I wanted to leap for joy, to shout my
pride, to exuberantly hug her, even though I knew she probably didn’t
see it as a good thing.
But I turned to the wall, and, unable
to contain myself, got back into my room and got on my knees, crying.
From that position, prayer came so naturally that I was addressing
the Goddess out loud before I even realized what I was doing:
“Dear Goddess, thank you, thank you,
for letting this happen, for coming into my life. I want to worship
you till I die, I want to celebrate your ways, I want to work for the
good of the world, and I want to do it all with you by my side. I
love you. Even though I have only known you so short a time, you
seem so close now. I thank you for putting Allen in a place to teach
me, for keeping me alive, for watching over me because I know you
have. I want to be with you when I die, and I want to know that it
won’t be till I’m an old man. I want to never come back here.
I want to never come back.”
I sobbed, and was unable to continue.
I rose silently, tears dripping to the floor. Then I wiped my eyes,
blew my nose, and heeded the call to breakfast. I walked with my
friends to what I was sure was the beginning of a bright and
beautiful day.
At lunch, Alyssa took me aside while
everyone was going through the line and everyone’s back was turned.
She looked me in the eye, and said, “We did it, Josh.”
I nodded. “I don’t think we can
ever repay Allen.”
“Hey, we used your letters,” she
said.
She looked both ways and around, then
said, “Josh…”
“Yeah?”
I could hear trays clinking in the
background.
“You kind of pushed me into
something earlier….”
“What? What did I do?” I asked.
I was feeling too good to be worried, though.
“Into not doing this,” she said,
and she grabbed my head and kissed me on the lips. For a period of
about three or four seconds, we shared an exhilarating kiss,
passionate, and made only more so by the fact that if we were caught
we would both be in a lot of trouble.
I think she would have kissed me
longer, but I looked up and saw Amy starting to turn, so I pushed her
off of me quickly. Amy didn’t wind up turning the rest of the way
right then, but it was enough for me.
“Don’t tell me you’re going to
opt out of a French kiss with me just because you could wind up in
quiet time?” she said.
“Alyssa, listen,” I said.
“You don’t like me, do you?” she
said. “That’s why….”
“No!” I said.
“I understand…” she began,
starting to turn away, but I grabbed her and turned her toward me.
She looked into my eyes, and oh, were her eyes beautiful.
“You have beautiful eyes,” I said,
without thinking.
She burst out laughing. “So you
like me or don’t you, Josh?”
I realized Amy, who had been bringing
up the rear, was just now making it through the line. I started to
go through.
“Listen,” I said. “I don’t
think it’s a crush. I think it could be, but I think it’s more.
I knew I liked you from the moment I saw you, Alyssa.”
“You did?” she said.
“Yeah.”
I got a few cartons of juice
absent-mindedly, and got pancakes that I knew would be awful, along
with a bowl of cereal that would, thankfully, be decent.
“So what’s the deal, Josh? You
going to go out with me?”
I looked at her and smiled. “I’m
going to do better than go out with you,” I said. “Wait till we
sit down. I want to talk to you in private.”
I saw the lunch lady give me a careful
eye, and I said, “Not that it’s anything secret, Alyssa. I just
don’t like sharing my feelings in front of everyone.”
“I understand,” said Alyssa.
We sat down by ourselves in the middle
of the room. As we did, I saw a counselor I hadn’t seen before,
together with a grungy adult patient in scrubs, get up and walk to
the door.
“So,” said Alyssa. “Spill.”
I could tell my eyes were gleaming. I
had a sense of mischief, and I knew it would work.
“Alyssa,” I said, “I want to
take you to prom.”
“Josh,” she said, “that’s
tonight.”
“I know.” I grinned.
“Hold up, you’re not planning on
both of us leaving today, are you?”
“No,” I said, “not permanently.”
“What’s the plan?”
“Listen,” I said. “This is what
we do. We tell our parents we want them to take us out to eat
tonight. Get money from them somehow. We’ll both sneak off, and
meet at prom.”
“How the hell do we get home, Josh?
Enlighten me.”
I thought a minute. “You know, I
really haven’t got that one figured out yet.”
Alyssa’s eyes lit up. “My mom’ll
give me money for just about anything. I can tell her there’s a
store here, and I need money. And,” she added, grinning
mischievously, “for the pure thrill of it- we meet at the little
road you turn into to get here.”
“How do we get a ride?” I asked.
“Call a taxi,” she said casually,
“with my mom’s cell phone.”
Now I was feeling excited. “Alyssa,
you realize this is doable?”
“It’s not just doable,” she
said. “It’s going to happen.”
“Alyssa, when we get to prom, I am
going to kiss the hell out of you.”
She grinned. “I look forward to it.
And here I was worried you’d never make a move. Oh wait, that’s
right, I made the move.”
I laughed at my own expense. I don’t
think I could have done that before I’d gotten here.
“Alyssa,” I said. “Let’s
promise each other something. Let’s promise each other that after
we get out of here, we’re never coming back.”
“So mote it be,” she said slowly.
“Oh wait, watch those Harry Potter colors go flying.”
“Alyssa, I’m serious.”
She looked me in the eye. “Sorry.
You must know by now I don’t take things very seriously. What were
you saying?”
“I was saying, let’s promise each
other we’re never going to come back here.”
From the table behind me, at the end
near the exit, I heard George’s voice say: “I’m not coming
back here, I know that.”
“I’m not either,” said Allen.
“I’ve decided I’m going to learn to deal with this crap people
push on me. I can handle it. I’m never coming back here.”
“Me neither,” said Duane. “I’m
quitting my gang and I ain’t never going to go near it again.”
I turned around, standing, and lifted
my cup of orange juice on impulse.
“To the finest community of friends
I could have ever hoped to find, even if it weren’t a mental
institution,” I said; “to the ideal that we’re not coming back
here,” I continued, looking around at everyone- “and to all of
us, cause every one of us is someone special, and we’re all staying
outside these walls till we die natural, mind, natural,
deaths. To all of you- I am grateful to have met such wonderful
people.”
“To Josh,” said Allen.
“To Josh,” said Guy.
“To all of us,” I muttered, and we
drank our orange juice as though it were the finest wine Bordeaux had
ever produced.
“I’m proud of you, Josh,” said
Amy as I sat down. “You’ve come a long way.”
“Thank you,” I said.
A few minutes later, we went to
morning group.
Chapter XX: Guy
Morning group was fairly carefree. Guy
wasn’t there, so I thought maybe he was leaving. But toward the
end of group, he walked in with a bald police officer, and my heart
plummeted with fear for what I knew must be about to happen.
“I want you all to know I appreciate
how good you’ve been to me,” he said. He was standing there, the
short Asian kid who could have stood his own in almost any fight,
clearly painfully aware that he had lost the biggest battle of his
life.
“Guy….” I said.
“Guy is going to prison,” said
Amy. “He didn’t want any of you to know till it was time for him
to leave.”
“All of you,” said Guy, “I want
you to live straight, and do like you said at breakfast- don’t come
back here.”
“Sit down, Guy,” said Amy.
Guy looked at the officer, who nodded.
Guy sat down, looking severely
disheartened and earnest.
“Before you go, Guy,” said Amy, “I
want everyone to go around and say something nice about you. Can we
all do that?”
“Yes ma’am,” we all said.
“Josh, why don’t you start?”
“Guy,” I said, “I think even if
you were misguided, your heart was always in the right place. I can
think of multiple sacrifices you’ve made since you got here, and
even when you came in, it was a sacrifice that led you to being here.
I know you’re not going anywhere good, but keep in mind, you’re
a good guy, and you deserve better, and you’ll get better when you
get out. Just don’t lose hope, man. There’s always hope.”
“Thank you, Josh,” said Guy. I
knew he wouldn’t cry, but his face looked about as close to it as I
imagined it would ever get. “You have helped me find my way some,
since I lost it, and I am grateful to you. I know when me, you and
Ashley were going at it, you were pretty brave talking to me after I
threatened to beat you up. I know you looked out for me, and I feel
like you had more faith in me than anyone I’ve ever known. I’m
going to miss you, dawg. I’m going to miss you. If you see Ashley
again, tell her I said hey.”
“You were a good friend to her,” I
said. “She couldn’t have asked for better.” “Thank you,”
said Guy.
“George?” said Amy.
“Guy,” George began, “I’ve
seen you grow since we got here, and I just want you to know, and I
hope you can remember this, it’s not being in prison, it’s not
being in a mental hospital, it’s not where you are that matters”-
he pointed to his heart- “it’s where you are in here.” He
paused. “Keep that in mind, man. I know you can make it through.
It’s not the end of the world- you just have to make best with what
you’ve got, and no matter where you go, you’ve got to remember
the capability to be happy is always in you, you just have to draw it
out. I love you, Guy.”
“I love you too,” said Guy. And
that was all he said. But his face was bent into gratitude.
Duane was next. “Guy, I don’t
know you that well, but everyone here seems to think very highly of
you. All I got to say is, whatever happens, you still got your
second chance when what’s done is done. I got time in here, and
then when I get out, I’ve got another chance at life. Just keep in
mind, some day, you’re going to get that chance, too- and that’s
all I got to say dawg, just keep that in mind.”
“Thank you,” said Guy.
Allen was next. “Guy,” he said,
“you and I both know you’ve helped all of us out more than we can
openly say. Just remember, in the end, you did the selfless thing-
and just think, as hard as things are going to be, someday, you’re
going to have so much good karma, this’ll all seem just like a bad
dream.”
Guy nodded. “I hope you’re
right.”
Allen and he locked eyes, as I could
tell by looking at Allen’s gaze. “I am,” he said, “beyond
any shadow of a doubt. Good things will come- maybe not today, maybe
not tomorrow, but they will. You have my word on that.”
Guy nodded. “Thank you.”
Allen smiled at him, his face as stiff
as always, but filled with warmth and pain. “Words are cheap, Guy-
but they’re also priceless.”
They looked at each other another
minute, and then Alyssa said in true form, “Guy, forget all this
solemn stuff. You just go in there, do your time, and come out with
clean hands and a happy heart. You got to think, this place, here,
is like prison. Were you happy here?”
“Not really,” said Guy.
That seemed to stall Alyssa, but she
went on in a minute anyway. “Well I am. So you go get you the
best days you can have, and like George said- you just keep on
pushing along, and sooner or later you won’t be reaping wheat,
you’ll be eating bread. And you’re going to be happy again.”
She paused, then became solemn. “And Guy?”
“Yeah?”
“You have no idea how freaking
grateful we all are for knowing you.”
“Is that all?” asked the officer.
“That’s all,” said Amy.
“They’ve all done better than I ever could have- just keep your
chin up, Guy. You’ll make it through. Things always get better.”
But I could tell Guy wasn’t
listening. He was looking at all of us. And as he turned to go with
the police officer, he suddenly sank to one knee, then stumbled
forward. And then, and then, he did cry.
I could hear him blowing his nose into
a tissue the officer provided him with all the way down the hall, and
I could see something shiny fall to the floor again and again.
I was so sorry for the fact that he’d
taken the blame- but he’d taken it willingly, and I’d be a fool
to mess it up. He was screwed either way, anyway, as he’d said.
But all the same, I thought it should
have been us, not him.
And maybe in the public record, Guy
went down as a violent criminal, but in my book, he went down as a
hero.
Time passed that day, and my parents
agreed to take me out to eat. I started to feel better by that time
partially because I had decided not to let my fears or guilt get in
the way of having a good time tonight.
Alyssa told me her parents had also
agreed to take her out, and I knew this was meant to be.
It was meant to be- it was meant to be
for Ashley. For anyone who’d ever been in a mental institution.
For Guy because he’d never get to go to another prom. I imagined
in my head that it was he going out tonight, that he’d be dancing
with Alyssa instead of me- and I felt better about it.
And then the moment came. For dinner
that night, my parents were going to take me to Chinese. And as I
walked out the mental institution, outside for the first time in
nearly a week, I felt such an exhilarating sense of joy and freedom
that I knew tonight was my night. It was my night to shine. It was
my night to live, to make up for the deadness of the past months.
And whatever happened as a result, I would have no regrets.
And even though Alyssa wasn’t going
to get to be dressed up, I knew she’d be the most beautiful girl
there, and a goddess in my eyes.
Chapter XXI: Prom
As Dad drove Mom and me out of the
parking lot, Mom asked me, “Where do you want to go, Josh?”
I thought a minute. “Mom,” I
said, “why don’t we go somewhere close to here? I want to have
as much time to eat in there as I can.”
Mom hesitated. “Sure, Josh,” she
said.
Outside, darkness was falling. I
estimated that it was nearly 8:00.
“There’s a little Mexican
restaurant along the road here,” she said.
“That’s fine with me,” I said.
There in the car, as we drove, I
thought more about “my” illness. I wanted to know, suddenly,
what schizophrenia caused. Maybe that would help me shed some light
on the subject.
“Mom,” I asked, “what does
schizophrenia do?”
“It causes voices and paranoia,”
said Dad, “and a lot of emotional problems. It’s a chemical
imbalance in your brain.”
“It’s just like any other
illness,” said Mom; “you have to treat it, and it will get
better.”
“How long is it before the pills
kick in?”
“It’ll take some time, Josh,”
said Mom.
We turned into a brightly lit
sombrero- roofed restaurant.
“But Mom,” I said, “I’m doing
much better now. Suppose that means I’m not schizophrenic?”
“You have something, Josh,” said
Dad, and I realized he was right.
There was a pause as Dad parked, then
we all got out and Dad went on.
“The psychiatrists in that place
know what they’re doing. I’m sure it wasn’t a misdiagnosis.
We’ve been reading up on it. What it does is a lot like what’s
been happening to you. You should do some reading, too, when you get
out.”
I really didn’t feel like doing a
ton of research. Besides, if I was living it, didn’t that mean I
was the ultimate source?
“Are you really doing better?”
asked Mom.
“I’m doing a lot better,” I
said.
Mom chuckled. “I’m glad, Josh,”
she said. “I’m really glad.” I could almost hear her and Dad
smiling from the front seat. “But recovery takes time.”
“I’m doing better, Mom, I swear,”
I said. “I’m almost beginning to like it in there.” I paused.
We all took in our
surroundings for the first time. It was packed. We started walking
toward the door.
“So what’s
new?” I asked.
“I’ve decided to go back to school
to get my Master’s,” Mom said. “I’m going to be a
counselor.”
“That’s awesome!” I said.
“You’d be a good one, Mom.”
“Thank you, Josh,” she said.
I opened the door for my parents, and
then I followed them inside.
There was a waiter there behind a
counter, with a huge waiting line of mostly teenagers, and a myriad
of tables and booths spread throughout the establishment, some areas
blocked by walls, all lit brightly with Mexican music playing in the
background. I tried to think of how I was going to do this.
Truth be told, I was nervous. But I
was also excited. Prom! This was my last chance to go to prom; I
was going to make it.
And then I formulated a plan. It was
a simple plan, and it didn’t have the grandeur of all the crazy
things we’d be doing later tonight, but it would work.
I sat and waited in line with my
parents. We talked about Mom’s new job, my dad’s firm, my school
friends, how worried people were about me, the crazy things my
parents had told some of my friends- visiting a dying aunt who had
leukemia, believe it or not, was one of their better ones. We
laughed and had a good time about all that, and I felt so much more
at ease with my parents than I had in a long, long time- since even
before any of my illness started. I was not afraid to love them, and
love them openly. I was not annoyed with them, or mad at them, or
feeling belittled by them. And they seemed to understand as well as
I did that no, we didn’t have to fight.
We had a good time talking, especially
in the festive atmosphere, but I did not forget the night’s goal.
Finally a waiter came and led us to our seats.
The waiter handed us our menus, Dad
and Mom on one side of our red-cushioned booth, me on the other side.
My plan revolved around one thing:
Dad had always had bad stomach acid. If he still had some in the
car, this would work.
I knew I didn’t want to keep Alyssa
waiting too long- especially not on the property of the very place we
were breaking out of- so I knew I had to maximize how convincing I
was.
I stood, hand at my stomach.
“What’s wrong?” said Mom.
“I’m feeling sick,” I said.
“I’m going to go to the bathroom. Hey, Dad- are there antacids
in the car?”
“Yeah,” said Dad.
“Can I get the keys?”
Mom, who was on the outside, handed
hers to me.
“Thanks,” I said. “Which way’s
the bathroom?”
“It’s by the door we came in at,
Josh,” said Mom, sounding concerned.
Perfect.
I walked slowly at first, then sped up
after Mom and Dad were out of view, their backs being to me. I
walked out the door as inconspicuously as possible, knowing that if
the waiter told Mom and Dad he’d seen me leaving when they asked
about me, it wouldn’t matter- they were expecting me to go outside.
When I was out of the light of the
restaurant, there in the gathering darkness, I started running. I
prayed and prayed I wouldn’t get lost.
My nervousness gave me energy as I ran
down the side of the road, which was busy. I ran, and I ran, and I
ran. When I got tired, I kept running anyway. Buildings passed by,
too slowly for my mood. I wanted to go faster. I had to go faster.
I was scared the whole time that
someone would stop me and ask me where I was going. After all, I was
wearing scrubs- anyone who knew much about mental institutions would
be able to spot me as a runaway in a heartbeat.
But no one did. I’m sure that that
night, several people pointed at me from out of their car windows to
their children and said, “You see him? If you see someone who
looks like that, avoid him.” I was sure even more people were
saying to their friends, “Dude, do you think he’s high? Look at
that outfit!”
But I didn’t care. It wasn’t
about what people would think about me. It was about me, about
living a good life, about going to prom like I deserved to, about
winning against my illness….
There, I had admitted it. I was
schizophrenic. If I weren’t, I wouldn’t have thought that I
could talk to spirits; I wouldn’t have mistaken video game magic
for real magick; I wouldn’t have spent hours on hours wishing I
were dead. There was something wrong with me: I was schizophrenic.
But in a way, it was a gift: I had gotten shoved into my face rather
brutally this idea that reality was not clear cut. What so many
people did not understand was, they were just as mistaken as I had
been. So many people believed in things as I had, without proof,
without doubt- and that was the mistake I had made, a mistake I knew
I could never make again.
I had learned that reality was not
absolutely clear, and that it wasn’t something you could take for
granted; how many people never learned those lessons? How many
people never felt joy just to be outside? I’d say a lot didn’t.
As I neared the hospital, I felt joy
surging through me, and this gave me the little surge of strength I
needed.
When I got to the front gate, I
collapsed by the bushes and panted hard, sucking in breath. My
energy was gone, and I felt like I was going to die. I finally
managed to get up and look around.
I didn’t see Alyssa anywhere.
I started walking around, looking for
her, calling her name softly.
Oh dear, let this work, I prayed
silently. Goddess, Jesus- whoever, let this work.
I heard the bushes rustle, and jumped.
Then I went over to it, heart racing, saying Alyssa’s name softly.
A squirrel jumped out and ran toward a
tree, obviously away from me.
“Alyssa!” I moaned.
I was sure they must have cameras
here, and that if I stayed here much longer, I’d be caught. Mom
and Dad surely knew I’d run away at this point; I wondered how
badly they’d chew me out for this. I imagined they’d be mad as
Hell.
But if this would only work, if it
would only work, it would be worth it.
I saw someone running down the street
the opposite way I had come, and ran toward the figure. Hopefully
this wasn’t some random person who would mistake me as someone
posing a threat.
But as I drew nearer, she called
my name: “Josh!”
“Alyssa!” I said.
We stopped in front of each other
awkwardly, then I threw my arms around her and kissed her on the
lips. She opened her mouth, and our tongues played in each other’s
mouths. It wasn’t the kiss that was so great: it was who it was
with.
Finally we drew back, and she said,
“I’ll call a taxi right now. But I think it would be better if
we met it at the gas station down the road.”
I nodded. “We don’t want anyone
knowing we’re breaking out. The further away the better.”
“Do you have a phone book?” she
asked.
“No,” I said.
She swore.
“But they’ll have one at the gas
station,” I said.
She made a gesture of satisfaction.
“Yes! That’s what we’ll do. Come on.”
We started running for the gas
station.
“Do you have the money?” I asked
her.
“I’ve got a hundred fifty dollars.
I had to take more than I said I was going to take, but I don’t
think she’ll notice till it’s too late.”
“You stole it?” I asked.
“Yeah,” she said. “I had to,
Josh.”
I nodded. I didn’t like it, but I
hadn’t done my parents much better.
She stopped in the parking lot of the
gas station, panting under the bright lights. The smell of gasoline
was nauseating. The lot was vacant. A restaurant was next door.
“You go in,” she said.
“All right,” I said. “I’ll
need the cell phone.”
She handed it to me. “Here. Just
be discreet.” Her eyes lit up suddenly, and she pointed. I
looked. There was a pay phone next to the gas station door, with a
phone book beneath, in a little metal tray.
“You have any quarters?” I asked.
“You’ll have to get it from
inside,” she said.
I stiffened. “Don’t you think
they’ll realize where we’re from?”
“There’s no other way,” she
said.
I nodded. I walked to the door and
opened it, trying to be calm. I opened it, and a little bell rang.
I passed by a few shelves of junk food, and then I got an idea.
I walked to the back and looked
around. The humming of the refrigerator gnawed at my insides.
I looked at the prices till I found
one that was 99 cents. Perfect.
I got it, and went to the counter.
The man behind it gave me a suspicious
eye, but I went ahead and bought it.
“Who are you with, sir?” he asked.
And this time around, I got the Alyssa
thing down. “I’m on a field trip,” I said.
“Field trip?” he said. “With
school?”
“No,” I said. “Look, I’m
embarrassed. I’m on a field trip with a group from… it’s
really personal,” I said.
The man grinned. “I understand.”
“Don’t tell anyone, all right?”
I said.
“Oh from what I hear, I’m bound to
confidentiality.” He looked out the window, and his grin faded.
“Where are your friends and your cars?”
“We walked,” I said.
He finished ringing up the soda and
took out the change.
“If you say so,” he said, but I
could tell he wasn’t convinced.
“They’re at the place next to
here,” I said, “at the restaurant.”
“Eating out?”
“God, you have no freaking clue how
hard it was to get them to let us do that,” I said. “They don’t
let us do anything, and man, this is the best night since I’ve
gotten here. Things are getting better, fast.”
The man leaned in close and whispered
as though there were someone listening. “You didn’t hear this
from me,” he said, “but that place is about to go through major
changes. They think the patients are going to sue, and they’re
trying their best to hush things up. I hear they sent one guy to
jail, but they’re not even sure it was him. But you didn’t hear
that from me- my brother would kill me.”
“Aye,” I said, “I can promise
you that, so long as you don’t tell anyone, Mr. Johnson,” I said,
looking at his nametag and wondering how the two could have been so
different, “about my coming here, cause I’m supposed to be in
solitary confinement right now.”
He scowled.
“Have a nice day,” I said, and
walked out.
Outside, Alyssa was waiting. I handed
her the coins, and she made a call. The phone book was already
opened in front of her.
“Yes, I’d like to get a ride,”
she said. Pause. “Uhm, at the BP station on…” She turned and
looked, then cupped a hand over the phone and asked me, “What
street is this?”
“Marriott,” I said.
She nodded. “At the BP station on
Mariott,” she said into the phone. Pause. “We want to go to
Marty’s Pizza.” Pause. “15 minutes? We’ll be here, thank
you.”
She hung up.
“Okay,” she said. “Now we’ve
just got to wait.”
“What time is it?” I asked.
“Shoot,” she said, “you can go
ask that guy what time it is, but I’m not risking it.” She
turned to me. “I have so much I want to tell you, so much I want
to say, and I really don’t know where to begin or how to say it.”
I instinctively closed in on her, and
kissed her.
I felt such happiness and love
sprouting from where it had been bottled up inside me. I loved this
girl, and this felt so good. We had so much in common, and yet we
were different enough that she was so interesting. She was awesome.
She was pretty. She was brave. And I loved her.
“I really, really like you,” I
said.
“Hell, I love you,” she said.
“I love you too,” I said.
“And we’re both going down
tonight,” she said. “But first, we’re going to really live.”
I heard a car pull up, and I turned.
It was a police car.
I grabbed Alyssa’s hand and pulled
her off toward the edge of the building, which we hid behind.
“They’re not taking me unless it’s
by force,” said Alyssa. “I’ve been waiting for a night like
this.”
I wondered how she’d changed from
wanting to be in the mental hospital to wanting so desperately to
leave. I asked her in a whisper.
She laughed. “I still like it
there,” she said. “I just wanted to go to prom. And I wanted to
go with you.”
Her mouth was close to mine again,
though I wasn’t sure how, and I kissed her again.
Then we sat in tense silence- tense
for me, anyway- she looked totally unafraid.
I heard another car driving up.
Looking around the corner, I saw the police officer going inside and
a taxi cab driving up.
“Let’s go,” I said.
We walked out to the taxi cab, and got
in. It was musty, old, and run down. Even the outside had looked
rather dinghy.
Alyssa shut the door behind her. She
said, “To Andersonville.”
The man looked at us incredulously.
“This isn’t a bus or a carriage, your highness,” he said. “And
Andersonville ain’t no Marty’s Pizzeria.”
Alyssa pulled out a $50 bill. “If
you can get us to the Andersonville Civic Center, I’ll give you
this.”
“And what else? How about 60
dollars?”
“I’ll give you 80,” said Alyssa.
“Sweet Jesus, we got a hot one,”
said the cab driver, and he pulled out of the parking lot.
I looked out the back window. The
police officer was walking back to his car. I saw him flick
something shut, and I suddenly realized that he’d only stopped for
gas.
I glowed.
“So you two get stuck here or what?”
“There’s a keeping to your own
business fee in that $80, sir,” said Alyssa.
“Have it your way, bitch,” said
the cab driver.
“She doesn’t mean to be mean,” I
said. “It’s just…”
She pinched my arm.
“No, I understand,” said the
driver. “Criminals, low-lives- I get them all the time. But I’ll
tell you now, it never works out.”
We drove on in silence.
I took off my seat belt and wrapped my
arms around Alyssa. It felt so good to have her there in my arms,
and we wound up cuddling for the whole ride.
I lost track of time, and when
darkness faded to bright lights, I was actually shocked when the
driver said, “We’re here. Get out and go do something decent
with your lives.”
Alyssa and I got up. Alyssa sat up
and handed him the $80 eagerly. “I can’t thank you enough, sir,”
she said. “Imagine what it would have been like if you hadn’t
gotten to go to prom your senior year. We’re very, very grateful.”
“And still will be when whatever
shady business you’re doing gets caught, I’m sure,” said the
driver.
“We will be,” said Alyssa. She
climbed out of the cab. “Have a good night!”
I got out after her.
I looked into Alyssa’s eyes. “You
ready?” I said.
“Hell yeah,” she said, and we
started walking for the door.
The Civic Center was a huge concrete
building with a parking lot currently brim-full. We walked to the
door, wherefrom loud music was coming. A red carpet greeted us, and
we walked up to the ticket table, catching a glimpse of the interior.
“We’d like two tickets,” said
Alyssa.
“Names?”
“Joshua Hammonds and Alyssa
Johnson.”
As she finished the exchange, I looked
around.
Space-themed decorations filled the
room, which had enough volume to fit a couple dozen round tables with
chairs, a dance floor with a strobe light, and a neat, orderly snack
bar, which had a white tablecloth and tons of orderly, neat food.
Alyssa started walking, and I walked
with her. We went to the floor and danced. It was a slow song, and
the dance was sexual, romantic, and joyful all at once. I felt like
I could cry for joy. We looked into each other’s eyes the whole
time, and at the end of the dance, I kissed her.
I tried to think of how long I had
known her, and thought that for such a short time, it must be
impossible we could already be in this deep. But I knew we were. In
some way, we had been since I’d first seen her.
“Josh?!” I heard a girl’s voice
say from behind me.
I drew back and closed my eyes. It
was Jessica.
“Hey!” she said. “Last I heard
you were in the mental institution? How’d you get out?”
“Calm down bitch,” I heard Alyssa
say. “He doesn’t have anything to say to you.”
“Oh I’m sure he doesn’t, but I
got something to say to him,” said Jessica.
I turned to face her.
“No,” I said, “you don’t. Now
go away.”
She looked more entertained than
anything else. “Wait….” She looked at our clothes in alarm.
“You….”
“We broke out,” said Alyssa. “But
we’re not fully recovered yet, so you might want to back away- I
wouldn’t want anything crazy to happen.”
Jessica backed away some.
I laughed. “Thank you, Alyssa,” I
said.
“You two belong in that place, you
know that?” said Jessica.
“Yeah, we do,” said Alyssa, “and
you belong in a box on the street, you tell me which is worse.”
“Josh’s got a new girlfriend,”
said Jessica. “Let’s see how long we can keep this one, Josh.”
“Certainly longer than I’d want to
keep you,” I said.
People were looking at us now, I
realized.
“Let’s go, Alyssa,” I said.
“Off somewhere alone.”
Alyssa nodded, and we started walking
away. Jessica followed, but Alyssa turned around and took two steps
toward her, and she stopped. Then we continued.
When we got to the corner, by
ourselves, she kissed me on the cheek and then started crying.
“What’s wrong?” I asked.
“I just feel like I’m getting so
close to you,” she said, “and I don’t even know if it’s a
good thing. I feel like I know you, but I don’t know how I can,
and I don’t want to hurt you….”
“You won’t hurt me, Alyssa,” I
said, “and if you do, it’s okay. And that’s how mental
hospitals are. People get close. Fast.”
Alyssa shook her head. “But that’s
not what I’m getting at, Josh.” She stopped.
“What are you getting at?” I asked
her.
“It’s just, with my dad, I was so
scared it would be like that, but now that I’m in love, I feel like
I want it, not like that, but like you and me could have it, and I
know the bathrooms here carry…”
It was dimly beginning to dawn on me
what she was talking about.
“…and when I’m next to you it
feels so good, and I’m too down right now to care.”
She looked up at me with wet eyes.
“You want to?”
“If you’re ready,” I said.
We walked back to just in front the
doors outside the main room of the civic center.
“Come on,” she said. “I hear a
slow song, and I want to hold you to me close, cause this is the
night all high school was leading up to.”
“What about graduation?” I said.
“Graduation’s going to be boring,”
she said. “It’s all about prom.”
“What are we going to do when we get
caught?” I said. Reality was very quickly catching up with me.
The fairy tale had to fade, and I knew we’d both be in so much
trouble it was insane.
“Worry about that later,” she
said. “Right now I want to hold you.”
She put her arms around me, and we
started dancing to the muffled music coming from the dance floor. It
occurred to me then that she was crying, and I asked her, “What’s
wrong?”
“I just feel so comfortable with
you,” she said. “I don’t mind opening up.”
“That’s how I feel with you,” I
said. “Like I could tell you anything, and not worry about it.”
“We’re moving way too fast,” she
said.
“I know,” I said, and then I
added, “but I like it so much, if I could stop it, I wouldn’t
dream of trying.”
“It’s just,” she said, “I
guess I don’t know what I’m going to do about me and you.”
My heart gave a twinge. I didn’t
know what I wanted, but it had something to do with her; that was all
I knew.
“Don’t worry about it,” I said.
“We’ll keep in touch.”
“But I don’t even know where I’m
going after this,” she said. “My parents are divorced, and my
mom’s got so much debt. I just never started thinking about life
after Dad went to jail. Now I wonder.”
“Hey, Alyssa,” I said.
“Yeah?”
“Let’s forget about all that.
Like you said, let’s worry about it later. For tonight, it’s
about freedom, it’s about prom, it’s about high school and living
life, and it’s about us.”
She drew back and smiled up at me. I
kissed her again.
When we were done kissing, she took my
hand and led me to the dance floor. The music grew louder as we
opened the doors, and by the time we reached the floor you could feel
it vibrating through your whole body. Suddenly I was on a high. I
felt like I’d been dreaming for a year, and now I was finally
alive. I felt intensely happy, like I hadn’t before today in a
long, long time. I was free. And maybe this night would end in
tragedy, but it wasn’t about how the story ended- it was about how
it got on before then.
“Alyssa,” I said as we walked
toward the floor. “I want you to know something.”
“You love me?”
“That, too,” I said, “but that’s
not what I’m talking about.” Having gotten ahead of her, I
turned around and faced her, holding both her hands in mine. “For
all that you’ve gone through, and still stayed sane and all- you
are the strongest girl I’ve ever known.”
She kissed me on the cheek, then
returned to her regular posture, beaming up at me.
“You’re going to make a great
boyfriend,” she said.
“Thank you,” I said. “Just
promise me, if we go bad, we’ll still be friends.”
“That’s something that scares me,”
she said. “I don’t want us to wind up parted as friends because
something happened to our relationship.”
“Do you believe in the permanence of
marriage?” I asked.
She looked away. “Not especially.”
I frowned. “Well, I don’t care.
I still love you, and I still want you, even if I know maybe I’m
getting into something I shouldn’t get into- I know I can’t stop.
You’re so irresistible.”
“Thank you,” she said. “It’s
not like we’re likely to get married, anyway.”
“Yeah, I know.”
“But it’s good to know you’re as
serious as I am.”
“Thanks,” I said.
The song that had been playing ended,
and a new song started. It was also a slow song.
I hugged her to me, and danced there
on the floor. We rotated to the side, and I caught a lot of movement
at the door out of the corner of my eye.
I looked and froze.
There were about four police officers
standing at the entrance talking to the woman behind the desk.
“Police,” I said.
She drew back quickly, and looked,
biting her lip.
“If we’re going to go down,” she
said, “let’s at least go down in style, k?”
I nodded, heart thudding. “So mote
it be,” I said.
She laughed. “Follow me.”
We walked up to the officers as the
woman behind the desk pointed in our direction. Two of the police
officers came toward us; the other two blocked the door outside.
“Can I help you officer?” said
Alyssa. “You look awfully lost.”
“What’s your name, ma’am?”
asked the officer.
“Uhm,” said Alyssa, “see, that’s
hard to say. Since I flew over the cuckoo nest, I forgot my name,
among other things, like what it’s like to ride in the back of a
police car. Do you think you can help me?”
The officer was staring at her, while
the other one, who had stopped in front of us where we were squaring
off a little ahead of the table, looked around as though skeptical
that we were who we said we were.
“Ma’am, do you think this is some
kind of joke? You’re in serious trouble. Big time.”
“That’s the funny thing,” said
Alyssa, “I thought they were letting us go. Your imaginary friend
told me we were medicated and could go free now.”
People were looking and pointing now.
Some were openly staring, but all were keeping their distance.
“I don’t have an imaginary
friend,” said the officer.
“Whoops! I forgot, he’s my
imaginary friend, that’s right, how silly of me. If you look
around for him outside, I’m sure you’ll find him. But it will
take all four of you- he’s very elusive, kind of fades away when
you look at him.”
“Ma’am, either come with us, or
I’ll put you in handcuffs.”
“Yay! Handcuffs! It’s been
forever since I got to wear handcuffs- how long has it been since we
were arrested for grand theft auto, Josh?”
“I don’t know,” I said. “A
week?”
“No, that’s right,” said Alyssa,
“it was four days ago. Too long.”
The officer moved toward Alyssa, and I
instinctively got between them. I don’t know how, but somehow I
wound up on the ground almost immediately. Then something hard dug
into my wrists behind my back, and I was raised to a standing
position. As I did, I saw the other officer putting handcuffs on
Alyssa, who was not resisting at all, but making noises as though she
were having a massage.
As we walked out the door, I felt like
everyone was staring at me, partially because they were.
And I had to admit, Alyssa was
awesome.
The ride back to the mental
institution was mostly silent; the officers actually threatened to
put a gag in Alyssa’s mouth, for which I couldn’t blame them, and
she stopped afterward, mostly because I kicked her leg from my seat.
I didn’t know we were going back to
the mental institution till we arrived, and so I had plenty of time
to think. I was afraid. I didn’t know what was going to happen, I
didn’t know if my life would ever fix itself, or even if I could
trust myself to make sound decisions. I really had been lacking in
judgment tonight. I felt like I’d betrayed my parents’ trust,
and even the trust of the Brotherhood, which did not need escapades
like this to destroy their chances of further success. I wondered if
I’d go to jail. The thought scared me in some ways- a mental
institution for a year? How long would they give me? I was more a
juvenile delinquent than a criminal, but I didn’t know what to
expect. I had made a mistake.
And then the thought that had been
nagging at the back of my mind came through: Alyssa. I loved her, I
admired her, and I needed her. I was scared mostly, I realized, that
wherever I went, she wouldn’t be there with me. I was scared this
girl I had come to love would leave my life suddenly and forever. I
knew if we parted paths without somehow getting contact information,
we’d never be able to find each other. And that troubled me most.
I promised myself, swore it under my
breath as an oath, that whatever happened, wherever we went, I would
not lose contact with Alyssa. Not until it was something we both
wanted, and I wasn’t sure that would ever occur.
I was actually insanely joyful to see
the mental institution loom out of the window. My heart had started
racing when I recognized the street, and when we turned into the gate
and the small parking lot, I felt all the tension that was in me just
dissolve. I sighed, too.
The officer on the passenger’s side,
the one who had been dumbfounded and mute around Alyssa earlier,
chuckled. “Glad to hear you like where you’re going,” he said.
“But you’re going to be in there a long time after this.”
Chapter XXII: Goodbye
I awoke the next morning feeling like
everything was going to be all right. I just knew it. I actually
awoke before anyone knocked on my door, which was a first apart from
the morning Charles had killed himself. It was strange because I had
been up late the night before, since I had been at prom.
I was wondering how big of a mistake I
had made. I had broken everyone’s trust and done something utterly
stupid. But then, when I thought about it, I knew it was worth it.
Going to prom was just something I should be able to do. It was one
of the best nights of high school, and I had wanted to go since I was
a freshman.
I hadn’t talked to my parents yet,
and I was sure they were going to kill me- but a good night’s sleep
had put it behind me, and I honestly thought there was a chance
Alyssa and I would still get to see each other.
Someone knocked on the door, and I
made my bed and went outside.
“Vital signs,” said Amy, who was
at my door. She pointed down the hall.
I walked down the hall to a little
room next to the quiet time room and entered. There was a counselor
whom I had seen around but whose name I did not know, a blood
pressure machine, a scale, and Allen. Allen was in the chair to
check his blood pressure, and looked up at me happily.
“You have a good time last night?”
he asked.
“Yeah,” I said. He looked more
relaxed than I could ever remember him appearing before. “But I’m
worried about what’s going to happen now.”
He looked like he wanted to say
something he couldn’t, and I knew it was about the Brotherhood.
All he said was, “I’m sure things will work out, Josh”- and I
suddenly had reason to hope again.
The blood pressure machine had been
still, and now started detracting. It made that noise blood pressure
machines make, stopping and starting again here and there, and then a
moment or two later Allen stood.
“Your blood pressure’s good,”
said the counselor, scribbling something on a chart. “Now get on
the scale. Josh, come check your blood pressure.”
Allen finished checking his weight and
went to wait outside as the counselor scribbled a number on his pad.
My blood pressure check finished, and I didn’t even look or ask,
but he said it was fine. Then he had me stand on the scale.
As I saw the number go up to 189
pounds, I suddenly realized there were stretch marks on my arm.
“Whew!” said the counselor.
“You’ve gained fifteen pounds since you got here.”
I left trying to remember why I had
submitted to going on medicine. Still, I had to admit, it was better
than the alternative.
Allen said my name, and I jumped
around to see him leaning against the edge of the door.
“Listen,” he said quietly,
motioning for me to follow him to an empty spot of the hall where we
were most likely to be unheard, “we’re doing one last thing as
the Brotherhood of Charles. Maybe we’ll keep using it, maybe we
won’t, but for now, we’ve done you and Alyssa a big favor.”
My heart was thudding as I looked up
at him. “You’re getting us out of trouble?”
Allen smiled. “Think bigger.”
“Well it’s not like you could get
me out of here…”
“In time for graduation?”
“Yeah, I mean, it’s the day after
tomorrow…” My voice trailed off to the silent tune of his
beaming face. “You have no clue how grateful I am, Allen,” I
said.
“It’s for both of you,” said
Allen.
“Alyssa too?”
Allen looked behind him, where the
group was assembling. “Let’s try to keep quiet about it,” he
said.
I nodded. “Sure thing.”
At breakfast it was a jovial,
confident conversation. We all sat with Amy, who was in a good mood.
We also had a good morning group- everyone was over a five, and when
Alyssa exuberantly said she was a 10, my heart felt like it was going
to burst, and my very soul was alit by some sacred flame, a sacred
flame that would not extinguish anytime soon.
After morning group, of course, we all
went to school.
Amy left with a smile, and I thought
with humor of the latest example of the effect of the Brotherhood:
in morning group, someone or another had certainly passed some very
bad gas- and Amy had not acknowledged it.
As we all sat down, Mrs. Joy said
something that set us all on edge right away:
“I know what you’ve all been
doing,” she said.
Alyssa spoke up: “What have we been
doing, then?”
“Forging letters to get things done-
and I know every one of you is in it.”
There was dead silence.
“You don’t need to get yourselves
in trouble, now,” she said.
She paused. Still silence. “You
realize I could get every one of you in so much trouble it’s not
even funny? Possibly even jail?”
“What are you going to do?” I
asked. I had liked her up to this point, and couldn’t dislike her
for this even if it was the end of our escapades. Somehow I couldn’t
believe this was happening. Everything had been about to go through.
“You don’t know what I’m going
to do?” she said.
“No,” I said.
“Now come on, Josh, do you… I’m
not going to do anything!”
My first reaction: “What?”
“That’s ‘ma’am,’ Josh,”
she said.
“Ma’am?” I said.
“I’m not doing anything. I think
you’re all of you crazy for trying something so risky, but you know
I’d never send you to jail. Come on, Josh. I wish Ashley were
here- she’d set you straight.”
“You mean to say,” said Allen,
“that you’re really going to let this go?”
“Yes sir,” she said.
We were all exchanging bewildered,
happy looks now.
“We’ll stop, then,” said Allen,
“in gratitude.”
“Because of me? No! Just be a
little more careful, that’s all.”
Allen was outright grinning now, the
usual tension of his face gone.
“Mrs. Joy,” I said, “you have no
clue how much we love you.”
“Obviously it’s returned, else I
wouldn’t do this for you,” she said. “You all are like my
children. I’d do a lot to see things turn out right for you. I
love my students. I get the best, I always say.”
Somehow, school that day was both sad
and free. I was going to miss this woman. Even if I’d only known
her briefly, and not well, I felt a link to her that I could not
explain. Maybe it was because she’d been there when we needed it
most. Maybe it was how she was always smiling and helpful. But
somehow, regardless, I just knew I’d see her again. I knew it in
my soul, in my heart, somewhere deep that I could not explain, that
this was not the last time I would be seeing her or any of my peers
here.
Was it just denial? I wanted to
believe that Allen and I would keep in touch, that he’d still teach
me magick. I wanted to believe that Alyssa and I would be going out,
that our friendship would last past our love. I wanted to believe
that George was going to wake up a few mornings from now and help me
make my bed correctly.
I wanted to believe that what I’d
wanted since I’d gotten here was not about to happen.
The news came in evening group. Amy
told us that Alyssa and I were leaving the next morning.
“Now I want everyone to say their
partings to Alyssa and Josh, how you feel about their leaving,” she
said.
Allen was first. “It’s been a
ride,” he told me, then stopped. “I think that gets it best,”
he said to me, looking up at me. His tense face was full of
friendship. “And I want you to know, Josh- you could go anywhere,
do anything. You’re going to make it someday, Josh, just like Mrs.
Joy says- don’t let this kind of stuff happen again. Promise me,
Josh, that we won’t be here again.”
I smiled at him, actually on the verge
of tears. “I promise you, Allen,” I said, “that I am never
coming back. You promise me the same thing, dawg,” I said, feeling
a bit awkward using the word, but not caring anymore- “because I
feel like all of you here are the best friends I’ve ever had.”
“Thank you, friend,” said Allen.
He turned to Alyssa. “Alyssa, you just need to stop chasing
trouble.” We all laughed at that. “But when you simmer down
some, make sure you’re still fun and witty for my friend here.”
Amy’s face flashed with something at the verbal recognition of my
and Alyssa’s obvious intent to keep seeing one another- but it
passed, and Allen went on. “You’re a bright girl, and if you’d
just give yourself a chance, you could make it in this world. Maybe
as a comedian or something. Or an undercover police officer. Just
keep plugging along, and don’t let us down.” He turned to speak
to the group. “That goes for all of you, all of us,” he said.
“Don’t let each other down.”
Alyssa spoke then. “You are a
wonderful person, Allen,” she said, “and you’ve got more balls
than anyone I’ve ever known.” She paused. “Blessed be, or
whatever.”
Duane was after Allen. “You two, I
haven’t been here that long, but you two seem like some really cool
people. Like he said- don’t let us down.” I thought that was
it, but he went on. “Josh, I want to tell you again what I told
you in the dining hall- don’t stop searching for the truth. Know
yourself. I know it’s cliché, dawg, but that’s got to be the
best advice I can give you. You keep fighting your illness, cause
I’ve never seen a recovery that fast.”
“Neither have I,” muttered Amy,
and I was suddenly struck by just how lucky I was.
“Thank you, Duane,” I said. “You
don’t get back in that gang or anything- and we’ll stay clear of
this place ourselves.” I grinned. “I busted out of jail last
night- I’m walking out free tomorrow.”
“Alyssa,” said Duane, “for you-
you’re just the biggest player I’ve ever known. You keep doing
your thing, girl- you could do anything. And try not to tick off any
authority figures when you’re out of here, you heard?”
“So long as they don’t provide a
wide open target,” she said- “but, let’s face it, the power of
stupid people in large numbers is pretty big- especially in the
government.”
Amy flashed her a look like she wanted
to say something, but seemed to give up given the occasion.
Now it was George’s turn. “I’ve
really watched you grow, Josh,” he said. He paused.
“I know,” I said, our gaze locked
unflinchingly, without tension, on one another.
“You have no idea how far you’ve
come. When you came in here you couldn’t control your mouth, you
initially felt like you wanted to die, you couldn’t stand just to
sit for five minutes- look at you now. This place, and I know you’re
going to hate me for saying it, but it’s done you good. I think
you just need to get out there now in the real world, and make the
best of the second chance we’re all getting.”
“Thank you,” I said.
“And there’s one other thing,”
he said.
“Yeah?”
“I’d count you as a friend any day
of the week.”
“That’s because we are friends,”
I said, my voice soft. My eyes were moist now. “And I’m going
to miss you. I know you’ve been looking out for me since I got
here, and I’m grateful for that. I don’t think you always give
yourself enough credit, and you don’t seem to understand that
you’re a great person. And if I ever hear from a friend about
people in here, or any place like this- make sure I didn’t here it
was you, okay?”
“Now who’s watching out for who?”
he asked, and we all laughed quietly.
“Josh, you and Alyssa want to say
something to each other?” asked Amy.
“Why, I’m going to call him
tomorrow,” said Alyssa.
“We don’t allow outside contact
between patients,” said Amy.
“Well I knew that, now how does
that….”
“Alyssa,” I said quietly.
“Oh, all right.” She met my eyes,
and I started off:
“I’ve been enchanted by you since
the moment I saw you. When you first spoke, it was like a fairy had
dropped in and was screwing with…”
“Language, Josh,” said Amy.
“…messing with,” I corrected,
“all the people that I was having a rough time with. You were
truly a godsend. I really appreciate you coming into my life and
lighting it all on flame with something new and exciting. You gave
this place life, you gave me life, when I was dead inside- and I feel
so much better than I used to. You’re a good person, even if you
are a little crazy at times- but that’s what I love about you. Not
really that you’re pretty, not that you’re nice to me- just how
crazy you act sometimes. I really do feel like I’ve known you
forever. I feel like I’ve known all of you forever. And it’s
just that I’ve forgotten everything but the last week or so. And
maybe I won’t always remember what happened, not in here,” I
pointed at my head, “but you must all know, that I will always
remember it”- I pointed at my heart- “in here.”
Alyssa broke out in “aw,” then
started to speak, but stopped with a sniff. Then she said, “I love
you all.”
Amy went last. “Josh, I’ve also
watched you grow since you got here- I’ve watched you fight with
the counselors, lose your temper, be depressed and upset- and I’ve
also seen you handle difficult situations well, I’ve seen you show
courage, and I’ve seen you look out for people. I know you’re a
good person, I know you have a good heart- and I will know if you
come back, so don’t you show your face in here again because I know
you’re one of the most memorable faces I’ve seen come in here.”
“Was I that crazy?” I
asked, and everyone laughed with good feelings.
“And Alyssa,” said Amy, “I don’t
think you’re ready yet, but they’ve decided you are. If you do
break the no-contact rule, I’m hoping Josh will finish getting you
on the proper path in life. And don’t be scared to show love-
because love is always our greatest strength.”
“Thank you,” said Alyssa. “I’m
going to miss all of you. To you specifically, Amy, I’d tell you I
know I have a lot of room left to improve, but I’m going to promise
you all this now, that I am never, ever going to try to kill myself
again.” She stopped, tears she couldn’t stop going down her
face, and then she sobbed. “Thank you. I’m so glad I didn’t
succeed.”
And Amy gave a glance down the hall,
and slid an arm over Alyssa’s shoulders.
As we all sat around the room
listening to New Age music, I suddenly realized that it was true: I
didn’t want to leave. How strange, how inevitably, everyone that
left, by the time they left, no longer wanted to leave. How we all
came to love the place as much as we had once hated it.
Falling asleep that night, I didn’t
want to fade out. I wanted to stay awake, just so I would still have
my friends in the next rooms. I knew that this would continue for
them, that others would pass through these walls, that I was only one
patient- but I could barley admit it. In my heart, it seemed the
mental institution had been born when I went in, and would die when I
and my friends left.
I woke up the next morning with a
sudden lurching fear, the fear that I had actually fallen asleep
while I was trying to stay awake. I got up and had my bed made
before they knocked on my door.
I looked around me. This room was
going to belong to someone else in a few days. This window, someone
else would look out of it. This bed, someone else would sleep in it.
But a part of me could not believe that it had ever hosted anyone
else.
I went out my door, and that’s when
the joy hit me. I was going home! I was going to be free again!
And now that all my problems were behind me, I was going to live.
Even if I didn’t make it to college, I didn’t care anymore. It
just felt so good to be alive.
I couldn’t explain it, but just to
think of being in my room, of going for a walk outside, of seeing my
parents and talking to them- that filled me with joy. For right
then, in that moment that concluded the chapter of my life’s
greatest struggle (against mental illness), all I needed was to be
alive- and for the first time in months, I was.
I was the first out the door, but
Alyssa’s and George’s doors were open.
“Open your door,” said a big black
guy, someone I recognized as having originally taken me down when I’d
been tranquilized.
“Yes sir,” I said. He went on as
I opened my door slightly. It was strange- I felt no anger against
him, and he none against me. I still hated Roy and John for what
they’d done, but even that was fading. It was all passing me by.
John and Roy had not been evil or
anything. They had just been harsh and rude as a form of treatment
that hurt as much as it helped. But their day was over- at least
here. As was mine.
I realized that if George’s door was
open, he must be leaving, too, and I went to talk to him.
“Hey,” he said, coming to the
entranceway as I knocked. He was beaming. “I’m leaving too. I
didn’t know till the psychiatrist came in this morning.”
“I want to keep in touch,” I said.
George shook his head. “I’m going
to follow the rules,” he said. “They’re there for a reason.
Believe me, otherwise, I’d definitely come see your house and all-
but if we ever do run into each other by chance, I’ll definitely
talk to you.”
“You’re a good man, George,” I
told him.
“So are you.”
We looked at each other a minute,
knowing despite speculation that this was the absolute last time we
would see each other- and then I burst out laughing. “I want to
hug you,” I said, “or shake your hand or something.”
“Amy!” called George, looking over
my shoulder.
“Go ahead,” she said from behind
me.
And we shook hands, then hugged.
“Isn’t this against the rules?” I asked.
“No. Not on leaving.”
I backed up from him, and he went back
into his room.
I went back to my room and wrote my
number down on four slips of paper (just in case I was missing a few
people that I should think of, or in case I got caught or something)
and went to hand my number to Allen, who had stood in the doorway.
“You’re a promising Witch,” said
Allen. “And you’re a very strong individual.” He shoved a
piece of paper into my hand. “I will be seeing you,” he said.
“Stay sane.”
We hugged, and in his embrace I felt
the tension inside him, always so obvious, melt away a little. We
parted, his hands on my shoulders.
“Stay on your medicine, whatever you
do,” he said.
“I will,” I said.
“Now that’s a promise,” he said.
“You’d better keep it.” He eyed me keenly. “If you don’t,
I’ll know.” He dropped his hands from my shoulder and shook my
hand, saying, “You go have a hell of a good graduation ceremony.
Lord and Lady know, you’ve earned it.”
“Thank you,” I said, and walked
away to stand by Alyssa. We exchanged numbers discreetly, and then I
saw my parents.
I actually ran to them, and hugged
both of them. I was so happy. I could not believe this day had
finally come. It may sound silly to say a week had been a whole
different lifetime, but it had been.
“I’m so glad you’re doing
better, Josh,” said Mom.
“Yep,” said Dad.
“But you can’t run off like that,”
said Mom.
“I’m sorry,” I said.
Mom smiled gently. “You ready?”
I got what little of my stuff I had in
my room and followed them down the hall.
“Goodbye!” I hollered, and I heard
Alyssa laugh at my negligence for good form. At least she had found
it funny.
As we walked down the halls,
accompanied by the same nurse that had seen me in, my joy rose higher
and higher. In a minute, in just a minute, I was going to be outside
again. I was going to be free. I was sane. I was happy. And by
God- excuse me, the Lord and Lady- it felt good.
As we hit the parking lot, I ran to
the car, then around it, and finally slid across the hood. Mom and
Dad didn’t seem to care. They just laughed at my antics.
And we headed home.
Epilogue
I still remember the few seconds in
which I was walking across the stage getting my diploma. There was
more magick in that moment than in any spell Allen ever wound up
teaching me how to do.
I kept my promises. I stayed on my
medicine. I kept getting therapy, and tried my best not to go insane
again. My parents don’t believe in Witchcraft, but I know better
than to think that that’s a delusion of grandeur. But it’s
taught me that reality is not an absolute- it’s a little pool of
water that seems still and solid, but undergoes metamorphosis the
instant you dip so much as your finger into it. It really does
shift, and it shifts more and more the harder you look at it.
But being schizophrenic has allowed me
to see that clearly, while most people assume throughout their whole
lives that everything they know is real. I have the blessing of
knowing that that’s probably not the case- with me, or with anyone.
Even though I’m so firm in my beliefs, in the back of my head I
know- somewhere, I’m getting some detail completely wrong. And so
is everyone else.
By which I don’t mean to be
offensive. It’s just something to watch. And the harder you stare
at it, the more you’re going to realize the glass surface in front
of you can ripple, can shift, can deceive you.
Sometimes I wonder if maybe I’m
still crazy. Maybe Allen, me- maybe all of the people like us are
crazy. But I know I can’t let that get to me. If I lived my life
doubting everything that was in front of me, questioning whether or
not it was real- if I did that, then I know I’d never be able to
function in society.
Mom says this illness makes it harder
to think. I know she’s right, but I’m doing better, for the
moment. I learned a month ago, my sophomore year of college at USC-
yes, I did make it there, and I’ve kept my scholarship so far- that
I can still get depressed. I was about to cut myself again, for the
first time in years, when I remembered what I’d promised my friends
two years ago- that I would never return. And there was the thought
of my last words to Ashley before she left the mental institution: I
had promised her I’d never cut myself again while thinking
rationally. I knew she’d remember that promise if she ever found
out, and I felt shame at that thought.
And for that thought, I put the knife
down. I swore an oath never to do that again. I wasn’t going
back. Not now, not ever.
Because I can never truly rid myself
of my illness, which I long since admitted it was obvious I had. But
I can keep fighting. I can, and I will, always fight it.
Alyssa and I broke up a year ago, but
she, Allen and I are still friends. All of us have a great time
talking to each other. Sometimes the Brotherhood of Charles comes
up, and we all laugh and joke about it. We’re all at USC. It is
so good to see each other. Allen’s majoring in psychology.
Sometimes I wonder if one day he’ll treat me.
I still can’t get over my gratitude.
Every day, I still think of Charles, and think, “That could have
been me.” I think of all the people that successfully committed
suicide, and I think, “I could have been any one of them.” But
by some miraculous chance, here I am, alive, well, and happy.
And I can’t pinpoint that effect on
any one thing- but I know when it all changed. It changed when I was
there, in that hellhole, when I swore I’d never come back.
And to this day, I never have.
Comments
Post a Comment